Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 24th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,648Posts
    • 1,002Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Annoying Mcafee interface
    • 24th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    Annoying Mcafee interface 24th Nov 17 at 6:55 PM
    I use Mcafee as a paid-for anti-virus, with the main advantage being that it was much less intrusive than the free ones. I also persuaded my father to get it.

The new version has started opening the interface every time my computer boots, and having just come from a chat session with mcafee support there is no way to switch it off.

It has gone from something which ran quietly in the background to the most annoying AV I know.

Even more annoyingly my father has been trying to get rid of it and has ended up with some kind of installation screen for one of their other products which he cannot shut down at all. I'm going to have to take a trip this weekend to try and resolve it for him, otherwise he'll end up giving them £7.99 a month for something he doesn't need!
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 24th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 24th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    You may need to download the official McAfee removal tool. See https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 27th Nov 17, 1:10 AM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:10 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:10 AM
    I'm quite picky/fussy about certain things - AV being one. I won't even buy any Dell product because it comes preinstalled with McAfee - and yes I know I could remove it but its the principle. I'm a stickler like that and I dislike McAfee that strongly.

Just over a year ago switched to Kaspersky as a friend had spare codes going so I wasn't going to lose out if I didn't like it. Then went on to purchase myself (total security package which was around £35 from costco online for 10 licences over 3 user accounts for 1 year when i renewed just not long ago) to install on my parents machines.

Have it set up so their passwords are encrypted, any time they visit their bank etc it loads in a secure browser.

In over a year of use, the only time I can remember receiving a pop up of any kind was when the license was about to expire. So might be an alternative to look into if you haven't already found one.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 3,615 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    Not sure if it still holds true, but if you bank with Barclays you can get Kapersky Internet Security free. (For at least one user, possibly even a three machine licence).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • takman
    • By takman 27th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    I use Mcafee as a paid-for anti-virus, with the main advantage being that it was much less intrusive than the free ones. I also persuaded my father to get it.

The new version has started opening the interface every time my computer boots, and having just come from a chat session with mcafee support there is no way to switch it off.

It has gone from something which ran quietly in the background to the most annoying AV I know.

Even more annoyingly my father has been trying to get rid of it and has ended up with some kind of installation screen for one of their other products which he cannot shut down at all. I'm going to have to take a trip this weekend to try and resolve it for him, otherwise he'll end up giving them £7.99 a month for something he doesn't need!
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    Probably a bit late now but you should install Teamviewer on his computer. Then in future you can resolve any problems he has right away remotely if he relies on you for support.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 27th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    Not sure if it still holds true, but if you bank with Barclays you can get Kapersky Internet Security free. (For at least one user, possibly even a three machine licence).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Barclays still offers it, for two devices.

There's long been talk about Kapersky being used by the Russians as a spying tool. Barclays plans to drop the freebie next year for "commercial reasons":

Barclays will continue to offer Kaspersky anti-virus software to customers over the coming months, despite concerns about its Russian supplier’s alleged links to intelligence gathering by the Kremlin.

[...]

British surveillance network GCHQ suspects Kaspersky may have been used by Russian spying agency the FSB to gather intelligence on sensitive foreign targets, with military and government officials thought to be most exposed, the Financial Times has reported.

[...]

[Barclays] plans to end its contract with Kaspersky next year for commercial reasons. In the meantime it is expected to continue offering the software to customers who want it while their is no GCHQ advice to the contrary.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 9,943 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    As the Russian spying tool is !!!!!!!! i have renewed KTC for £7.

USA Spy tools Google MS Amazon Facebook and hundreds more .
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,468 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    You "PAID" for McAfee (giggles)

Uninstall it and use anything but that.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 30th Nov 17, 12:44 AM
    • 7,918 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:44 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:44 AM
    McAfee has always been annoying. Why complain about it now..?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 30th Nov 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    AndyPix
    NO BODY NEEDS TO PAY FOR ANTI VIRUS !!

#blueintheface
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 30th Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    By "long been talk about kaspersky" do you mean since the US government discovered it doesn't like their NSA spyware/cyber espionage attempts and treats it the same as any other malware?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 3rd Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    McAfee has always been annoying. Why complain about it now..?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Actually it hasn't been annoying for the last two years. I got the first year free and for all of that time it has been very unobtrusive. That's why I negotiated a reduced price renewal. Then they pull a stunt like this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter