Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ejmcarth
    • By ejmcarth 20th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ejmcarth
    Finishing an Iva
    • 20th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    Finishing an Iva 20th Nov 17 at 8:52 PM
    Hi all

I am in an 6 year Iva at present and will finish in January 2019, I'm just wondering what happens then do they write to me and say it's finished or do I have to get in touch with them? Also I now have a new partner and we would like to get a mortgage together after my Iva has finished is it easy to get a mortgage after an Iva?

Thanks. Xx
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Nov 17, 11:52 PM
    • 12,673 Posts
    • 12,014 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:52 PM
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:52 PM
    You don’t need to do anything.

When your IVA completes and your IP has wound up the bank account, and distributed the proceeds, you will be issued with your certificate of completion (not as grand as it sounds, just a single A4 slip of paper).

By that time it should of come off your credit file, so your report will look a lot better.

Just be aware it can take a while to get your certificate, 12-14 months is not unheard of, it depends on a lot of factors.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,041Posts Today

7,529Users online

Martin's Twitter