Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enocar
    • By enocar 21st Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 71Thanks
    enocar
    Failed test purchase
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    Failed test purchase 21st Nov 17 at 8:21 PM
    I don't know if this is the correct place, so please mods move if I'm wrong!

I have been off work for 2 weeks holidays and came back to be informed while about to get on my checkout, that i shouldn't sign on as i had failed a test purchase on lottery, the day before i had gone on holiday :/ I was told that an internal investigation had to be conducted and to see my line manger. I was given small tasks to do, to keep busyish, and then put on a checkout which does not serve restricted goods, where i remained the rest of my shift. I have arrived home stressed and worried about my future with my employees, as to if i have one My husband while trying to help is just stressing me more, with demands that i gain CCTV of the incident, and ask for the time it happened. And how by going into a different part of the store i have put myself in the position of customs and practice, even thou i explained that they could move me for the needs of the business at anytime, regardless of what was happening! So stressed atm, i don't know what is going to happen and when i am with a union and in passing i mentioned i had failed a test purchase to the store union rep and he just went oh dear and walked off.....sigh....i just wish i knew what the procedure was so i could prepare myself for what's going to happen
    i don't take being stressed very well, and have already had a week off work previously for stress
Page 2
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 24th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 4,941 Posts
    • 3,950 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Yes. Assure your boss that you will never make this mistake again, because you will always ask for ID from everyone buying age restricted goods. That will give you both peace of mind.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby

Easier said than done, ever dealt with an angry 50 year old buying wine for sunday dinner and you refuse to serve her without ID...
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 24th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    Whats it like being perfect?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Never been perfect but what 16 year old or younger looks over 25?
    • aife
    • By aife 24th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    aife
    Originally posted by eschaton
    think you're being a bit sanctimonious.
    Surely we all had that friend at school that had no trouble getting served at the pub from when they were 13.
    On the other hand I was still occasionally getting carded when I was well into my 30's , mostly it just made me laugh but it could be annoying
    Amd you don't know the OP served a 16 y.o - could have been someone that was 17 & 364 days old , would still have fallen foul of the law
    If you work in a busy shop and have hundreds of customers the occasional one is bound to slip past you , unless you card everyone not on a zimmer. And that might not do much for customer relations
    • HurdyGurdy
    • By HurdyGurdy 26th Nov 17, 12:49 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 3,050 Thanks
    HurdyGurdy
    Originally posted by eschaton
    In our area, the local police force are repeated posting a photograph on their Facebook page of a 14 year old girl who regularly goes missing, with appeals to help find her.

Every time they post the photograph, there are floods of posts all saying "she's never 14", or "she looks 25 at least". (They probably should try and find a better picture of her looking more like her actual age.)

You are very naive if you honestly think that teenage girls (maybe less so with teenage boys who tend not to wear make up) can't make themselves look way way WAY older than their years.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 26th Nov 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    In our area, the local police force are repeated posting a photograph on their Facebook page of a 14 year old girl who regularly goes missing, with appeals to help find her.

Every time they post the photograph, there are floods of posts all saying "she's never 14", or "she looks 25 at least". (They probably should try and find a better picture of her looking more like her actual age.)

You are very naive if you honestly think that teenage girls (maybe less so with teenage boys who tend not to wear make up) can't make themselves look way way WAY older than their years.
    Originally posted by HurdyGurdy

No, not naive. Test purchasers used by the Police are underage and generally look no older than their real age, normally younger.

Test purchasers used internally by major retailers and Camelot are of legal age but normally within months of their last birthday and never look anything like 25 or plastered in make up.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 26th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 11,346 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    My 13 year old niece was repeatedly mistaken for her 25 year old aunt at my wedding, my younger sister is married with a baby for the record. We actually gave the venue a photo of her in case she tried to get wide and buy alcohol.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Wayne O Mac
    • By Wayne O Mac 26th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Wayne O Mac
    Easier said than done, ever dealt with an angry 50 year old buying wine for sunday dinner and you refuse to serve her without ID...
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Those are the best ones, as the entitled rage builds.

"There's no point getting angry at me because you're unable to prove your age, miss"
    • enocar
    • By enocar 28th Nov 17, 9:28 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    enocar
    In answer to your question on how I could get the age so wrong, I was serving a gentleman after the incident once I had done my test, quite tall, asked for lottery, asked for I.D as thought not getting caught out, colleague waiting to be served goes, its daft isn't it, he's clearly over 25.....looked at i.d he had not long turned 17 and at a guess I would have put him at 22/23 so not everyone looks the age they should be!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 29th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 4,111 Thanks
    bouicca21
    When I was in the US on holiday the local supermarket asked for proof of ID from everyone buying alcohol. I was a bit taken aback, since I'm well over 60, but soon got used to it. I assume they had once been done for selling to minors, and this was the only foolproof method to avoid problems in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter