Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ange47
    • By Ange47 22nd Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Ange47
    Park Direct UK
    • 22nd Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    Park Direct UK 22nd Nov 17 at 9:19 PM
    Hi guys, I have read the main NEWBIE post but I still have some questions.

Briefly, I live in a flat complex and have an allocated parking space. Apparently it's common knowledge between residents that people tend to park on other people's spaces. This was my case. My parking place was taken, so, in order not to cause someone else an inconvenience, I parked right next to my bay, where it says KEEP CLEAR. That is the reason of the fine from Park Direct UK.

I then appealed to them with no success, even though I added the picture of a car parked in my spot. I then appealed with IAS, who aswell, understand my circumstances but apparently I BROKE THE LAW so I still have to pay.

Question 1: I'm inclined to ignore this now. My question is, as for work/life reasons I keep relocating, will it be enough of me to change the car's address with the DVLA or would I need to notify anyone else?

Question 2: How long do they have to take me to court? Ticket was issued on the 26/10/2017. Have they got some deadline? I wouldn't want to still be worried about this in 5 years, although I probably will have forgotten.

Question 3: Has anyone ever been taken to court by Park Direct UK?

I will keep photographing people parked on my spot, as it happens regularly, and I mentioned this to them. While they try and be picky with me parking on the KEEP CLEAR sign, their sign also says NO AUTHORISED VEHICLE ALLOWED, and yet many non-authorised vehicles have parked on my spot so far...

Thank you for your help!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 34,145 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 22nd Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    If you have read the FAQ you will know that appeals to IAS are futile

So you are now in the debt collectors stage (covered in the FAQ!)

Creditors have 6 years to take legal action

If you get any court correspondence or a LBCCA come back for advice on defending at that time
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Nov 17, 11:01 PM
    • 16,356 Posts
    • 25,452 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:01 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:01 PM
    I then appealed with IAS, who aswell, understand my circumstances but apparently I BROKE THE LAW so I still have to pay.
    Which ‘LAW’ did they say you ‘BROKE’?

Question 1: I'm inclined to ignore this now. My question is, as for work/life reasons I keep relocating, will it be enough of me to change the car's address with the DVLA or would I need to notify anyone else?
    You must update the DVLA (two separate notifications for your V5C - log book - and your driver’s licence). Otherwise you chance a real fine of up to £1,000.

Notifying the DVLA of a change of address doesn’t update the PPC (or any agent acting on their behalf), so for your own peace of mind (and safety in terms of any court action) you must update all parties as and when, and continue doing so for any subsequent move for the next 6 years.

Question 2: How long do they have to take me to court?
    Six years.

Question 3: Has anyone ever been taken to court by Park Direct UK?
    Yes.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Park_Direct_UK.html

But you need to read that in the context of how many tickets they have issued in the same period.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 23rd Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    ONly update the principal, not the debt collectors. You can ignore them entirely.
    • Ange47
    • By Ange47 26th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ange47
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    The IAS basically said that since I parked outside of my parking bay and over the KEEP CLEAR sign, I agreed to the terms on the sign (which mentions to park only in parking spaces).

Not planning to move anytime soon and if I get any letters from debt collectors I'll look into them to make sure I can ignore them. (FAQ seem to say about Ireland and Scotland, and hire car at the debt collector stage bit?)

Question: When is it that I have to start worrying? Is it clear when the court has been involved and there's an ongoing small claim?

To be honest with you guys, I hate having to deal with this, it's just a waste of time, for a stupid unfair ticket. I considered paying for it but first of all, it's not the classic £25 ticket you get from the council, but it was 60, gone up to £100 now. which is a lot of money, just because these idiots from Park Direct can't look after the property they manage, causing non-allowed cars to steal people's spots and secondly, regardless whether I pay or not, people will keep steal other people's parking spots and if I paid and this were to happen to me again I'd probably go seriously crazy.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Nov 17, 10:56 PM
    • 34,145 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:56 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:56 PM
    Ignore everything now except s lbcca or Court correspondence
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 27th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,697 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    If theyre not performing their part of the service contract, i..e stopping unauthorised parking, then get them removed.
    • Ange47
    • By Ange47 11th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ange47
    • 11th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    Last reminder
    • 11th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    Hi guys,

after the refusal from IAS to my appeal I have just received a letter from Park Direct UK. Saying that if I don't pay they will take court proceedings against me.

I am aware of the 38 court hearings out of the 16002 tickets issued. I'm wondering if even half of those were paid.

I will ignore this as again, asking £100 for parking somewhere else after these bunch of clowns allowed an un-authorised vehicle to park in my spot is not acceptable.

To sum it up I just need to worry if I get corrispondence from the court or LBCCA, right?

Also worst case scenario, if it went to court and I lost, how much do you think I'd end up paying? I mean how much are court costs and solicitors?

Thanks again in advance, your help is precious.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 17,179 Posts
    • 21,466 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    you need to deal with either an

LBC from PARK DIRECT or their sc@mmer solicitors like Gladrags

and/or

an MCOL from Northampton CCBC, the government office for issuing court claims

either or both could happen within 6 years

these need responding to, not debt collector letters or threats about court

a likely loss for one ticket could be say £175 , its called small claims court because it is for small claims and costs are capped

it could be less , depends on the judge , you might win, in which case you can claim up to say £95 in loss of earnings and time spent on the case, postage and paperwork costs etc
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Dec 17, 5:59 PM
    • 52,896 Posts
    • 66,423 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    To sum it up I just need to worry if I get correspondence from the court or LBCCA, right?
    Yes.

Also worst case scenario, if it went to court and I lost, how much do you think I'd end up paying? I mean how much are court costs and solicitors?
    No solicitors' costs apply, as long as you don't act unreasonably, which defending a case is not. We only see about 1% of posters here lose (honestly) but if they lose there's NO effect on credit rating, and they pay between £150 and £200 all told.

I would not worry, these letters are to be expected. Come back of you need help with a defence.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 16,356 Posts
    • 25,452 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I am aware of the 38 court hearings out of the 16002 tickets issued. I'm wondering if even half of those were paid.
    I think you need to take a bit of a wider-view picture of their court cases. A 3 year period is better than looking year-on-year, because I would suggest that not many of the 2017 issued tickets would manifest themselves into court cases - too early in the cycle.

So the figure you should be looking at is the 3-year figure of ~ 42,000 tickets issued, 42 court cases, which makes the prospects of a court case easy to calculate = 0.1%. To refine the calculation, it’s generally thought that around 60% of tickets are paid, leaving, in this case, 16,800 unpaid. So that makes it 0.25%.

Take the statistics for what they are, come back if you get a LBC or a real court claim. There’s nothing you can do now to alter whatever turn this may take.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Ange47
    • By Ange47 12th Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ange47
    Well guys, love you all for the quick replies. I had to deal with a small claim, being the claimant myself in the last years, due to a housing issues. Still I didn't know that costs, in the worst case scenario would be less than, say £400.

As I think this ticket is really unfair towards me, considering that they want £100 and the chances of this going bad, as explained kindly by Umkomaas are slim, I decided not to pay and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help again.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 52,896 Posts
    • 66,423 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Costs could only be about £50, plus £50 court fees, if you lost, hence why a £100 Parking charge merely risks paying up to £200 if a case is lost at a hearing, which we hardly ever see on this forum.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Ange47
    • By Ange47 7th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ange47
    Hi guys, thanks in advance for your future responses.

I receive a letter from Debt Recovery Plus, which I was pretty much waiting for, thanks to your warning. This doesn't say anywhere LETTER BEFORE ACTION so no code red yet.

"Debt collector letters - note to the regulars"

The above thread, has convinced me to reply to DRP, which I will do ASAP via email.

Given that now they want £160 (ridiculous amount) it's a no brainer for me, they're not getting any money, especially as small claim court costs, as confirmed above, are capped.

Anyway...

Given the circumstances for which I got the ticket - parking on the KEEP CLEAR sign, due to my private parking spot being taken constantly by others (which I have been photographing) - should things get bad and this case reach the court, do you think the judge will be like "you parked where it says keep clear, and there's pictures, so you're guilty" or will there be any more than that? Because I don't have issues admitting the reality, but my point is that all that Park Direct UK does is issue tickets, without enforcing the rules in their signs (which say NO UNAUTHORISED VEHICLES ALLOWED), which results in my flat assigned spot being occupied 1 out of 2 times.

Would I be deemed guilty straight away? As laws-wise this may be seen like a straightforward case.

PS: Park Direct UK doesn't seem to run a parking permit scheme on site, as my landlady confirms.

Thanks and happy new year!
    Angelo
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 34,145 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Quentin
    I receive a letter from Debt Recovery Plus, which I was pretty much waiting for, thanks to your warning. This doesn't say anywhere LETTER BEFORE ACTION so no code red yet.

"Debt collector letters - note to the regulars"

The above thread, has convinced me to reply to DRP, which I will do ASAP via email.....
    Originally posted by Ange47
    Which thread???

The advice here is not to bother posting about DRP letters, and to ignore them!

See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

as well as #6 above
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 16,356 Posts
    • 25,452 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    DRP can’t issue a LBA - period. Don’t get suckered into thinking they can!

The above thread, has convinced me to reply to DRP, which I will do ASAP via email.
    What on earth do you propose writing to DRP about?

should things get bad and this case reach the court, do you think the judge will be like "you parked where it says keep clear, and there's pictures, so you're guilty"
    Guilty - wtf does that mean? No idea what the judge will think - this isn’t a fortune telling forum.

Would I be deemed guilty straight away? As laws-wise this may be seen like a straightforward case.
    ‘Guilty’ - yet again? Sorry, but you’re all over the place with this. What ‘law’ are you quoting?

• Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 7th Jan 18, 11:21 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    "The above thread, has convinced me to reply to DRP, which I will do ASAP via email."

no you should not ! ...........

unless you want to go against all the forum advice / regulars ...

please please ... re read the newbie thread about debt crawlers ... erm I mean debt collectors ...

Ralph
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 5,157 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    KeithP
    That thread you mention is dated November 2013.

Things have changed a little since then.

For up to date information on how to deal with debt collector's letters you should be reading post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,482Posts Today

8,933Users online

Martin's Twitter