Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st Nov 17, 11:38 PM
    • 42,263Posts
    • 49,091Thanks
    G_M
    Wireless heating controls - recommendation
    • 21st Nov 17, 11:38 PM
    Wireless heating controls - recommendation 21st Nov 17 at 11:38 PM
    Elderly relative (90s) cannot reach his central heating controls as they in back of a cupboard. We are considering various options to help him, one being to install a wireless system so he can easily alter things from eg the kitchen.

Ideally enable him to

* alter the timing of on/off for heating
    * alter the timing of on/off for hot water (less impotant as rarely changed)
    * over-ride the timer (eg turn on heating when timer says it should be off)
    * change between 'timed' and 'constant' and 'off'.

Thermostat is not an issue as he has a room stat in the dining room.

I have a wireless digistat myself at home which does all the above (plus acts as room stat), but it's much too complicated to operate for him.

He'd need one that looked more like a traditional set of controls, easy to read and operate, rather than a more complicated digital thing.

Does anyone have or know of something suitable?
Page 1
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 21st Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    • 17,461 Posts
    • 109,266 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 21st Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    I understand that Hive can be used via the Echo smart hub. I haven't any experience of this, but before my dad died he was bedridden, and found having a home hub helped him retain a degree of independence, so could be worth looking at. He used it for all sorts, playing music, listening to the news, etc, so as a system it could be quite liberating in a more rounded way.

Alternatively, would the old school alternative of an electrician moving the thermostat somewhere more accessible work?
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 42,263 Posts
    • 49,091 Thanks
    G_M
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    Thanks. Good idea, but.... no mobile phone (well, he's got one but no idea how to use it), no tablet. He manages (just) email on a desktop.

The the oldschool alternative is one of the other options we're considering.

I just wondered if there was a wireless system that is more user-friendly and intuitive than mine is.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 22nd Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    I would move the old one. Elderly hate change, in my experience and, if knows how to use it....

Otherwise, get tablet phone controlled one, and control it for him. He'll love you for it...... But that might be useful when he later gets forgetful.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 22nd Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 30,763 Posts
    • 18,377 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    I don't know of any wireless controllers I think they all went to programmable stats so you can do temp/time rather than fixed temp on/off

Fairly sure there are some with the overide/boost buttons it will be the temp/time setting interface that may be the issue.
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 22nd Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:50 PM
    We have this one but without the right hand square one next to it.....
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/worcester-bosch-mt10rf-mechanical-rf-thermostat/96405
    It does everything you asked in your post, and you don't have to have it fixed to the wall if you don't want. It's very simple to use, batteries last about 6 months. I'm sure the same type are available cheaper without the other part.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 22nd Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 22nd Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    >but it's much too complicated to operate for him.<

I fitted a Digistat +3RF in my parents flat, programmed it and told them never to touch it again. My elderly father contended himself with always checking the room 'was up to temp' on an LCD thermometer by his chair. Bless.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 22nd Nov 17, 11:50 PM
    • 13,250 Posts
    • 17,464 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:50 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 11:50 PM
    I don't know of any wireless controllers I think they all went to programmable stats so you can do temp/time rather than fixed temp on/off.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    A Hive, and presumably others, can be set with a fixed temperature and manual or programmed on/off for both heating and water.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 23rd Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    • 7,743 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    cattie
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    • 23rd Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    I have a Salus & it's so easy to operate, even for me! In my previous property I had a Digistat & in the 5yrs I lived there I never managed to work out how to properly use it, I would have to phone the Digistat engineer to give me step by step instructions over the phone. The Salus is a dream by comparison & my sister decided to go for the same one seeing as it's so easy to operate.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 24th Nov 17, 2:19 PM
    • 42,263 Posts
    • 49,091 Thanks
    G_M
    We have this one but without the right hand square one next to it.....
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/worcester-bosch-mt10rf-mechanical-rf-thermostat/96405
    It does everything you asked in your post, and you don't have to have it fixed to the wall if you don't want. It's very simple to use, batteries last about 6 months. I'm sure the same type are available cheaper without the other part.
    Originally posted by C.C.L.
    Thanks but
    Compatible with Greenstar gas combi boilers only.
    Won't work with a conventional boiler, only combi.

Instead get a simple wireless thermostat like Salus - http://amzn.to/2jM47TZ .
    Had a look at the user manual. It's too complicated, not intuitive enough. If I wanted to change a setting I'd have to get the user manual out.

Looks increasingly like moving the existing controls is the way to go.

Ah!
    or the Honeywell model - http://amzn.to/2B2bREx if you want to go premium
    Looks better. Nice simple single push 'override' button marked for 'heating', and another for 'hot water', and a simple single push 'extra hour' button marked for 'heating', and another for 'hot water',
    Last edited by G_M; 24-11-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 42,263 Posts
    • 49,091 Thanks
    G_M
    Thwarted! The Honeywell does not seem to be wireless.

Think it's time to visit a plumbers merchant.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 2nd Dec 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    The Honeywell CMT927 is wireless. Programmable 7 day, 6 settings per day, good wireless range. They did have a manufacturing fault in the display... Hope they remedied it!

They work well, and are quite easy to use. The display is clear... when it works, on the old ones!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,326Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter