Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tkel01
    • By tkel01 23rd Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 7Thanks
    tkel01
    stamp duty payment deadline
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    stamp duty payment deadline 23rd Nov 17 at 5:00 PM
    All

Ive been told that you have 30 days to pay stamp duty after completion. Do i jusy tell My conveyancer that i plan to do this myself....is it as simple as that?

thanks
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 23rd Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 5,575 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    All

Ive been told that you have 30 days to pay stamp duty after completion. Do i jusy tell My conveyancer that i plan to do this myself....is it as simple as that?

thanks
    Originally posted by tkel01
    No

not sure how many times this has been explained?

If you need a mortgage to purchase the property then the conveyancer is required by the Council of mortgage lenders to ensure that all funds required to complete the purchase are in the hands of the conveyancer before completion. ie you must transfer the SDLT money to the conveyancer before the completion date, the conveyancer is then responsible for paying it to HMRC by the 30 day deadline.

The lender will not release the mortgage funds until the conveyancer confirms all the ducks are in a row ready to go

the 30 day deadline is practical for DIY only where you have no mortgage and are paying the SDLT yourself in cash
    • tkel01
    • By tkel01 23rd Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tkel01
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    No

not sure how many times this has been explained?

If you need a mortgage to purchase the property then the conveyancer is required by the Council of mortgage lenders to ensure that all funds required to complete the purchase are in the hands of the conveyancer before completion. ie you must transfer the SDLT money to the conveyancer before the completion date, the conveyancer is then responsible for paying it to HMRC by the 30 day deadline.

The lender will not release the mortgage funds until the conveyancer confirms all the ducks are in a row ready to go

the 30 day deadline is practical for DIY only where you have no mortgage and are paying the SDLT yourself in cash
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Thanks for the explanation.....despite my question clearly annoying you!
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 23rd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 32,391 Posts
    • 17,393 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    We really need a few stickies and ground rules.

First, 'one purchase/transaction, one thread'. We get far too many new threads for questions on the same transaction. IIRC we had one member start twenty-three threads on their purchase.

Next, a FAQ would be useful so we don't have to write bespoke answers to the same questions which crop up several times a day.

I'd be interested in other members' thoughts...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 23rd Nov 17, 6:02 PM
    • 5,575 Posts
    • 4,976 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 23rd Nov 17, 6:02 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 6:02 PM
    I'd be interested in other members' thoughts...
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    been asked for almost as many times as posters have failed to use the search function before posting

I'm not aware of any official response, but patently it hasn't happened either

the only thread I'm aware of that has been produced with a deliberate view of centralising things is the Land Registry questions thread, but as that has not been made a sticky, I don't understand how "they" expect new users to find it and use it. Although I accept it does get used a lot more than i thought it would so clearly that approach has merit.
    • Suman170
    • By Suman170 5th Dec 17, 1:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Suman170
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 AM
    Hi tkel01, I saw your post about your mortgage from leeds. I just wanted to know if they did final credit check before completion?? I have got a mortgage offer leeds for a shared ownership property, just waiting to exchange contracts but very worried, I have been reading all sort of horrible stories about how people’s mortgage offer withdraw the last minute.. would really appreciate it if you could share your experience. Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,750Posts Today

6,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin