Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss_Sparkles
    • By Miss_Sparkles 20th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Miss_Sparkles
    Redundancy and pregnancy
    • 20th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    Redundancy and pregnancy 20th Nov 17 at 8:43 PM
    So this may be abit of a long one so apologies if this doesn't make sense.
    Me and about 20 others are being made redundant at the end of March 2018. I am due to have my baby in April. My maternity leave will start mid March. So for 3 weeks i will get my occupational maternity pay. Once my contract ends at the end of March they have said my SMP will be paid to me in one payment.

My question is this..
    Will i be entitled to income support or any other type of benefits? I have looked at benefit calculators ans they have said i would get income support, child tax credits and child benefit. Has anyone been in the situation?

It might be worth me mentioning that i will be a single parent with no help financially from the dad so it will solely be my income.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 24th Nov 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 24th Nov 17, 8:44 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 8:44 AM
    You would be better posting on the benefits board.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 24th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    So this may be abit of a long one so apologies if this doesn't make sense.
    Me and about 20 others are being made redundant at the end of March 2018. I am due to have my baby in April. My maternity leave will start mid March. So for 3 weeks i will get my occupational maternity pay. Once my contract ends at the end of March they have said my SMP will be paid to me in one payment.

My question is this..
    Will i be entitled to income support or any other type of benefits? I have looked at benefit calculators ans they have said i would get income support, child tax credits and child benefit. Has anyone been in the situation?

It might be worth me mentioning that i will be a single parent with no help financially from the dad so it will solely be my income.

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Miss_Sparkles

Why not? I mean there's a few legitimate reasons, but
    • Laura2507
    • By Laura2507 28th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Laura2507
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    I’ve just been through something similar (also a solo mum) and income support was denied because I was paid SMP. I was told paying both income support and SMP is paying me twice. I can only claim income support once the 39 weeks is up.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 29th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    Iíve just been through something similar (also a solo mum) and income support was denied because I was paid SMP. I was told paying both income support and SMP is paying me twice. I can only claim income support once the 39 weeks is up.
    Originally posted by Laura2507
    Whats worth more? Could you not give 8 weeks notice of return (pay back the extra) and then claim income support if it is worth more?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin