Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 23rd Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 592Posts
    • 99Thanks
    madlyn
    Amazon Fire TV Stick
    • 23rd Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    Amazon Fire TV Stick 23rd Nov 17 at 7:59 PM
    If I was to subscribe to Netflix or Prime, is it possible to record shows onto my Virgin TIVO box?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 23rd Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 4,218 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    Nope, but if you subscribe to Netflix you can watch it on the TiVo box anyway
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 30,939 Posts
    • 19,563 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    If I was to subscribe to Netflix or Prime, is it possible to record shows onto my Virgin TIVO box?
    Originally posted by madlyn
    Nope you cant do that.

You can download films, tv series to a phone or a tablet so you can watch when your not connected to the net eg a car/bus journey etc.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • madlyn
    • By madlyn 23rd Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    madlyn
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    Thanks for the answers
    • orrery
    • By orrery 7th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    orrery
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    I bought an Amazon Fire Stick when they were cheap recently for £24 and even at that price it was a complete waste of money.

I have a severely disabled grandson and he watches a lot of the kids shows off BBC iPlayer and Milkshake on-demand, so I thought that this would be great for him, plugged into a big TV. The stick allows a search for things like Peppa Pig and School of Roars (no, don't ask) but it always returns only the chargeable pay-per-view options despite all the shows being available completely free on the catch-up services.

I'd rate is as a cynical rip-off.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    Of course a search of the firestick will produce results from the firestick (amazon)

If you want results from the catch up apps then you need to search within the catch up apps !!

nudge : Install kodi
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • molerat
    • By molerat 7th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 17,944 Posts
    • 12,209 Thanks
    molerat
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    I found over a hundred episodes of Peppa Pig and the same for Milkshake and its various spin offs. You need to install the My5 app.
    Last edited by molerat; 07-12-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • orrery
    • By orrery 7th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    orrery
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    Of course a search of the firestick will produce results from the firestick (amazon) ... If you want results from the catch up apps then you need to search within the catch up apps !!
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    But surely, with the voice remote, that's the whole idea - in fact, that is what the Alexa demo appears to show it doing. The problem is that the user might not know what app the programme is in. And yes, I have installed the various apps for the main channels.

If I search on my YouView box then it returns all content, including from within the apps.

I suspect that my best route here is to buy a straight Android TV box.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    But surely, with the voice remote, that's the whole idea .
    Originally posted by orrery

Yeah i agree - you would think so wouldn't you

I was very disappointed when i couldnt use it with kodi
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • LongLostFriends
    • By LongLostFriends 15th Dec 17, 9:14 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LongLostFriends
    Now available at Tesco Direct at a 25% discount. Cost is £29.99 saving £10. Is this the lowest price currently available?.
    • Chris1447
    • By Chris1447 23rd Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Chris1447
    We are on a contract with Virgin Media -Phone, broadband and TV-We just have a standard recording box -not Tivo- and we do not have a smart TV, so is the Amazon Firestick worthwhile for us. If so we shall look after Christmas when they are likely to be reduced in price in the sales. We have also heard you will be able to get U Tube through Firefox from the beginning of January Is that correct. The Amazon Firestick looks a lot neater and more compact than the other possible alternatives Roku express or Chromcast. Not sure how that would work. Any advise will be appreciated, Thank you.
    Last edited by Chris1447; 23-12-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 23rd Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    We are on a contract with Virgin Media -Phone, broadband and TV-We just have a standard recording box -not Tivo- and do not have a smart TV, so is the Amazon Firestick worthwhile If so we look after Christmas when they are likely to be reduced in sales. We have also heard you will be able to get U Tube through Firefox from the beginning of January Is that correct. Not sure how that would work. Any advise will be appreciated, Thank you.
    Originally posted by Chris1447
    chromecast maybe a better option if you just want youtube, iplayer etc. you will need a device (phone, tablet, pc or laptop) to cast from

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/chromecast-sausage-party-hd-rental-2199-rakuten-tv-2852326
    Last edited by dipsomaniac; 23-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • orrery
    • By orrery 23rd Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    orrery
    We have also heard you will be able to get U Tube through Firefox from the beginning of January Is that correct.
    Originally posted by Chris1447
    I've loaded Firefox, but few of the video formats play within it.

It would be more expensive, but I'd go for a straight Android TV box - there are good ones that will do 4K. That gives you the whole unrestricted catalogue of apps to download with no-one trying to restrict what you watch.

I've given the Firestick a second chance as I've got grandkids coming up over Xmas, so the various catch up services are useful so I can use the the Youview box to record at the same time. I've not changed my opinion of the Firestick - especially now that they're disabling Youtube on it (the two companies are having a spat). I also tried to download BBC Radio player (iPlayer only does TV and Radio 1) but it isn't available for Firestick.

I'll order a full Android TV box for about £60 and the Firestick will go in the bin. Not even good value for under £30.
    • henm2
    • By henm2 23rd Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    henm2
    'Firestick will go in the bin' What a waste as they are great with a properly set up Kodi installation.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 23rd Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7,659 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Stompa
    I've loaded Firefox, but few of the video formats play within it.
    I've not tested it very extensively, but I've yet to have a YouTube video fail to play.
    Stompa
    • orrery
    • By orrery 23rd Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    orrery
    'Firestick will go in the bin' What a waste as they are great with a properly set up Kodi installation.
    Originally posted by henm2
    It was bought for the simple voice remote that can search for content (as per the TV advert) for a severely disabled and brain damaged child, to easily access programmes on 5/milkshake. I'm not sure a Kodi installation will really cut it, but thanks for the suggestion.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 24th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    I'll order a full Android TV box for about £60 and the Firestick will go in the bin. Not even good value for under £30.
    i am not a fan of firesticks due to the bloat but talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. apart from the bloat android boxes date due to restrictions on updates.

raspberry pi are cheap, flexible and easy to program/update and is my first choice media player with chromecast a close second.

as you only want to watch the 'players' wouldn't a better option be a chromecast voice controlled by a phone or tablet?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • orrery
    • By orrery 25th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    orrery
    ...but talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire. apart from the bloat android boxes date due to restrictions on updates.

raspberry pi are cheap, flexible and easy to program/update and is my first choice media player with chromecast a close second.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Interesting views, but the Chromecast puts me back into a proprietary box which is what I'm trying to avoid - note the current Youtube spat that means that it disappears from the Firestick in a few days and I don't want that sort of control over what we do with it.

The Android boxes (a huge choice with lots of processing power and memory options) gets me a pure vanilla platform that should have the widest choice of apps. It also gets me an interface that is well known to almost everyone - very important as young lad is looked after by a team of about 6 nurses on shifts, and they're going to have to drive it. That rules out a Pi.

I had some time playing with a pure Android TV (a Cello) and it was a very pleasant surprise (it really needs a proper keyboard and mouse, but that is fine).

I'm also assuming that I can load TeamViewer onto an Android box so I can control it / do setup / diagnose issues remotely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,179Users online

Martin's Twitter