Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamesHadley
    • By JamesHadley 24th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JamesHadley
    Hidden charges on BT
    • 24th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    Hidden charges on BT 24th Nov 17 at 12:28 PM
    Hi

My father has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and to cut costs I am looking through all outgoings. He was running a self employed business and had been sold various things to benefit.
    On top of paying for the usual residential landline, he was also paying for a business landline, broadband and mobile.

He was aware of these but they have been increasing tariffs and he hasn't reacted.

His mobile is in contract until March 2019, is there anyway to get out of this contract?

Also my main concern is that there is a charge for 16.99 per month for a classified line. Having asked my dad he said they mentioned that there was a free entry when he first signed up. I have just spoken to BT and they have told me that a letter was sent out informing my dad that they would be charging in the future. My dad has no knowledge of this and they have charged £16.99*2 per month. I can cancel this but I am concerned that since 2014 they have been charging this which is possibly £1000+
Page 1
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 26th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 5,059 Posts
    • 5,201 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    I don't think there will be much you can do about these payments made to BT.

But I think it does point to how unscrupulous BT is when it comes to notifying customers, whether they be business or residential, about charging.

Ofcom should make it mandatory for all telecom companies to have an 'opt-in' requirement rather than an opt-out policy as we see here.

BT did the same with their BT Sport charges a few years ago when it introduced more than one channel, and many thousands fell foul of it.
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery." Mr Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    As that charge would presumably have been itemised in each bill received, i don't think that you are going to have any luck getting it refunded. There is minimal protection on business contracts, as opposed to residential.
    Should your father pass away before 3/19, the mobile contract will become void at that date, without penalty.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    phillw
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    His mobile is in contract until March 2019, is there anyway to get out of this contract?
    Originally posted by JamesHadley
    They might be prepared to downgrade it if you ask nicely. You may also be able to port your number to it and take it over, if you're not in contract.

I have just spoken to BT and they have told me that a letter was sent out informing my dad that they would be charging in the future. My dad has no knowledge of this and they have charged £16.99*2 per month. I can cancel this but I am concerned that since 2014 they have been charging this which is possibly £1000+
    Originally posted by JamesHadley
    Take a look at the monthly bills and if it's not obvious then you can raise a complaint with BT. You can pursue a complaint to the ombudsman for a small business (less than 10 employees). It's unlikely they'll refund the entire cost though. BT might make you a token offer to save them the cost of going to the ombudsman.

There is a thread about it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71132287&_ga=2.162183228.14710325 60.1512399304-886375946.1487093321#post71132287
    Last edited by phillw; 05-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter