Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bloodnok
    • By bloodnok 22nd Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 297Posts
    • 32Thanks
    bloodnok
    Bought new stairlift...found out it was reconditioned !
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    Bought new stairlift...found out it was reconditioned ! 22nd Nov 17 at 11:25 AM
    I'll try to keep it short.......Mother in law bought a stairlift from Acorn nearly a year ago which was sold to her as brand new.
    They offered her a reconditioned one at the time but she decided to play safe and spend the extra money on a new one.
    It will be a year at the end of this month that it was installed so they have asked if she would like to purchase an extended warranty to cover call outs, parts and labour etc.
    She decided for peace of mind she would go ahead and purchase the warranty only to find that Acorn admitted that the stairlift was a reconditioned one.
    The 4 year warranty costs £1495 !!
    Can anyone out there tell me what we can do as it was described as brand new, so she obviously overpaid initially.
    Please help as we're not very savvy about this kind of thing.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 22nd Nov 17, 11:45 AM
    • 15,624 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:45 AM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:45 AM
    Check out what acorn are selling used ones for?
    I think they charge a lot even for those
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 22nd Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    1) Get them to send you a credit for the difference in cost

2) Contact l a local independent re maintenance and call out charges.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 28,349 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    As far as I am aware, most stairlifts are actually rented for the time they are required, and removed later. Is this not the same?
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 22nd Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    • 13,558 Posts
    • 23,061 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    As far as I am aware, most stairlifts are actually rented for the time they are required, and removed later. Is this not the same?
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    They can be bought outright.

They can also be provided by local authorities which is a rental but realistically once installed the company has little interest in them. My Dad was given a Stannah many years ago, after he died the council team who fitted it (private property but it was done via the council) agreed it could stay for my Mum. When Mum died earlier this year they didn't want it back, Stannah didn't want it back and lift companies actually wanted to charge us for it's removal. We gave it to the scrap man in the end.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• bloodnok
    • By bloodnok 22nd Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    bloodnok
    • 22nd Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    The stairlift was bought outright for £4000 last November.
    As I said, it was sold as brand new, but turned out to be a reconditioned one.
    Just wanted to know if I could claim anything back for my Mother-in-law, as, as far as I can see, she was taken advantage of and I think she was conned as the invoice clearly states "Brand New"
    If I bought a new car and found out later that it was second hand with a recon engine.......I think I'd have some kind of case against the seller surely .
    Thanks for all your help !
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 9,614 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    It might be worth getting a third party to contact Acorn and make an enquiry about getting a stairlift installed.
    See if they could get a written quote for both a new one and also a reconditioned unit.

If the difference in price is say, 25%, use this as a figure when your MIL contacts Acorn about a partial refund.

How was the installation paid for?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 22nd Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,946 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    Why not contact the company nd point out the invoice for a new lift but in fact it is a reconditioned one see what they say.

It may have been a genuine mistake
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 22nd Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,844 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 22nd Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 8:40 PM

If the difference in price is say, 25%, use this as a figure when your MIL contacts Acorn about a partial refund.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    But surely that's not the figure the buyer didn't want a recon one.

The figure is probably nearer 50% or give me money back and take your chairlift away and make good.

How much of a fight are you up for op?
    Show me the man and Iíll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 22nd Nov 17, 10:41 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Sarastro
    We purchased a reconditioned stairlift and I seem to remember there wasn't that much difference in the price between that and a new one - maybe 15% or so.

I'd give them a chance to rectify it by writing to them - it could be a genuine mistake.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 23rd Nov 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,844 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu

I'd give them a chance to rectify it by writing to them - it could be a genuine mistake.
    Originally posted by Sarastro
    If it is the company will be mortified and will go above and beyond and offer a reasonable goodwill gesture.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    Show me the man and Iíll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 29th Nov 17, 10:04 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    A secondhand stairlift has very little value, and if it is over three years old, none at all, I discovered, according to Dolphin Mobility. I applied to them for a reconditioned straight which they advertise at £900. They referred me to their local agents who say they cannot do it at that price. I wonder if it is a scam? Anyone had this trouble?
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 29th Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    To the writer who gave a stairlift to the scrap man: did you not think of advertising on Ebay? Someone might of been glad of it at a reasonable price.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 30th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 13,558 Posts
    • 23,061 Thanks
    pulliptears
    To the writer who gave a stairlift to the scrap man: did you not think of advertising on Ebay? Someone might of been glad of it at a reasonable price.
    Originally posted by Raywill
    Yes, and unfortunately for the most part they don't sell, at least not in these parts.
    I'd advertised it at £50 to get rid of it on eBay, Shpock, Gumtree and local selling sites with no interest whatsoever.
    After that I offered it free. As is typical of selling sites I was messed about for a few days with people not turning up.

The house had sold by then and we were getting close to exchange, buyers insisted they wanted the lift removed and so it went to the scrap man.
    Sometimes it's better to just get rid than mess around for a week with idiots for the sake of a few quid.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin