Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gsmj
    • By Gsmj 22nd Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gsmj
    Self employed help.
    • 22nd Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    Self employed help. 22nd Nov 17 at 4:28 PM
    Hi all
    I'm looking for a bit of advice.
    I became self employed last year and have been working for one client on his land for about 12 months. At that time I didn't have any other work, this one client gave me enough work. When I registered self employed I put my business name as just my name and said I was a handyman as that covered most things I was doingi have just done my first self assessment for last year. Anyway it was all the same up until August of this year when unfortunately the work stopped. I then went around trying to gain new clients but concentrated on Garden Maintenance instead. I'm happy to say I found work and have built up some regular clients. Anyway to gain this work I had some leaflets made up and posted them around but on the leaflets I called myself my name and added Garden maintence. I'm wondering whether this will matter when I come to do this years self assessment, as previously mentioned I only called my business name my name and said I was a handyman. My main focus now is on Garden work, grass cutting etc. It's the time of year now when Garden work has also slowed right up, I'm lucky enough to still be young and not have many outgoings. My income at this time of year is very small. Someone suggested I could claim JSA whilst my work is quiet, is this true with being self employed?
    Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated!
    Also separate to my work/ business income Iam selling unwanted items that I have and no longer need. This has nothing to do with work, but do I still need to account for this money?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 22nd Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 22nd Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    1: Call yourself Tina if you want. As long as your income and outgoings are accounted for.
    2: you can claim JSA if you are actually seeking work.
    3: Selling personal belongings isn't subject to tax typically.
    • Gsmj
    • By Gsmj 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gsmj
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    Great thankyou.

Another question,
    A few months ago I did my online self assessment, I saved it until I was ready to pay in Dec/Jan. I for some reason have two givernment gateway user id's. I think I must of lost the details for the first (which I didn't set up) and activated a new one with a new code, which is the one I've done my self assessment on. Same national insurance number etc. Does this matter?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin