Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanreid54
    • By alanreid54 23rd Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    alanreid54
    0 WOW
    Obtaining foreign currency using Halifax credit card
    • 23rd Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Obtaining foreign currency using Halifax credit card 23rd Nov 17 at 12:52 PM
    When checking the best exchange rates, the Halifax credit card always comes out top. Can someone please explain to me how to get the currency at this rate? Do you have to go into a local bank in the country you're visiting because you certainly don't get it from ATMs. Thanks
Page 1
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 23rd Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 23rd Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    You get it from ATMs.

Can this thread be moved to the right forum, please? Ta!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 24th Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    You certainly do get it from ATMs, as long as you avoid conversion by the ATM at its own usually terrible exchange rate (DCC). Decline being billed in pounds so that MasterCard converts at the ideal rate. Or spend with the card, also always paying in local currency.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 24th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Westin
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    Make sure it is a Halifax CLARITY credit card.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 24th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    When checking the best exchange rates, the Halifax credit card always comes out top. Can someone please explain to me how to get the currency at this rate? Do you have to go into a local bank in the country you're visiting because you certainly don't get it from ATMs. Thanks
    Originally posted by alanreid54
    There was similar thread to this on one of the Tripadvisor forums. The problem was that the OP had accepted the ATM operators kind offer to do the currency conversion at a fixed (and very poor) rate rather than let Halifax do it.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 25th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 25th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    You certainly do get it from ATMs, as long as you avoid conversion by the ATM at its own usually terrible exchange rate (DCC). Decline being billed in pounds so that MasterCard converts at the ideal rate. Or spend with the card, also always paying in local currency.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Agreed. Recently returned from the USA and used my Clarity card at an atm and got a very good rate of exchange, but you must decline the offer to be billed in pounds.
    • photome
    • By photome 26th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    photome
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    As everyone else says, you do get it from an ATM. It does need to b a clarity card and donít ask the atm to do a conversion.

Wonder if the OP will ever return
    • alanreid54
    • By alanreid54 1st Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alanreid54
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    Thanks for all the advice and apologies for posting on the wrong forum
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Thanks for all the advice and apologies for posting on the wrong forum
    Originally posted by alanreid54
    You're welcome.

Why is this the wrong forum?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 1st Dec 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Westin
    see post 2 and 3. It was moved to this correct forum after being posted initially elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin