Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magic Moments
    • By Magic Moments 22nd Nov 17, 5:17 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Magic Moments
    Trojan Malware. How to check and get rid of it free.
    • 22nd Nov 17, 5:17 PM
    Trojan Malware. How to check and get rid of it free. 22nd Nov 17 at 5:17 PM
    How to check/confirm if I have got Trojan Malware , and how to get rid of safely and free. I am told my Virus protection package does not include finding/clearing Trojan Malware. thank you
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 22nd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 22nd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 5:33 PM
    Malwarebytes
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 22nd Nov 17, 9:59 PM
    • 26,207 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 22nd Nov 17, 9:59 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 9:59 PM
    what av do you have? what OS do you have?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ukmarkdell
    • By ukmarkdell 22nd Nov 17, 11:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmarkdell
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:49 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:49 PM
    Hi,
    OK, so yes Malwarebytes is, as unforeseen suggested, is amongst the best of the malware scanners but prior to that if you want a quick removal of the more nastier stuff use another Malwarebytes product called AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes purchased this fast basic cleaner from the French Programmer who wrote it, who used to give it out as Freeware. I do household/company IT support for a living so I have to get systems cleaned up fast and these two always do a good job.
    Hope this helps
    Mark
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    I am told my Virus protection package does not include finding/clearing Trojan Malware. thank you
    Originally posted by Magic Moments

Seriously ?
    Your AV doesnt detect trojans ..

Please please tell us which one it is
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • ukmarkdell
    • By ukmarkdell 24th Nov 17, 1:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmarkdell
    • 24th Nov 17, 1:28 AM
    You'd be surprised
    • 24th Nov 17, 1:28 AM
    Yes amazing isn't it?
    There are lots of AV's out there that don't do enough of what I call crossover.
    The real nasty stuff any AV can deal with but most miss PUP's Browser Hijackers etc.
    I had an experience once on my own PC years ago, somehow it got infected and although no AV was giving a warning I knew as a tecchie there was something wrong, so after scanning with Norton, Kaspersky, Avira AVAST and Sophos only one AV got it and that was after I installed, unbelievable the very early Windows Defender, (it may have been called something else then) it found it and it was a nasty one,, it was Conficker.B
    You can't have everything, after all where would you put it?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 24th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 24th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 9:25 AM
    ^^ Yes, i would be very surprised to be told that an antivirus package doesnt detect trojans

That is like having a metal detector that doesnt detect metal !!
    A torjan is a virus.

No AV is any good at crossover - you need malwarebytes too
    Last edited by AndyPix; 24-11-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    • J B
    • By J B 24th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    J B
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    Mrs B's laptop - Acer running W10 - on Google Chrome has a trojan (?) which diverts the page to 44-800-086-9374 you have a problem, call this number

Sadly, neither MSE. Bit Defender or Malawarebytes seem to be able to stop it!
    Last edited by J B; 24-11-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 24th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    ADW will move it

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you have any doubts about your PC run through the list here:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/

That little lot will catch anything.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 24th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    dj1471
    Mrs B's laptop - Acer running W10 - on Google Chrome has a trojan (?) which diverts the page to 44-800-086-9374 you have a problem, call this number

Sadly, neither MSE. Bit Defender or Malawarebytes seem to be able to stop it!
    Originally posted by J B
    Check for rogue Chrome extensions. And don't forget to call the number and taunt them.
    • ukmarkdell
    • By ukmarkdell 25th Nov 17, 5:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmarkdell
    Trojans aren't virus'
    Virus are called that as they have the ability to self-replicate and spread.

Trojans normally are MalWare that cannot self -replicate but allow a way into your system for other nasties.

It's the self-replication that gives name to a piece of malicious sw being a Virus

AFAIK the is no single AV/Anti-Malware package that will do it all, many claim to but in my experience don't.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 26th Nov 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Install Firefox, then ditch Google Chrome. Sounds like Chrome has been “got at” by a browser helper object (BHO) type of trojan.

The likelihood is the “helper” came via a dodgy install package, running Malwarebytes, etc. afterwards is too late, it needs the paid for version to be running at the time of “installation” to be effective.

Make sure your Windows is bang up to date too, Win 10 Creators Edition is quite strong on security (but not against an already installed trojan).
    • SurreyRoger
    • By SurreyRoger 26th Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SurreyRoger
    i am paying for F Secure anti virus protection and have found that apparently it does not cover Malware which I find quite extraordinary. I have run Malwarebytes as suggested and it discovered 3 Malware items which it has put into a quarantine Box. As the Malwarebytes trial run for only 14 days and I am not going to pay another premium when I do not go ahead and take up the premium service and close Malwarebytes what will happen to the items put into quarantine.I thought when setting it up it was free but then I suppose you never get anything for nothing.
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 26th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    hans 2
    Just delete the files in quarantine.
    • Shankly81
    • By Shankly81 26th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Shankly81
    My McAfee AV protection for my laptop that I got free a few years back is now due for renewal. Recent years it was 29.99 now gone up to 59.99. Obviously I'm not renewing at that price. Question is - what do I replace it with? I don't use the laptop much (usually on iPad or phone) but don't really want to be open to any possible viruses. Any ideas?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 27th Nov 17, 9:42 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    gone up to 59.99.
    Originally posted by Shankly81

They should hand their heads in shame ..

If only people would stop paying it
    • ukmarkdell
    • By ukmarkdell 29th Nov 17, 3:03 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ukmarkdell
    ReplacementS for McAfee AV
    Look in WH Smith they sometimes have good multipack offers on for like Kaspersky or Norton both are good KIS is less resource hungry
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 29th Nov 17, 9:42 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ Noooooooooooooo

This is a money saving website - you dont need to pay for AV !!

And never ever install anything Norton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

2,073Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin