Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keithmc1989
    • By keithmc1989 21st Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    keithmc1989
    Unfair default
    • 21st Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    Unfair default 21st Nov 17 at 9:21 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. There's a default from natwest on my credit report that I think is unfair. I had a package bank account with them a few years ago that I was mis-sold and didn't know I was paying monthly for. I opened a new account with a different bank, so stopped using the Natwest account. I then received a letter threataning legal action as I was £700 in debt with them due to bank charges that had accumulated due to the monthly charge which went to default.

I then made a complaint to them and received all of this money back. I then assumed that this would be removed by them from my credit file. When it wasn't removed, I made a query to experian and when they contacted Natwest, they said the information was coŕrect and weren't willing to remove it.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do about this as it is affecting my chances of getting a mortgage.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 21st Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 21st Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    It’s the same answer as always, I’m afraid. At the time Natwest were reporting to the CRA’s you were indeed, missing payments. The fact that you say you were mis-sold the package, and didn’t realise you were paying for them, is irrelevant. You should have checked your statement and raised your concerns at the time, then you would have received a refund and had the package cancelled.
    In other words, you credit report is a true reflection of the status of your account at that time.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • demi60
    • By demi60 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    demi60
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    Hi Keithmc1989,

I would take your query to the Financial Ombudsman as any bank who has mis-sold you a packaged bank account hasn't treated you fairly as a customer.

I had a similar thing with Lloyds TSB now Lloyds Bank and the Financial Ombudsman found in my favour. There were 2 defaults on my credit file and I had financial compensation and they wrote to me saying that they would remove the defaults from my credit file in 60 days and would backdate to remove the defaults.

Hope this helps
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 22nd Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    It’s the same answer as always, I’m afraid. At the time Natwest were reporting to the CRA’s you were indeed, missing payments. The fact that you say you were mis-sold the package, and didn’t realise you were paying for them, is irrelevant. You should have checked your statement and raised your concerns at the time, then you would have received a refund and had the package cancelled.
    In other words, you credit report is a true reflection of the status of your account at that time.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Completely ignore this. Poor advice.

You need to speak to natwest. Tell them about the situation it shouldnt be overly hard for you to convince them to remove the default. It will be much easier for them saying they cant and they wont so dont stop at that hurdle. Raise a formal complaint.

You should not have a default for a debt that shouldnt have existed.

If you get nowhere go to Financial ombudsman explaining your case. Again it should be pretty straightforward for them to see it should have been removed.
    Last edited by spadoosh; 22-11-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    Don't be angry!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 22nd Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    Completely ignore this. Poor advice.

You need to speak to natwest. Tell them about the situation it shouldnt be overly hard for you to convince them to remove the default. It will be much easier for them saying they cant and they wont so dont stop at that hurdle. Raise a formal complaint.

You should not have a default for a debt that shouldnt have existed.

If you get nowhere go to Financial ombudsman explaining your case. Again it should be pretty straightforward for them to see it should have been removed.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    I disagree, letís hope the OP comes back with the outcome.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 22nd Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    I disagree, let’s hope the OP comes back with the outcome.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Worth replying.

All you did was repeat a mantra. One which is generally correct however exclusions do apply. Things like fraud, a debt that was never yours (the op suggests its an example of this!), incorrect procedure followed and a few others.

If what the op says is true, that the debt was solely down to bank charges of which are related to a mis sold account. Then the debt should never have existed. Hence why they shouldve been restored to their position before any of the charges where added (op suggests they where financially). That includes not having a default.

I get that the situation isnt black and white. You seem to suggest it is. I think theres a good chance the OP isnt coming back after reading your advice and is stuck with a default for 6 years of which they might been able to get it overturned.

You didnt even suggest it can be removed or the reasons how, it was just a blanket statement that isnt applicable to every scenario. So yes we disagree, it was shocking advice.
    Don't be angry!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 22nd Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 22nd Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    Donít be angry, I called it as I saw it.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 4,688 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    Not quite the OP but seems to be similar circumstances (in fact in this case i would go as far to say they had less of an argument than the person you told to grin and bear having a default for 6 years) and they did come back. Without their default.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5750757

Its always good when you can vindicate your stance isnt it?
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

3,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin