Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • msajglover
    • By msajglover 24th Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    msajglover
    Dispute with roofer
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:21 PM
    Dispute with roofer 24th Nov 17 at 2:21 PM
    Afternoon,

I'm new on here and would really appreciate some advice.
    I have had a new roof on a side extension. It was paid for in three installments totalling £3875. The roofer arrived to day for the remaining balance and was shocked that it wasn't more. He was expecting £1000 more. My DH explained and showed him the payment schedule plus bank transfer record that he received £1850 1st off but the roofer claims he only asked for £800. My DH counted the 1st installment twice and I checked it once. Now he wants the rest of the money. Can someone advise as to what to do. It's our word against his.

Thanks
    Alison
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    What does the receipt he gave you say for the first payment?
    • msajglover
    • By msajglover 24th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    msajglover
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    Thanks for getting back to me. There is no receipt. He agreed to give a receipt at the end of the job when final payment given.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:49 PM
    Thanks for getting back to me. There is no receipt. He agreed to give a receipt at the end of the job when final payment given.
    Originally posted by msajglover

So you handed over almost £2000 and didn't get a receipt or confirmation of what you paid?

Your word against his, and with your only proof of payment the bank transfer totals I really cant see how you can prove that you paid more.

Any correspondence at all confirming what the initial payment was to be?
    • msajglover
    • By msajglover 24th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    msajglover
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    All we have is a piece of paper with the list of what each payment would be. In other building work I've only received a receipt once paid in full.
    What's done is done. We'll have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the response. ��
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 24th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    plus bank transfer record that he received £1850

You have proof of what you paid??..........what's the issue if you paid more on the first instalment.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:11 PM
    All we have is a piece of paper with the list of what each payment would be. In other building work I've only received a receipt once paid in full.
    What's done is done. We'll have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the response. ��
    Originally posted by msajglover

What does it say for the first payment?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    plus bank transfer record that he received £1850

You have proof of what you paid??..........what's the issue if you paid more on the first instalment.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4

seems they paid the first payment in cash
    • msajglover
    • By msajglover 24th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    msajglover
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    Sorry my post isn't clear. We paid each installment in cash - have done so many times and at the end of the job given a receipt. The roofer is claiming there wasn't £1850 in the 1st installment, only £850, yet I counted the money myself and watched my DH hand it over. Somehow the roofer has misplaced the £1000 and is claiming he never received it (a month after it was paid) I even heard my DH tell him to count it which he did. My concern is what can he do. Mistakes have been made by both parties however how does this get resolved. I have a piece of paper with the 3 different installment amounts. I have a bank transaction where £3875 was withdrawn, a great roof but no proof of the money changing hands.
    Can he he tear down my roof to the value of a £1000? Can he go through the small claims court? Hope this post is clearer.

Thanks for reading.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I don't believe he could tear down your roof, not legally anyway, could go to court,

Its fine to be wise after the event but I cant ever envisage me handing over large somes of cash with no acknowledgment its been received.

your bank transactions may support you in a court, however if you were paying in instalments why a withdrawal for the full amount?

What does the payment schedule say? If it tallies with what you believe you paid that would also support you, as if it wasn't why would it not be queried at the time
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,948 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Was the payment schedule drawn up by the roofer?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 24th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    seems they paid the first payment in cash
    Originally posted by glentoran99

Ohh ok. That's why I prefer cheque, direct transfer or a receipt.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 24th Nov 17, 9:55 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    docmatt
    Just stand your ground and tell him he is wrong. Roofers arenít the brightest of people plus they have bundles of cash from loads of different jobs he probably mixed up your money with someone elseís.

He wonít take you to court or rip your roof off it will expose him to the fact heís asking for cash which they never declare.

Just use the force and tell him again and again heís had the money. It should get through.
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 25th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Just stand your ground and tell him he is wrong. Roofers arenít the brightest of people plus they have bundles of cash from loads of different jobs he probably mixed up your money with someone elseís.

He wonít take you to court or rip your roof off it will expose him to the fact heís asking for cash which they never declare.

Just use the force and tell him again and again heís had the money. It should get through.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    Unbelievable!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 29th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    teneighty
    I had a friend who was in the roofers position, although it was for the total cost of the job not an installment and took the customer to court.

The customer claimed they had paid in cash and had bank statements to prove cash being withdrawn. The court found in favour of the customer and my friend was left unpaid for the work. Serves him right really he was a bit of a wally.

On the strength of that I think the OP is in a very strong position. By accepting cash and not issuing receipts the roofer could appear to be unprofessional and an unreliable witness so it will depend on who is most believable in court on the day.
    Last edited by teneighty; 29-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin