Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sad. Sack
    • By Sad. Sack 23rd Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 172Thanks
    Sad. Sack
    How did you get your current job?
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    How did you get your current job? 23rd Nov 17 at 5:47 PM
    How did you get your current job?

Did you apply to advert, use an agency, get given it because you knew the right person or just right place, right time?
    I like roast potatoes, i do.
Page 2
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 29th Nov 17, 11:12 PM
    • 8,764 Posts
    • 13,374 Thanks
    worried jim
    I got my last two jobs through employment agencies after posting my CV on various job websites. Trouble with recruitment agents is that once they've got your details they never ever let up and are impossible to shake off.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I was working as one after getting made redundant in 2004, only job Iíve ever had that I absolutely hated, made me sick and was prescribed anti depressants. I thought it was silly taking medication when I knew what the cause was so I quit and walked out with no job to go to. Felt brilliant the moment I left the building and never took another pill again.

However, I knew of a huge international bank that was recruiting local to me after talking to a colleague before I walked out so knew the specifics. Went to the open day, got picked for a telephone interview, followed up with face to face and started 4 months after quitting the last one.

Had to start at the bottom but after 18 months I started applying internally and now many years later I am very happy and doing okay. Huge amounts of redundancy since the financial crash wish Iíve come through okay and now just have to survive the onslaught of the bots and automation. Banking is going to change so fast and so rapidly over the next 5-7 years that I can see jobs across the entire sector being halved. I just need to get to 55 and Iíll be happy.

I consider myself very fortunate, job great, people I work with great, office 3 miles away with free parking, package great, pension scheme keeps me awake with excitement.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 2nd Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Had already applied a number of times and then registered for their in-house temp service. Just after starting a temp job at Royal Mail, they called me but I said no. Then when it became clear the temp job at Royal Mail was going nowhere anyway, they called me again so I jumped at it. Had a very informal interview one Thursday night after working at RM, got the job the next day and started the following Monday. I was a temp up to that Xmas and then got this actual job that I'm doing just before Xmas in the first of many restructures, which I started in Jan 2005. I did an awful interview but got it on merit, as was confirmed to me by the manager who interviewed me years later.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £0 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66
    (SPCNo.10 £682.31 * SPCNo.9 £442.64 * inc Quidco to 2/11/17 £249.69) *
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter