Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TH71
    • By TH71 19th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TH71
    My Car Broke Down and Police Recovery Took It To Compound
    • 19th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    My Car Broke Down and Police Recovery Took It To Compound 19th Nov 17 at 4:49 PM
    Furious with this

The car broke down (clutch went) on Thursday evening on a busy 'A' road not far from our house or our local garage

The car was not causing any problems to traffic as it was pushed into the side to allow the traffic to flow

So as I have breakdown recovery with my insurance, I was about to ring them but then a police officer turned up, who just happened to be on the same road as me. She allowed me to call my Breakdown Recovery on her phone. After I came off the phone to them, the officer then asked how long my recovery would be, so I said up to 1 hour. The officer says that it was not good enough so I had to us the polices own recovery service as it would be here within 30 minutes, I said I would rather use my own, but the officer said no I could not as they wanted my car off the road as quick as possible, and I had no need to worry as even though I may be given a recovery fee (£150), I could claim back the fee through my Insurance and their breakdown recovery would take my car to my local garage or my home

Here is were things go belly up. When the recovery service turned up (1 HOUR LATER), who are Richford Motoring Services Ltd in Alfreton, Derbyshire, the guy said he cannot take the car to our home address or our local garage, and that it has to go straight to Richford at Alfreton

WHAT He would have driven past our local garage and close to our house on the way so why could he not have dropped it off at any of these???

Not only that, they charge a £20 per day fee for storage as well as the £150 'release fee' as it is called, and it cannot be claimed back through my insurance

So my car quite simply broke down or as mentioned the clutch went. No abandoning of the car, accident or driven illegally, just broke down

After getting nowhere over the phone yesterday morning at 9am with Richford Motoring Services. Our own breakdown company was told they were not allowed to turn up to pick it up so we rang Richford and said we would go down yesterday to try to get our car back. We got there at 10.30am and nobody was there to help us, apart from another 'department' who said they could not help us. So as it stands our car today is still in compound since Thursday evening
    • £150 Release Fee
    • £20 a day Storage Fee
    • Cannot claim any fees back through my Insurance
    • They drove past my local garage and home with my car on their recovery truck
    • Took it to a compound 15 miles away
    • The Police Officer said it would be dropped off at our garage or home address
    • The Police Recovery was 1 hour, the same wait as ours would have been

And all this because my car simply broke down. It feels like I am been treated like a criminal

I have never heard of anything like this. What is this law? Why am I getting penalised for my car simply breaking down. Why is my car locked up in a compound when I have done nothing wrong

Can I fight for these apparent fees? I would understand if I had not my own recovery service, but even if I did not, why can't they drop it off at my home or local garage

Furious
    Last edited by TH71; 19-11-2017 at 4:59 PM.
Page 4
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 20th Nov 17, 10:19 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    paddycharlie
    The only thing the officer did wrong was inform you that the fee was recoverable through your insurance. But either way you are liable for it. She wasn't to know it would have taken longer than half an hour for the recovery to show and who's to say your own recovery wouldn't have taken more than an hour to arrive.

Even if your car was fully off the road and in the carriageway it is still a hazard ad if she was to leave you there and an accident occurred she would have been at fault.

All it would take is a driver take their eye off the road to look at your car or move over lane to get away from your car for an accident to occur. And even though traffic was heavy at the time she couldn't take the risk.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 20th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 13,190 Posts
    • 8,357 Thanks
    arcon5
    The officers sound like complete jobworths
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 20th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 13,190 Posts
    • 8,357 Thanks
    arcon5
    And add a smashed window to the bill, and an arrest for willful obstruction? Not a great idea, ok to try it on for a few minutes but you have to know when to back down.

Also what would be the legal situation in if both recovery firms turn up yours and the police.... yours is free the police would have to pay for the call out of theirs if yours was allowed to take it. So my guess is the police would order your tow truck to move on and stop obstructing a police matter.
    Originally posted by Wig
    What rights would the police have to move the truck along? A breakdown isn't a police matter it's not a crime.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 20th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,236 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    Johno100
    Originally posted by arcon5
    With a Christmas party to pay for.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 20th Nov 17, 11:25 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    What rights would the police have to move the truck along? A breakdown isn't a police matter it's not a crime.
    A breakdown isn't a police matter but a broken down vehicle causing a hazard or obstruction is.
    It's down to the opinion of the officers at the scene. If one of them considers that the vehicle is causing an obstruction, then they have the legal right to arrange for it to be moved.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 20th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 13,190 Posts
    • 8,357 Thanks
    arcon5
    A breakdown isn't a police matter but a broken down vehicle causing a hazard or obstruction is.
    It's down to the opinion of the officers at the scene. If one of them considers that the vehicle is causing an obstruction, then they have the legal right to arrange for it to be moved.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Which it doesn't sound like it was and recovery was already being organised. One hour is a reasonably time scale, especially bearing in mind even the police couldn't get it shifted any quicker.
    But that doesn't answer what right they'd have to move on ops recovery truck considering the very purpose of the truck is to clear the obstruction and/or hazard
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 20th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Which it doesn't sound like it was and recovery was already being organised. One hour is a reasonably time scale, especially bearing in mind even the police couldn't get it shifted any quicker.
    But that doesn't answer what right they'd have to move on ops recovery truck considering the very purpose of the truck is to clear the obstruction and/or hazard
    An hour is not considered a reasonable amount to time to wait for recovery. As already stated itís 30 minutes.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 20th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    phillw
    An hour is not considered a reasonable amount to time to wait for recovery. As already stated it’s 30 minutes.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Which is not achievable by any recovery company, including the one that the police use.

This relates to motorways, but according to the highway agency

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/23181/breakdown-cover-fine-motorway

"Where a vehicle has been cleared to the hard shoulder or emergency refuge area and is not causing obstruction or danger to other road users, the vehicle owner will be given the opportunity to arrange their own recovery."
    Last edited by phillw; 20-11-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    • TH71
    • By TH71 20th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TH71
    Which is not achievable by any recovery company, including the one that the police use.

This relates to motorways, but according to the highway agency

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/23181/breakdown-cover-fine-motorway

"Where a vehicle has been cleared to the hard shoulder or emergency refuge area and is not causing obstruction or danger to other road users, the vehicle owner will be given the opportunity to arrange their own recovery."
    Originally posted by phillw
    We saw that page on lovemoney on friday

Anyway just got in from sorting the car out down at Richford Motor Services in Alfreton and we are £190 lighter at present. £150 plus the 2 x £20 daily fees. What a job. They completely emptied our car of all our belongings and put them in a clear bag. It was like evidence from a crime scene...unbelievable

Now the good bit. Once I reluctantly handed the cash over and also said to those at Richford the car should not be there anyway, and they just blamed the police. We then sorted out getting our car picked up by our own Breakdown service to take the car back to our local garage

Guess which breakdown recovery service our Insurance set up on bringing the car back to our local garage..................yep RICHFORD MOTOR SERVICES

Why the bloody hell did they not do that in the first place. Was this the breakdown service that was recovering us in the first place?

For a car that simply broke down, not abandoned or driven illegally and also not blocking the carriageway, and us not allowed to use our 'own' breakdown to start with due to this half hour rule is bull

I hope the police officer has a report of how this panned out on Thursday evening as we have not finished with this yet
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 20th Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    jimmy cricket

Anyway just got in from sorting the car out down at Richford Motor Services in Alfreton and we are £190 lighter at present. £150 plus the 2 x £20 daily fees. What a job. They completely emptied our car of all our belongings and put them in a clear bag. It was like evidence from a crime scene...unbelievable

Now the good bit. Once I reluctantly handed the cash over and also said to those at Richford the car should not be there anyway, and they just blamed the police. We then sorted out getting our car picked up by our own Breakdown service to take the car back to our local garage

Guess which breakdown recovery service our Insurance set up on bringing the car back to our local garage..................yep RICHFORD MOTOR SERVICES

Why the bloody hell did they not do that in the first place. Was this the breakdown service that was recovering us in the first place?

For a car that simply broke down, not abandoned or driven illegally and also not blocking the carriageway, and us not allowed to use our 'own' breakdown to start with due to this half hour rule is bull

I hope the police officer has a report of how this panned out on Thursday evening as we have not finished with this yet
    Originally posted by TH71

They would have been £190 quid down
    • TH71
    • By TH71 20th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TH71
    Originally posted by jimmy cricket
    Therefore not as much booze at their Christmas party
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 20th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    A lane blocked on that road by a broken down car would result in tailbacks delaying lots of drivers an hour or more quite quickly at that time of day. I've wasted countless hours in my job because of such delays. On a motorway in rush hour a lane blocked by a broken down vehicle can result in 5 miles of tailbacks in a very short time and that traffic congestion can take several hours to clear. It isn't uncommon on the M6 if a lane gets blocked for a breakdown or accident to result in it being crap in that location for the rest of the day until late evening.

There are a lot of people who have been killed or seriously injured at the sides of DCs and motorways broken down waiting to be recovered and that is on roads where there is somewhere safe to wait. At the point the OP posted, a bit of grass at the side of the DC with no crash barrier or space at all it isn't a safe place to wait until the RAC or whoever decide to turn up as and when they can. Those doing it for the Police have a response time to meet unlike the OPs breakdown recovery.
    • TH71
    • By TH71 20th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TH71
    Those doing it for the Police have a response time to meet unlike the OPs breakdown recovery.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Was not the case though as it was an hour before the polices recovery turned up and not 30 minutes, so they failed to meet the so called must be there in within 30 minutes rule

Our Insurance companies breakdown service which we added on to our policy, is the same one that has returned the car to our garage at an extra cost of £190
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Stoke
    Top coppering that. MSE approved.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 20th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,236 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    Johno100
    Originally posted by jimmy cricket
    Not £190 though, the OP's recovery policy firm would have paid them their call out fee, but which I bet wouldn't be £150.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 21st Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    paddycharlie

For it to be the same recovery company that would have picked you up is rotten luck and just rubs it in.

But your car beside the road was a hazard no matter if its just broken down it is classed as a hazard. It doesn't matter if it was off the carriageway it is still a hazard.

The police officer didn't force the recovery onto you just for extra funding, she originally asked how long it would take and as it was too long decided to reduce the risk to yourself and other motorists by getting a breakdown company who should have been quicker. It isn't her fault they took an hour as they usually have agreements with local recovery companies to provide quicker response times.

The only complaint you can have against the police officer is being misinformed about the insurance covering the recovery fee and you could complain that the recovery vehicle took an hour but that wouldn't be against the officer as she wasn't to know that.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,991 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For it to be the same recovery company that would have picked you up is rotten luck and just rubs it in.
    Originally posted by paddycharlie
    It's actually highly likely - unless the breakdown cover is with the AA or RAC, who simply outsource some of their roadside work (but don't do much insurer tie-in cover), it will almost certainly be outsourced to a local contractor. There's rarely a lot of competition in any given area, and the police will outsource to the same contractor.

The police will almost certainly have a higher service level agreement in place with the contractor, though. If the police put a call in, and a breakdown provider put a call in, then the police will be served first - which is as it should be.

So saying that they turned up in an hour to a police call does not mean they would have turned up in an hour to a breakdown provider call - the OP may simply have jumped a queue of other breakdown provider calls.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 21st Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt

I very much doubt she has, but then she won't need one. You'll get a local resolution at best.
    • the_big_fact_hunt
    • By the_big_fact_hunt 6th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    the_big_fact_hunt
    had a similar problem with a relative, broken down car, not blocking any traffic, plod turns up and cancels her recovery service and instructs their own, yes its richfords again, still looking for a way to get her £300 back, its a scam
    R.I.P. Dave "Simmo" Stimpson.....
    A friend, A Gentleman, and a Damn good pool player.
    You will be missed
    one in prison, not long enough
    • Tilt
    • By Tilt 6th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 3,479 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Tilt
    Can't see how this is all legal TBH. I mean what if there are no parking restrictions then surely (providing it is parked safely with it's parking lights on) it could be considered as simply 'parked'? So why would the police insist on it being recovered under their arrangements?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,741Posts Today

6,897Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin