Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 20th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,668Posts
    • 365Thanks
    Chomeur
    Internet Connection keeps going down
    • 20th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    Internet Connection keeps going down 20th Nov 17 at 6:34 PM
    I'm sick of the Internet connection on my PC going down. It happens just about every day. Here are some diagnostics:

Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox all lose connection.

Google Drive and Filezilla seem to keep connection, strangely.

Turning my Firewall off doesn't help.

I have good wifi connectivity.

My Ethernet cable flashes green at the end of the combined modem/router and yellow and red at the PC whether I have the problem or not.

I'm using Windows 8.

Restarting the computer fixes the problem (but takes a good ten minutes).

I do have a habit of opening up to a dozen tabs in Chrome together - maybe that's a bad thing to do.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 23rd Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    I ran adw cleaner yesterday.

I restarted just now and didn't have the problem, it only seems to be first thing in the morning. If it happens tomorrow I'll let you know how the ping test goes.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 27th Nov 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Its ok, we will get you sorted.
    The thing we need to do is diagnose the actual problem.

Please run ADW cleaner first, just to rule out any roughe reg keys left by the malware.
    Then reboot

Then, next time this happens, click the start flag, then type CMD and press enter.
    then, in the black box that appears, type

ping 8.8.8.8 (press enter)

and tell me, do you get "reply from 8.8.8.8 :bytes ..." etc four times ?

or do you get

"request timed out" four times

or do you get a mixture of the above ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    It happened again today. I got "Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes = 32 time =25ms..." four times. So the connection looks OK. Chrome and Internet Explorer were both down though.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 27th Nov 17, 10:02 AM
    • 3,019 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    AndyPix
    When you ran ADW, did you "clean" after you had scanned ?

And what is the exact message that is displayed when IE is "down" ??

Its strange how it is intermittant, affecting both browsers but not the actual connection :/

Can you go into internet options, click the connections tab, then click on "lan settings" and tell me if anything is displayed in the proxy settings ?

Also, I dont like how your computer takes 10 minutes to reboot, and took all night to do a malware scan - it feels like more is going on here ..

With this only being a browsing issue, I wonder if your DNS settings are ok ?

open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all (press enter)

Let us know what you have next to "DNS Servers"

Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 27th Nov 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    When you ran ADW, did you "clean" after you had scanned ?
    Maybe not. I just did it again and the report included:

"***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****

Plugin deleted: SwagButton - "

I don't mind this being deleted if it solves the problem.

And what is the exact message that is displayed when IE is "down" ??
    I'm not sure there was a message, it just hung. I'll note it next time. Chrome gives a standard message about something being wrong with a little icon.

Can you go into internet options, click the connections tab, then click on "lan settings" and tell me if anything is displayed in the proxy settings ?
    No. The check box is not checked.

Let us know what you have next to "DNS Servers"

Last edited by Chomeur; 27-11-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    • were
    • By were 27th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    Once you have tried and completed the AndyPix fixes, update the drivers of the nic card from using the latest drivers from the nic manufacturer.

1) Find the latest driver. Google search or card/chip manufacturers site would be my first choice. Pc/laptop manufacturer second choice, and MS the last hope. While I would tell you not to use I driver checker update program, i did use the once free version IObit Booster, and uninstalled after, but it is no longer free.

Many devices use Realtek, so look here https://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/

2) create a restore point, and backup your pc.
    3) copy all the drivers off to a separate directory on a usb key - you may as well copy all of them. Also write down the version of you current driver
    4) install your new drivers, but you may have to uninstall the old one first and make sure the version is newer the the one above that was written down.

Are you sure it is not the network cable or cables??? You have swapped them? A small fracture in the cable can have the exact same symptoms. I can personally vouch for this!
    Last edited by were; 27-11-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 29th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    No browser connection at all this morning. Ping test and email both fine. Tried ipconfig
    commands and replacing the cable to no effect. Ie says This page can't be displayed.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 29th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,019 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Have you done all of the above ?

Next time this happens, try browsing to http://216.58.213.110

(Its just google, nothing sinister, but will point at DNS problems if this works ok)
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 29th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur

I rebooted and connection was OK. This took 15 minutes but that includes loading Chrome with about ten tabs and several applications.

I've done it all except what were suggests. I understand that to find out what my NIC card is I go into SystemInfo/Network/Adaptor. That lists 13 different Adaptors, each with their own Driver. I gave up at that point.

Will it do something if I navigate to your link when I have no browser connectivity?
    Last edited by Chomeur; 29-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    • were
    • By were 29th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    At least now it continually pings

doing the below will loose you wifi passwords.

Delete all the network adaptors and reboot. the existing adapters should be automatically found on booting, and you already have a copy if the drivers from doing the steps above, a restore point, and a backup too, so not much can go wrong?
    Last edited by were; 29-11-2017 at 3:06 PM.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 2nd Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur

(Its just google, nothing sinister, but will point at DNS problems if this works ok)
    Happening again this morning. Chrome says for every page This site can't be reached. Ie just shows a blank page. Your link doesn't get shown either.
    • were
    • By were 2nd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were
    Happening again this morning. Chrome says for every page This site can't be reached. Ie just shows a blank page. Your link doesn't get shown either.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    Er, could be one if two things 1) dns 2) network connectivity. You are running windows 10?

When this happens again ping both these addresses from a cmd screen

ping 192.168.1.1 < the gate way for most routers, but yours may be different

ping 8.8.8.8 < this is a google ip address

If you get something back like below then it is DNS
    Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=56

If you get this on both IP addresses then it is network connectivity
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

You are connected straight to the router via one solid complete unjoined cable, no homeplugs or secondary switch etc.?

you have done this? "Delete all the network adaptors and reboot. the existing adapters should be automatically found on booting, and you already have a copy if the drivers from doing the steps above, a restore point, and a backup too, so not much can go wrong"?
    Last edited by were; 02-12-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 2nd Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    capital0ne
    Try a different machine

Try ditching windows - try Linux or MAC
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 4th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Er, could be one if two things 1) dns 2) network connectivity. You are running windows 10?

When this happens again ping both these addresses from a cmd screen

ping 192.168.1.1 < the gate way for most routers, but yours may be different

ping 8.8.8.8 < this is a google ip address

If you get something back like below then it is DNS
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=56
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=56

If you get this on both IP addresses then it is network connectivity
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

You are connected straight to the router via one solid complete unjoined cable, no homeplugs or secondary switch etc.?

you have done this? "Delete all the network adaptors and reboot. the existing adapters should be automatically found on booting, and you already have a copy if the drivers from doing the steps above, a restore point, and a backup too, so not much can go wrong"?
    Originally posted by were
    I'm still running Windows 8. When I upgraded from Windows xp to Windows 8 it too the best part of a day, making all the backups and dealing with continuous error messages from Microsoft. I'm loathe to repeat the process.

I get good replies on pinging 8.8.8.8 as I have mentioned.

I don't understand this:

"2) create a restore point, and backup your pc.
    3) copy all the drivers off to a separate directory on a usb key - you may as well copy all of them. Also write down the version of you current driver
    4) install your new drivers, but you may have to uninstall the old one first and make sure the version is newer the the one above that was written down."

At what point do I delete the old drivers? If I have to delete them and get new ones, where do I get them all from? Or should I delete them and then my PC finds them automatically?
    • eamon
    • By eamon 5th Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    eamon
    I had a similar issue a few weeks back with my VM hub. My solution was to change my machine to only receive at the the slower network speed i.e. 2.4GHz and not 5GHz. For info my router isn't in the same room and the fabric of my house was the issue.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    Robisere
    I don't think anyone has asked this:
    What are you using as a device, desktop, laptop, whatever?
    What are the spec's? - in terms of processor, drive(s), motherboard?
    In other words, is it a fairly new device, able to do everything you want with it?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• were
    • By were 6th Dec 17, 12:28 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    were

I don't understand this:

"2) create a restore point, and backup your pc.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    https://www.technorms.com/11302/system-restore-windows-8

I would copy the folder to usb, but think this also works https://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

this is a Lenovo page, but it is the same for all o/s https://support.lenovo.com/ch/en/solutions/ht074186

4) install your new drivers, but you may have to uninstall the old one first and make sure the version is newer the the one above that was written down."
    I probably should have said to delete all your old network adapters instead saying delete the drivers, then reboot, see how it goes. here is how to delete adapters, but do it to all the Network adapters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgdbrrcibs

When booting it should just finds the drivers it needs. Hopefully not 13 of them again. you should have one for the nic card, and one for the wifi card and that is it. If you have a vpn then you will have a third one.

Still not working? put on the new drivers. Also even of it is working, new drivers are the way to go http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5 &Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

The weird thing is the length of time it take for your network to become active 15 mins?

At what point do I delete the old drivers? If I have to delete them and get new ones, where do I get them all from? Or should I delete them and then my PC finds them automatically?
    think I answers this above?
    Last edited by were; 06-12-2017 at 7:35 AM.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 8th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Chomeur
    I don't think anyone has asked this:
    What are you using as a device, desktop, laptop, whatever?
    What are the spec's? - in terms of processor, drive(s), motherboard?
    In other words, is it a fairly new device, able to do everything you want with it?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Seems it's actually Windows 7. It's a PC, about five years old. MOre details below.

I've actually stopped Chrome from opening multiple pages on startup (I had about eight) and this seems to be helping a lot. The problems were mostly occurring at or a few minutes after startup. Maybe the pages were getting entangled as they were downloaded.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name RBULPH-PC
    System Manufacturer Shuttle Inc
    System Model SG41
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6600 @ 3.06GHz, 3059 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080015, 01/02/2010
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name rbulph-PC\rbulph
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.97 GB
    Available Physical Memory 627 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 5.93 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.69 GB
    Page File Space 2.97 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 9th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlerock
    Not wishing to be negative but OH had similar problem and after testing everything and rebuilding pc, reinstalling software, it was pinned down to a faulty motherboard. pc was only 2 years old but 2 weeks out of warranty and bought online. Supplier no longer selling pcs. Eventually bit bullet and bought new pc, no problems since ( fingers crossed)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin