Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Nov 17, 7:26 AM
    • 5,348Posts
    • 11,000Thanks
    iammumtoone
    christmas eve hamper ideas for 10 year old boy
    • 21st Nov 17, 7:26 AM
    christmas eve hamper ideas for 10 year old boy 21st Nov 17 at 7:26 AM
    Looking for suggestion of items to put in a Christmas eve hamper for 10 year old boy.

Budget around £10 (might need to be a bit more this year) but for that I want 3-4 items Happy for the item(s) to be second hand.

Previous years I have gone in poundland/B&M etc and got some cheap toy sets but hes too old for that now, he wont have any interest in them. He is even going to pick his own pjs for the box this year as he didn't like the ones I picked for him last year So I would like to include a couple of things that will be a surprise for him.

Thanks
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 21-11-2017 at 8:05 AM.
Page 1
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 21st Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8,325 Posts
    • 27,942 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 21st Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    A Christmassy book you can read together, a dvd of a Christmas film, some hot chocolate sachets and marshmallows, Christmassy socks for him to wear on Christmas day?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 21st Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    A Christmassy book you can read together, a dvd of a Christmas film, some hot chocolate sachets and marshmallows, Christmassy socks for him to wear on Christmas day?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Thank you the hamper always includes a book anyway, I have got this already.

A DVD is a good idea I can pick up a second hand one cheap.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 21st Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 26,492 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:01 PM
    Maybe silly photo props that you can both use Christmas Eve to take some photos? Can get some in the pound shops.

Argos do a disposable camera - maybe you could get him one of those and ask him to take photos over Christmas

His own Christmassy mug for Christmas Eve hot choc/drink of choice
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    Faith177
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    How about a card game like top trumps or uno or a cheap game you could all play together? Or even just playing cards
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    Maybe silly photo props that you can both use Christmas Eve to take some photos? Can get some in the pound shops.

Argos do a disposable camera - maybe you could get him one of those and ask him to take photos over Christmas
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    Great idea. I was going to give him my old camera anyway for a trip he is going on. I will give it to him early and put in the hamper with some props as you suggest.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 21st Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,844 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    I started doing Xmas hamper when my ds was around 10 or 11 (I'd read about them a year or two before but dismissed the idea).

Because I was starting this at a relatively older age, I'd already built up a stock of 'santa stop here' signs and mince pie plates.

What I did instead, was to think of all the things I wanted the kids to do on Xmas eve and put the item in there.

So for example, get a bath (bubble bath/bath bomb, flannel etc), put your (new) pyjamas on, snuggle down in front of the tv watching a film (dvd, hot chocolate kit).

After the first year of doing the xmas eve hamper, DS wasn't interested, but even now at 17 he complains about some Homer Simpson slippers he missed out on that were planned to go in there (DH said don't pick them up no, we'll get them from the bigger supermarket tomorrow - they were out of stock!)
    • fatblackandwhite
    • By fatblackandwhite 21st Nov 17, 8:37 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    fatblackandwhite
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:37 PM
    Dvds
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:37 PM
    You can pick up DVDS in poundland. Usually have some Christmassy ones in.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 21st Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    I have been doing them for years (I do myself one as well ).

My son looks forward to them nearly as much as he does Christmas morning.

So far I have
    PJs (he will pick these himself)
    Book (got this)
    DVD (will find a Christmasy movie - second hand/poundland)
    Camera (already have - second hand) not included in budget as I was going to give this anyway.
    Photo props
    Christmas chocolate normally a mini santa/snowman

Possible
    hot chocolate/marshmallows in mug (have done this previous years)
    Christmas socks - will look for slipper type socks
    bubble bath
    card game - i like this idea but we have lots already

Son did say this year he wants to buy the stuff for mine I will of course give him the money to do so its a lovely thought but I dread to think what style/design of pjs I will be wearing for next year (good job I am single )
    • d0nna
    • By d0nna 22nd Nov 17, 9:11 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    d0nna
    These are some typical things that I usually put in my child's hamper:

Some kind of Christmas themed board game to play in the evening (last year this was destination Christmas)

Bath bomb from lush or anywhere else I can find one, one year I bought one with a grenade shape, which went down well

DVD, not necessarily a Christmas one, just any that I know will be enjoyed, if I pack a DVD then I put some popcorn in too

Some kind of book. Because my child is getting older now, I usually buy Ripley's believe it or not annual, or something similar

A pack of J20 Glitterberry is also well received and looks very Festive

Some hot chocolate sachets, they are usually on offer so I pick a few favourites. I also buy some squirty chocolate cream to go on top as an extra treat

I have a mug this year to go with the hot chocolate, previous years I've bought xmas tableware, for example a plate which I've then used to put a special xmas breakfast on on xmas morning.

Some kind of Christmas food, this varies from xmas flavoured/themed crisps, marshmallows, chocolate, sweets, candy canes.

Clothing, earlier years I used to put pj's, slippers or socks. Now I usually put a Christmas jumper in it, I've used the same one for 3 years running because it still fits. My child wears it on Christmas day.
    • zanuda
    • By zanuda 29th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    zanuda
    Just got MyDoodles ear headphones from ASDA, like this one:

It's the end of the line sale and it's not on the website and probably gone from some of the shops. They sell it for £2.50 (original price is something like a tenner). Package ~ 15x3 sm, could easily fit to any hamper.
    Last edited by zanuda; 29-11-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: messed up with picture from pinterest, had to find it at the source.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 29th Nov 17, 12:39 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    You're telling me kids get presents on Christmas Eve nowadays and then again on Christmas Day????
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Nov 17, 4:08 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    You're telling me kids get presents on Christmas Eve nowadays and then again on Christmas Day????
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Personally I think hampers are a great idea, people don't put anything of value in them and the money comes out of the Christmas budget so its not as if kids are getting extra, they would have got the item(s) on Christmas morning anyway.

Most people have a new pair of pjs to wear Christmas Eve anyway, a book/dvd to keep them occupied and relaxed in the evening. A book to read together in bed.

All these things parents probably do/give anyway so why not put them in hamper and make a thing out of it. We normally open hampers after we get back from the afternoon church service its become a tradition and one I intend to keep going.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Hamper stuff now bought. Lots of ideas on here thanks plenty to keep me going for next year as well.

Pjs
    Camera - old one was going to give him anyway (I couldn't find any props )
    DVD
    horrible histories Christmas book
    Book to read together before bed
    kinder chocolate Santa
    bubble bath in snowman - poundland
    Christmas biscuits (buy these anyway, this year they are going in hamper to bulk it out)
    minecraft annual - poundland
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 29th Nov 17, 4:18 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Most people have a new pair of pjs to wear Christmas Eve anyway,
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I've certainly never heard of that either
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I've certainly never heard of that either
    Children need new pjs every year as they grow out of the old ones so why not give them on Christmas eve as it something that would have had to be bought anyway.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 19,697 Posts
    • 31,844 Thanks
    Spendless
    This is exactly why I didn't do it for the first few years of reading about it, I thought it pointless. Then I realised that there were things that I was getting in for Xmas eve anyway (such as new PJs, many families do this so the xmas pics of kids opening they aren't in their legs too short, past their best nightwear) and also there were things I wanted them to do also, such as get a bath, wash their hair, sit quietly and give me a bit of peace...

In addition over the years I'd built up that we had a santa stop here sign, a mince pie plate, new stockings and so on. All things that we used on Christmas Eve.

It came to me that it made sense to put all these things that did happen and I wanted to happen into a Xmas eve hamper and introduce it as a present from the elves, everything that Father Christmas wanted them to do in preparation for the following day was in it.

Son who was 10 or 11 when introduced outgrew it after the first year (still doesn't stop him eating/drinking any goodies in it though!) Daughter was 7 or 8 and still doesn't want it to stop..she's now 14!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Any one following this for ideas for older boys hampers.

Poundland have some minecraft blind bags/boxes in.

I got one to add to my sons hamper
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Son who was 10 or 11 when introduced outgrew it after the first year (still doesn't stop him eating/drinking any goodies in it though!) Daughter was 7 or 8 and still doesn't want it to stop..she's now 14!
    Originally posted by Spendless
    My son still loves them think its because I have been doing it ever since he was old enough to understand. I can see me still having to do them for him when hes moved out
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

• Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Newly retired
    I for one have never heard of this custom till I read it on here. Where did it come from? Neither my son or my daughter do hampers for their children
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter