Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TH71
    • By TH71 19th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TH71
    My Car Broke Down and Police Recovery Took It To Compound
    • 19th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    My Car Broke Down and Police Recovery Took It To Compound 19th Nov 17 at 4:49 PM
    Furious with this

The car broke down (clutch went) on Thursday evening on a busy 'A' road not far from our house or our local garage

The car was not causing any problems to traffic as it was pushed into the side to allow the traffic to flow

So as I have breakdown recovery with my insurance, I was about to ring them but then a police officer turned up, who just happened to be on the same road as me. She allowed me to call my Breakdown Recovery on her phone. After I came off the phone to them, the officer then asked how long my recovery would be, so I said up to 1 hour. The officer says that it was not good enough so I had to us the polices own recovery service as it would be here within 30 minutes, I said I would rather use my own, but the officer said no I could not as they wanted my car off the road as quick as possible, and I had no need to worry as even though I may be given a recovery fee (£150), I could claim back the fee through my Insurance and their breakdown recovery would take my car to my local garage or my home

Here is were things go belly up. When the recovery service turned up (1 HOUR LATER), who are Richford Motoring Services Ltd in Alfreton, Derbyshire, the guy said he cannot take the car to our home address or our local garage, and that it has to go straight to Richford at Alfreton

WHAT He would have driven past our local garage and close to our house on the way so why could he not have dropped it off at any of these???

Not only that, they charge a £20 per day fee for storage as well as the £150 'release fee' as it is called, and it cannot be claimed back through my insurance

So my car quite simply broke down or as mentioned the clutch went. No abandoning of the car, accident or driven illegally, just broke down

After getting nowhere over the phone yesterday morning at 9am with Richford Motoring Services. Our own breakdown company was told they were not allowed to turn up to pick it up so we rang Richford and said we would go down yesterday to try to get our car back. We got there at 10.30am and nobody was there to help us, apart from another 'department' who said they could not help us. So as it stands our car today is still in compound since Thursday evening
    • £150 Release Fee
    • £20 a day Storage Fee
    • Cannot claim any fees back through my Insurance
    • They drove past my local garage and home with my car on their recovery truck
    • Took it to a compound 15 miles away
    • The Police Officer said it would be dropped off at our garage or home address
    • The Police Recovery was 1 hour, the same wait as ours would have been

And all this because my car simply broke down. It feels like I am been treated like a criminal

I have never heard of anything like this. What is this law? Why am I getting penalised for my car simply breaking down. Why is my car locked up in a compound when I have done nothing wrong

Can I fight for these apparent fees? I would understand if I had not my own recovery service, but even if I did not, why can't they drop it off at my home or local garage

Furious
    Last edited by TH71; 19-11-2017 at 4:59 PM.
Page 5
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Dec 17, 11:39 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    Car 54
    Can't see how this is all legal TBH. I mean what if there are no parking restrictions then surely (providing it is parked safely with it's parking lights on) it could be considered as simply 'parked'? So why would the police insist on it being recovered under their arrangements?
    Originally posted by Tilt
    There is no general right to park, except in designated spaces and subject to any applicable regulations. As discussed above, the police obviously considered it to be causing an obstruction.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 6th Dec 17, 11:55 PM
    • 3,479 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Tilt
    There is no general right to park, except in designated spaces and subject to any applicable regulations. As discussed above, the police obviously considered it to be causing an obstruction.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    But do the police (or agents acting on their instructions) have a right to financially manipulate the OP by (effectively) 'kidnapping' the car and holding it to ransom? The OP appeared to of already put the wheels of recovery in motion so surely is entitled to mitigate his costs?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 7:55 AM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,993 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Can't see how this is all legal TBH. I mean what if there are no parking restrictions then surely (providing it is parked safely with it's parking lights on) it could be considered as simply 'parked'? So why would the police insist on it being recovered under their arrangements?
    Look at that streetview link of where the OP was.
    Tell me there's no parking restrictions there.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    But do the police (or agents acting on their instructions) have a right to financially manipulate the OP by (effectively) 'kidnapping' the car and holding it to ransom? The OP appeared to of already put the wheels of recovery in motion so surely is entitled to mitigate his costs?
    Yes they do.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,993 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Their priority is to remove the obstruction and keep traffic moving.
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 7th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3,479 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Tilt
    Their priority is to remove the obstruction and keep traffic moving.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Obviously.

But as the OP had made his own recovery arrangements, surely the police could of cut him some slack and at least of sanctioned for the car to be taken to either his home address or to his garage?

It would appear that the police officer even told the OP that 'their' recovery would do this so clearly miss-informing the OP.

Personally I think the OP has grounds for complaint (assuming his account is accurate).
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Obviously.

But as the OP had made his own recovery arrangements, surely the police could of cut him some slack and at least of sanctioned for the car to be taken to either his home address or to his garage?

It would appear that the police officer even told the OP that 'their' recovery would do this so clearly miss-informing the OP.

Personally I think the OP has grounds for complaint (assuming his account is accurate).
    Had he £150 to pay the driver he probably would have had it taken to a place of his choice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin