Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 22nd Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 2Thanks
    sunnys8080
    benefits and supported accommodation
    • 22nd Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    benefits and supported accommodation 22nd Nov 17 at 10:29 PM
    I'm 37 male who has bipolar, ocd and alcohol misuse. I live with my mum and am soon moving into council supported accommodation for people with mental health problems.

I'm in the support group of esa and medium rate pip.

Do you think they'll take me of pip and put me into the wrag group for esa?
Page 2
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 2nd Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    I'm just assuming. It's just that I was only entitled to it because my mum cooks my food, washes my clothes, prompts me to take meds because I either forget or don't have motivation to take them, she washes clothes, tells me when i need to bathe etc... And also controls my money.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 2nd Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Oh dear. The supported housing there putting me in is for substance misusers not mentally ill people. The council told me. That means I will not be prompted to have a bath, cook my meals, they will teach me to budget my money. They are definitely going to take away my pip which i've only just one after appeal.

I can't believe this.
    Originally posted by sunnys8080
    Substance misuse is a mental illness. It's very likely other residents will also have other mental health conditions alongside their addiction.

If your support team identify that you need support with bathing etc, that will be part of your care plan. How are you managing currently?

Cross posted. Do you want help to do these things more independently? That is what your support workers will focus on, helping you live without depending on your mum.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 2nd Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 16,584 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    I'm just assuming. It's just that I was only entitled to it because my mum cooks my food, washes my clothes, prompts me to take meds because I either forget or don't have motivation to take them, she washes clothes, tells me when i need to bathe etc... And also controls my money.
    Living in supported housing is more likely to back up your claim that you need help and support to do things.

If your mum wasn't there to do those things would you do them yourself? I suspect the answer is 'no', so you'd still qualify. It doesn't matter what help you get, it's what help you need.

Needing help to cook food isn't just about knowing how to cook. If someone teaches you to cook, but you'd be dangerous doing it on your own, or wouldn't bother doing it on your own, then you'd be classed as being unable to do it for PIP purposes.

The same with all the other things. If your mum didn't tell you to have a bath would you do it? Would you wash your clothes or wear the same things every day?

I know it's easy for me to say, but please, please stop worrying. You've got enough going on with the move, you don't need to worry about benefits.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 4th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    Thank you very much everyone for responding. I've contacted mind and they gave me the number for turn2us and scope. They say it should't affected my pip because it's in supported living and not a care home but thinks might be different if I apply for severe disability which I'm not entitled to at the moment because I live with mum.

But thanks for the advice anyway.
    • nicetomeetyou
    • By nicetomeetyou 4th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    nicetomeetyou
    It won't effect your severe disability premium if you how own tenency agreement.
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 4th Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    Thanks, I've phoned the jobcentre to send me a severe disability premium form. I'm going to tell the staff everything regarding how I live my life day. It's just that I hated the way the staff at phoenix futures treated me back in 2011/2012. They forced me to do volunteer work and courses. If I didn't do it I would get told off and get a warning. They also told me once I leave there the jobcentre would put me on JSA.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 4th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 16,584 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames
    There are two different things going on here, and people (including MIND) are getting confused.

People in a care home aren't allowed to claim PIP. So when you're asking 'does living in supported housing mean I won't get my PIP', they assume this is what you're talking about. This doesn't affect you, because it's not a care home that you're moving to.

What you're worried about is that living on your own is going to affect how many points you'll get for PIP. When you talk to professionals you need to be clear that this is what you're talking about, not the rules about care homes.

What are Phoenix Futures? It sounds like they were some kind of work related activity provider, and that you were in the WRAG group of ESA? What group are you in now?

The Severe Disability Premium is just about basic facts - do you live alone? Does anyone claim carer's allowance? Do you get Daily Living PIP? Do you get means tested ESA? It shouldn't trigger a review of your PIP, and it shouldn't mean you have to go to the jobcentre.

• sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 5th Dec 17, 8:21 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    Thanks a lot. Phoenix futures was a supported accommodation and they were work related activity focused but the one I'm moving into this week isn't. I have an appointment with them today to have a look around. It's this Thursday I move.

I'm in the support group for esa and have been for years. Phoenix futures made the jobcentre take me off it and put me in the wrag. I hated it there.

I'm also off the alcohol now. This is my 5th day sober. I did it myself using diazepam I ordered off the internet. I'm going to tell the alcohol services this.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Thanks a lot. Phoenix futures was a supported accommodation and they were work related activity focused but the one I'm moving into this week isn't. I have an appointment with them today to have a look around. It's this Thursday I move.

I'm in the support group for esa and have been for years. Phoenix futures made the jobcentre take me off it and put me in the wrag. I hated it there.

I'm also off the alcohol now. This is my 5th day sober. I did it myself using diazepam I ordered off the internet. I'm going to tell the alcohol services this.
    Moving from one addiction to another is not the answer to your problems. Please speak to a medical professional about this urgently, benzos are not something to mess with.

No one forced the Jobcentre to move you to the WRAG. That decision will have been made based on your condition at the time.

Don't be surprised if your new support workers encourage you to work towards voluntary work, and over time towards paid work. That may seem daunting but that's the point of getting support, to help you move towards a level of independence.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 5th Dec 17, 2:17 PM
    • 16,584 Posts
    • 29,014 Thanks
    Ames

Well that explains why you're so worried about your PIP.

I don't know much about supported housing, but it doesn't sound right that they'd be officially work related activity providers. Do you mean that they worked with people to get them ready for work? It sounds like you perhaps weren't ready for the level of activity they were providing and that your new place will be better for you.

Phoenix Futures wouldn't have been able to make the jobcentre take you off ESA. Only the ESA department can do that, and they're not based in jobcentres. Did they actually take you out of the support group or did they arrange for you to take part in work related activity? If they took you out, how did you get back into the support group?

I'm sure you already know this, but buying medication on the internet is a really bad idea, especially when it's something like Diazepam. That's something that should only be prescribed by doctors because it's addictive and people taking it need to be closely monitored by their doctor. And as I Am Wales said, it's not dealing with your alcohol problems just replacing them with a new set of problems.

I think from what you've said you have a lot of appointments coming up over the next week, to do with accommodation and seeing your psychiatrist. Maybe you should work on a list of things to ask each person (I've got two hospital appointments this week, I write down all the things I want to ask because I always forget when I'm there).

• sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 7th Dec 17, 7:33 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    Thanks guys. I've been off the valium since Saturday. I only took it for two days and then didn't suffer withdrawal symptoms after that. I was also taking codeine which I was prescribed for pain a few days after and have been clean from that for three days.

My psychiatrist wants me to be clean a few months before prescribing new meds. At the moment I take Lithium (a mood stabiliser) and we were talking about taking antipsychotics.

I'm never touching alcohol or drugs again. Also the rehab accomodation phoned up yesterday and it's next Tuesday the 12th I'm moving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin