Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cestrian100
    • By Cestrian100 20th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cestrian100
    IVA and 85% Equity Worry
    • 20th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    IVA and 85% Equity Worry 20th Nov 17 at 9:38 PM
    Hi,

I am currently living with my partner and I personally have had a mortgage approved to purchase a house. We are using the equity from the sale of my partners property - however, she is in an IVA and she has real concerns about having her property unlocked for the sale.

She owed £25,000 and has been paying £100 per month for 3 years. The equity in her property is just short of £57,000. She has been informed recently by the IVA people that she still owes £25,000 as all her payments have been their fees and nothing to the creditors. However she is willing to pay back the £25,000 in full from the sale of the house but she is worried about them taking 85% of her equity.

Now I believe that the 85% thing is a maximum percentage they can take, and is not something they are entitled to, I could be wrong, but 85% of £57k is £48,500 and almost double what she owes. Surely that is not right.

Can anyone put our mind at rest here with this situation, has anyone been in a similar situation?

We require £18,000 of that equity to put down as a deposit, and we believe we are being fair by paying back the debt, as we have also read ways of not paying that all back. Should we be punished for being morally correct?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Nov 17, 11:57 PM
    • 12,673 Posts
    • 12,011 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:57 PM
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:57 PM
    I would be very careful here, it may be productive to run this past national Debtline.

May be better to allow the IVA to fail, and then settle later.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Cestrian100
    • By Cestrian100 21st Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cestrian100
    • 21st Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    • 21st Nov 17, 12:04 AM
    Well she has a solicitor speaking to them as she is trying to get them to release the house so we can exchange on the new one.

It seems very unreasonable to expect double of what she originally owed. I went through an IVA myself some years back and I had no such issue - but then I didn't own property at the time. It seems and correct me if I am wrong, that this IVA company are taking advantage of home owners. Paying back a debt is fine, paying a fee to some company to essentially correspond with creditors is stretching fine, but can be accepted, but taking money which does not belong to them is not fine.

I'll advise her in the morning to speak with her solicitor again and hopefully reason can be met.

We've been through an awful lot to get the house we want and it would be devastating if this hurdle is the one that prevents us.

Thanks for replying.
    • Cestrian100
    • By Cestrian100 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cestrian100
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 21st Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    Solicitors never came back to us today.

But I guess we are just looking for confirmation one way or the other.

I find it so hard to believe that if you owe £25k and your equity is £57k they can't take 85% of £57k, they can only take what you owe, bare in mind she has already paid 3 years worth of £100 per month.
    • DorisTrousers
    • By DorisTrousers 29th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    DorisTrousers
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    DO NOT let the IVA fail, creditors can Bankrupt her.

She will be expected to repay the full £25k, plus statutory interest at 8% p.a. (unless excluded at the beginning) plus all I.P. costs incurred so far.

Back of a fag packet calculations put that at £31,500 for the creditors, plus I.P. fees, probably another £3,500 or so.

That is what she signed for, and you are unlikely to get any solicitor that would win any argument to the contrary, but it does look as if you will probably still have enough for your plan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin