Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 19th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    • 278Posts
    • 345Thanks
    longleggedhair
    Blue Badges becoming useless?
    • 19th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    Blue Badges becoming useless? 19th Nov 17 at 8:47 PM
    A relative I take out has had a badge for many years, however I am increasingly finding it pointless as wherever we go all of the bay's are full, is seems more pronounced over the last couple of years.

The badge is still handy for parking on double yellows & for the free parking, however the main need is to get the person close to the building we are visiting, this is becoming increasingly difficult. I wonder if others are finding the same?
Page 3
    • custardy
    • By custardy 26th Nov 17, 7:58 PM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    I do have a BB, but if all the accessible spaces are taken, I would come back a different day.

But what generally happens in my local is that non-BB holders park in the BB bays and the BB holders then use the parent bays and as it is private land nothing gets done regarding the issue.

You mention it to the store, but just get the we can't do anything about it stance, which then makes you wonder why bother with signage stating BB holders only. As all park wherever they like anyway.
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    What do you feel they can do?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 26th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You mention it to the store, but just get the we can't do anything about it stance, which then makes you wonder why bother with signage stating BB holders only. As all park wherever they like anyway.
    The store can do nothing because no laws have been broken.

The disabled bays only exist because the government say that they should have them, however, as with on street disabled bays, then unless there is a TRO in force (which would not be possible on private land (Scotland might be different)) the bays are open for anyone to park in.

Added to which, a BB on private land has no legal force, a point made clear in the guide that comes with the BB.

With BBs people tend to get mixed up between what they want & and believe that they actually have and what the law actually grants them. It is not as wide ranging as people believe
    Last edited by unforeseen; 26-11-2017 at 8:14 PM.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 26th Nov 17, 10:46 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    tomtom256
    The store can do nothing because no laws have been broken.

The disabled bays only exist because the government say that they should have them, however, as with on street disabled bays, then unless there is a TRO in force (which would not be possible on private land (Scotland might be different)) the bays are open for anyone to park in.

Added to which, a BB on private land has no legal force, a point made clear in the guide that comes with the BB.

With BBs people tend to get mixed up between what they want & and believe that they actually have and what the law actually grants them. It is not as wide ranging as people believe
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    No pooh sherlock.

Hence the comment why bother having signage!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Nov 17, 5:24 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    No pooh sherlock.

Hence the comment why bother having signage!
    Calm down pumpkin.
    It was you who said "You mention it to the store, but just get the we can't do anything about it stance"

so you just like a whine and a mump.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 27th Nov 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Because the blue badge gives you ADDITIONAL parking privileges. You have more choices.

I assume that if all the disabled and P&C spaces are full you would just go home? Or are you the type to block a vehicle in a disabled spot because you can not see the blue badge and think that they have no 'right' even though you have no information or right to make that judgement?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    NO, i wouldn't block another vehicle in because there were no disabled parking spaces. Post #4 of which i was refering to suggested on good days to leave the disabled bay for someone else, which was the reason for my reply. If there's no disabled bay available then of course i would use another parking space.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 27-11-2017 at 7:24 AM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 27th Nov 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I think you completely missed the point of the post.
    Originally posted by custardy
    No i didn't, i understood exactly what post #4 suggested, thanks.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Nov 17, 8:24 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,502 Thanks
    custardy
    No i didn't, i understood exactly what post #4 suggested, thanks.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    and yet your reply suggests otherwise......
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 27th Nov 17, 8:04 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    It isn't always as simple as 'come back another time' some BB holders have to plan in advance for trips out. I am a blue holder. But I don't drive. My PA take me out for appointments and occasionally shopping. If the BB spaces are full its tricky.

It would be nice if the 'loading bay spaces' or drop offs where used for that and not just 'nipping in for x.y.z' but again the shops don't seem able to enforce this. I get very anxious stopping in road to unload wheelchair, move me out the way and wait for PA to come back and by the end of a visit I'm not usually well enough to be left alone whilst the car is retrieved.

I'm sure like many of us I have had accidents trying to get into the car in a normal space. I thought I could walk from boot to door and ended up on floor in car park in cold.. so we now get the car out and try and find a none busy area to load if its a normal size space.

I don't know what the answer is but we do find it tricky to get a BB space at supermarket and carparks in town.
    • freezspirit
    • By freezspirit 27th Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    freezspirit
    I find hospital parking the worst. Ques for the limited disabled spaces. I have to allow at least 40 mins onto the journey time just for parking.

Also if your hospital uses Parking Eye and have registered your badge on the system but then you renew your badge make sure to re-register your new blue badge or expect a fine.
    Saving in 2017 aiming for £4000
    No: 091 Feb Target £350.00/ £333.00
    Total Target £700.00/ £4000
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 27th Nov 17, 10:53 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    tomtom256
    I find hospital parking the worst. Ques for the limited disabled spaces. I have to allow at least 40 mins onto the journey time just for parking.

Also if your hospital uses Parking Eye and have registered your badge on the system but then you renew your badge make sure to re-register your new blue badge or expect a fine.
    Originally posted by freezspirit
    You mean you get free parking at the hospital.
    • winnac01
    • By winnac01 29th Nov 17, 9:02 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    winnac01
    It got so frustrating trying to park in a blue badge space, that we just gave up and shop online now it's not worth the bother, and if we did have to go we go early mid-week when its quiet. As there are no legal restrictions to where people park on private car parks it's not worth getting wound up over. To be honest, shopping online is much easier especially if your wheelchair bound.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter