Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fatblackandwhite
    • By fatblackandwhite 18th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 584Posts
    • 1,961Thanks
    fatblackandwhite
    Nice way of saying no thanks?
    • 18th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    Nice way of saying no thanks? 18th Nov 17 at 7:49 PM
    Every year for the past few years, my brother and his wife (and sometimes their grown up son as well) have bought me either a Jo Malone candle or a reed diffuser at Christmas. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but they are so expensive (for what they are) and I don't actually like the smells. (I am more of a Yankee Candle kind of smell person). Every year I decide I am going to tell them I don't want any more but I always bottle it. Truth is, I would rather a pair of socks/pyjamas from Primark. How can I tell them no more without hurting their feelings? (He is a lot older than me so we didn't grow up together so don't have a really close relationship).
Page 2
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 23rd Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    suejb2
    Just say no
    My brother and sister in law got to the Baylis and Harding stage a few years back. One day November time I simply asked s.i.l if she would be offended if we didn't get each other presents anymore, she agreed. Job done and both felt relieved not to have to get the obligatory present anymore.

Just talk about it.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • zanuda
    • By zanuda 29th Nov 17, 1:13 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    zanuda
    Would it work if you say something like "these reeds &candles lasts forever, I'm still on those ones, I've god couple of years ago"...

And how about dropping accidentally Christmas wish list?!? Or mention it that now "it's such a fashion to have Christmas wish lists on sites like Amazon". (you have to make one for yourself first). And it's not even for to buy those things but to give some ideas on what you like to have.
    • vikki_louise
    • By vikki_louise 29th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 5,869 Thanks
    vikki_louise
    Would Jo Malone let you take it back? Or say to you love them but save them for special occasions and they last so long that it will be some time before your in need of another
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter