Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 23rd Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Gorie
    Planning for Flue / Chimney
    • 23rd Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    Planning for Flue / Chimney 23rd Nov 17 at 7:22 PM
    I live in a relatively new house, circa 1990, and wish to install a wood burning stove into the lounge. As the house does not have a chimney a double lined aluminium chimney needs to go out then up the external wall at the side of the house (above my land).

I've spent ages googling and reading and can state the following:
    • The front of my house faces the road and chimney/flue will not be on this aspect (it will be the side). It won't go more than one meter above the roofline.
    • The house needs a DEFRA approved stove as its in a 'smoke control area under the clean air act 1956'.
    • It is not in a conservation zone.
    • I have a HETAS engineer to install and sign the appliance off.

My question is do I need planning permission to install this new chimney/flue?

My house has 'an article 4 directive meaning there are no permitted development rights'. Annoyingly I have spoken to Oxford council planning (they have a drop in service) and was informed that I would need to pay £40 for some provisional planning application advice and they couldn't say?!.

My HETAS installer states that he really isn't sure and that I should check with planning. The local stove shop have told me I do not need permission.

I'm concerned that the month turn around and £40 for written advice from the council will extend the project and equally increase the cost as in this case planning applications are free (except for drawings). If I do apply for planning and its not needed I have wasted the fee for drawings and also potentially waited ages!

If anyone knows any more about this stuff / has any advice it will be well appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Gorie; 23-11-2017 at 7:23 PM. Reason: typo
Page 2
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 24th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,573 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Clearly Cakeguts from your post you donít understand it.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    OK it is only what I have learned from our woodburning stove.
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 25th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    Anyone know any tools to make architectural drawings?

Reading all the above:

Planning where permitted developments have been removed (in Oxford) is free (not sure about elsewhere).

I would love to actually build an eco house but everything can be argued (wood vs gas, cost of installation materials and environmental costs in production etc...) the crunch of it is I my fire would be environmentally friendly and its personal taste etc... Most companies that sell the wood state they plant two trees for one chopped down making this sustainable (although trees do take time to grow). I use gas too and would use more if I could plant some dinosaurs

From what I understand a properly heat rated fire (i.e. not too big for the room in terms of kw output) encourages hot and efficient burning and therefore the hot smoke rises quickly and dissipates rapidly. Larger fires are often not fully lit and therefore do not burn as efficiently. Of course what you burn is important too.

All that said - I need to now draw a plan of my chimney - before I get my graph paper our or a scale ruler does anyone know of any free programmes / apps I can do this in?

Thanks
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 25th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Try www.smartdraw.com
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 4th Dec 17, 2:17 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    Thanks for that - Smart draw looks good.

Looks like i'll have a log burner in time for summer!
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 4th Dec 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    martinsurrey

Planning where permitted developments have been removed (in Oxford) is free (not sure about elsewhere).
    Originally posted by Gorie

Thanks for that - Smart draw looks good.

Looks like i'll have a log burner in time for summer!
    Are you in Oxford?

Have you read the article 4 direction?

An article 4 direction doesn't necessarily remove ALL permitted development rights, they remove specific rights, which are detailed in the direction.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/downloads/20189/article_4_directions

No mention of removing the right to an external chimney.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 4th Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    When we did our extension we weren't allowed to have the chimney stack on the outside so it takes up space in the lounge and one of the bedrooms. We live in a semi rural area with no near neighbours.
    • Gorie
    • By Gorie 6th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Gorie
    Thanks Martin - I've looked on that link but does it not pertain to just Article 4 directions for HMO and change in usage (residential to commercial) not too sure how this applies to just residential properties.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 6th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    Unless you walk to the managed wood, chop down the trees with your own hands using a saw or axe and then walk back home with the wood on your back, then there is still an environmental cost to the wood. That's apart from the loss of habitat for animals and flora.
    I take the point about the gas and electricity but just wanted to point out that there is an environmental cost to all fuels.
    Then there's the smoke that stoves emit and the smell... Which even if your stove meets current regs, as the ones in my area must do, then it is still inconsiderate to your neighbours.
    Originally posted by Running On Empty
    My parents had a tree in their garden that died (It was a huge tree) they have been using the wood for the last three years and probably have another three years to go.

Dad cut it down and chopped it up, it's stored next to his workshop so no environmental costs there.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 6th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    Thanks Martin - I've looked on that link but does it not pertain to just Article 4 directions for HMO and change in usage (residential to commercial) not too sure how this applies to just residential properties.
    It doesn't.

That's my point.

There are no Article 4 Directions (that I can find on the council website, which are normally 100% correct) that remove standard permitted development rights for home owners, at all, in Oxford.

So no planning required at all for what you need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin