Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blueste
    • By blueste 22nd Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 3Thanks
    blueste
    Refused by First Direct, any ideas why?
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    Refused by First Direct, any ideas why? 22nd Nov 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hi all

I applied to a First Direct with the intention of taking advantage of the switching deal. My application for an account was refused.

I know that it's impossible to really know why we are refused financial products and services but im not aware of someone with an excellent credit rating (which I have) being refused a bank account before.

Any ideas welcome.....
Page 2
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 28th Nov 17, 9:03 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    First Direct are owned by HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company) which are always voted worst bank worldwide.

They use old technology, and their marginally better first direct sub brand only accept posh people.

Btw hsbc and fd will have gone bust within the next 30 years
    Originally posted by gettinnerdy
    My goodness that means i'm posh...well dawg gone hobbit i"s never new i was a posh un god golly.

I've had a poor credit file for several years and only fairly recently its started to get better,done the whole switching banks for incentives and around same time applied and was accepted for several credit cards...much to my surprise.

First direct bank account and Credit card approved instantly....very surprised to hear that they are choosey when approving applications.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 28th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    My goodness that means i'm posh...well dawg gone hobbit i"s never new i was a posh un god golly.

I've had a poor credit file for several years and only fairly recently its started to get better,done the whole switching banks for incentives and around same time applied and was accepted for several credit cards...much to my surprise.

First direct bank account and Credit card approved instantly....very surprised to hear that they are choosey when approving applications.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    I shall have my butler call FD to report that you've slipped through the net.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 28th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    northwalesd
    I've had a poor credit file for several years
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Maybe they think they can make money out of you.
    • demonloop
    • By demonloop 1st Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    demonloop
    First Direct are owned by HSBC (Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company) which are always voted worst bank worldwide.

They use old technology, and their marginally better first direct sub brand only accept posh people.

Btw hsbc and fd will have gone bust within the next 30 years
    Originally posted by gettinnerdy
    Iím far from posh, so not sure how I got in, but Iím pretty sure FD rate very highly in customer satisfaction polls.

Also, care to remind me how much HSBC had to be bailed out with during the banking crisis? £0 wasnít it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin