Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 23rd Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 52Thanks
    paddycharlie
    Dash Cam Recommendations?
    • 23rd Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    Dash Cam Recommendations? 23rd Nov 17 at 12:56 PM
    I am picking up a new (used) car on Saturday and decided to get a dash cam as I have had quite a few close calls in the last year with my old car and bad drivers.

I would consider a front and back cam but probably just get a front cam for now. I also wouldn't know enough to be able to wire it up to the battery or anything like that.

Can anyone recommend a cheap dash cam? Or even a moderately priced one which I can look out for in Black Friday sales?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 23rd Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 31,953 Posts
    • 37,690 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    Article in today's daily mail on just this subject

Available online to read
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 23rd Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    Thanks I had a look on Daily Mail and most of the cams they show don't have a great customer review on Amazon except for the Next Base ones
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 23rd Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 6,365 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 23rd Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    I have a couple as I do a high mileage and drive different vehicles for work.
    Ones a Nextbase the others a Smartwitness, I’ve had some problems with the smartwitness however it’s still in operation after 4 years hard use.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/412gw-dash-cam/

http://smartwitness.com/us/vehicle-camera-applications/personal-vehicle.html
    Last edited by ohreally; 23-11-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 23rd Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 23rd Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    Do they all have to be plugged in to the cig lighter?
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 23rd Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    • 23rd Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    I have a couple as I do a high mileage and drive different vehicles for work.
    Ones a Nextbase the others a Smartwitness, Iíve had some problems with the smartwitness however itís still in operation after 4 years hard use.
    Originally posted by ohreally

From the Amazon Review the Next Base ones look good so I will keep an eye out for those in the Black Friday sales tomorrow
    • mchale
    • By mchale 23rd Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    mchale
    • 23rd Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    Drive pro 100 with suction mount.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 28th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 6,365 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5698383 £99.99, go.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 28th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 5,963 Posts
    • 35,629 Thanks
    Gers
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    I’ve had a Nextbase 512G for about a year. Fantastic quality, wide vision, night vision, date / time stamp, speed display and location co-ordinates all clear on playback.

The first time I needed footage the other day I found the relevant file corrupted. Nextbase were brilliant, I sent it to them by WeTransfer and it was sent back to me half an hour later repaired and showing the incident. I hadn’t reformatted the card for a while.

So, great bit of kit and great service. Always a winner, not cheap but hard enough evidence to save me thousands. Oh, and I got my hardwired in at my local garage, half an hour and £30.00.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 29th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    I had ordered a dash cam from Amazon during the Black Friday sale but they tried to charge me full price so I cancelled it so still on the lookout.

I like the look of the Nextbase 512G but have read that the 512GW is a bit better so I am going to keep a lookout for a deal on that one.

I've gone from looking to spend £50 on one to about £150 but it will be worth it if I ever need to use it.

Also my car will only be mainly used once or twice a week as it is a glorified shopping trolley for the most part, would hard wiring the dash cam cause issues for the battery?
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 29th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Alexd52
    When we say hard wired, you can still unplug the dashcam and remove it from its mount.
    I have one hardwired and remove it at night or if I am parked somewhere dodgy!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 29th Nov 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I had ordered a dash cam from Amazon during the Black Friday sale but they tried to charge me full price so I cancelled it so still on the lookout.

I like the look of the Nextbase 512G but have read that the 512GW is a bit better so I am going to keep a lookout for a deal on that one.

I've gone from looking to spend £50 on one to about £150 but it will be worth it if I ever need to use it.

Also my car will only be mainly used once or twice a week as it is a glorified shopping trolley for the most part, would hard wiring the dash cam cause issues for the battery?
    Originally posted by paddycharlie
    It could if it was done wrong or the camera didnt check the battery level and shut off when it got low.

There's a neat device you can buy (forgot the name unfortunately) which is a battery you wire in as well, your camera feeds off that battery (which is itself charged from your car battery) , and the battery also contains smarts to monitor the car battery voltage and switch off if it gets too low. Because its a battery it can allow the camera to run whilst the car is unattended.

I'll get one of those when i next own a car, my next car will be on PCH so i dont fancy altering anything on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,418Posts Today

7,783Users online

Martin's Twitter