Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 03022242 18th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 86Thanks
    Part time architectural practice
    • 18th Nov 17, 2:38 PM
    Part time architectural practice 18th Nov 17 at 2:38 PM
    So i have been looking to set up an architectural practice as a one man band, and would like some advice / comments

i have a full time job (37 hours) - vaguely related however not directly. Some weeks i will spend 10 hours and others i may do none, however lets call it an average of 5-7 hours per week over the year. This will give me an income of somewhere between 7-10k, depending on how much i charge.
    My target market is domestic clients, small scale jobs, and would be willing to drive up to a couple of hours if it was worth it. I already have a desk at home so could easily use this set up.

Given the above my expenses would be:
    Public / Professional indemnity Insurances
    tools/equipment/PPE (much of which i have)
    Laptop/phone (which i already have)
    Software (which i already have)
    gas/elec/wifi/mileage
    Advertising
    Accountancy fees (i have a friend whos willing to do this at cost)

There is also council tax to think of, (most of my work would be via email with no meeting needed here)

Would be grateful for "have you thought about this" type comments. I dont think i am in a position to make this my full time job, however having done some work, i know there is a market there that can be tapped in to.

Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    • 10,203 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:11 PM
    Cannot see where council tax comes into the equation.
    • By 03022242 18th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    i think im getting at rates

although i dont think i will have to as its only a small part of my house that i will be utilising.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 37,944 Posts
    • 34,408 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 4:53 PM
    i think im getting at rates

although i dont think i will have to as its only a small part of my house that i will be utilising.
    Originally posted by 03022242
    As long as there's no dedicated office, it's fine. If you use any room exclusively for business it becomes a problem.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 10,203 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 18th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    Although what Savvy Sue said is basically correct, it is not unknown for the Valuation Office Agency to turn a blind eye to an "office" especially in a house on a modern housing estate.

Do I speak from personal experience? You might well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 19th Nov 17, 1:25 PM
    • 7,357 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    martindow
    • 19th Nov 17, 1:25 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 1:25 PM
    Have you got quotations for professional indemnity? An architect acquaintance of mine contemplated early retirement and working part-time rather as you propose. He abandoned the idea when he discovered the premiums that would be payable.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 10,203 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 19th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    but you are retired so surely your "office" is merely your retirement "(wo)man cave in retirement"
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    1. I was talking about when I was working in the VOA
    2. I am male, my user name refers to a street where I once lived many years ago.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 20th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 7,357 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    martindow
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 20th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    2. I am male, my user name refers to a street where I once lived many years ago.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    You lived there in 1710?!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10,203 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 20th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 20th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    You lived there in 1710?!
    Originally posted by martindow
    You spotted my inadvertent error, should have been 1810!
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 20th Nov 17, 7:53 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    00ec25
    You spotted my inadvertent error, should have been 1810!
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    LOL. I always suspected that working for the VOA was an easy life with no stress leading to a loooooong "holiday" on a big fat civil service pension .

I trust the party in 1975 for the 100th anniversary of your retirement was ?

can we have an invite to the next one in 2025?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Nov 17, 8:20 PM
    • 10,203 Posts
    • 8,292 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    LOL. I always suspected that working for the VOA was an easy life with no stress leading to a loooooong "holiday" on a big fat civil service pension .
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Sadly you are wrong on all four points.

Although my pension is better than those currently on offer and I did take early retirement (3.5 yrs before CS pension would have been payable) as VOA was overstaffed and offered this to older employees.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 21st Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    So i have been looking to set up an architectural practice as a one man band, and would like some advice / comments

i have a full time job (37 hours) - vaguely related however not directly. Some weeks i will spend 10 hours and others i may do none, however lets call it an average of 5-7 hours per week over the year. This will give me an income of somewhere between 7-10k, depending on how much i charge.
    My target market is domestic clients, small scale jobs, and would be willing to drive up to a couple of hours if it was worth it. I already have a desk at home so could easily use this set up.

Given the above my expenses would be:
    Public / Professional indemnity Insurances
    tools/equipment/PPE (much of which i have)
    Laptop/phone (which i already have)
    Software (which i already have)
    gas/elec/wifi/mileage
    Advertising
    Accountancy fees (i have a friend whos willing to do this at cost)

There is also council tax to think of, (most of my work would be via email with no meeting needed here)

Would be grateful for "have you thought about this" type comments. I dont think i am in a position to make this my full time job, however having done some work, i know there is a market there that can be tapped in to.

Originally posted by 03022242
    As another poster has commented, professional indemnity insurance is expensive. It's based on turnover but also on professional experience, so if you don't have much direct experience then it can be pricey. Best to get some quotes for this, it may significantly eat into your earnings. Don't forget that normally you would be looking at maintaining this for 12 years after finishing projects, so is a significant future cost.

What kind of company structure are you looking at? You need to work out if the take home pay from this second job is worth it used you've taken into account all expenses and taxes.

Do you have the required professional qualifications and memberships to call yourself an architect? Or are you an architectural technician or similar? Important to know what you can call yourself. Do you have continuous professional development requirements as part of your memberships? Annual membership costs?

My experience is that construction work comes in waves - some weeks I'm doing 70 hours, others 30. You might find it challenging to do it around a full time job, particularly if you've got phone calls to make during working hours to move projects along - not everything can be done by email. And are you able to make site visits during the day with your full time job?

What about website costs? Can be done at limited cost, but important for advertising.

What about large plan printing? A2/A1? Large format printers are expensive, have you got a local printer who can do these for you?

Business car insurance? Make sure you're covered for these additional visits.

Most importantly, why would someone use you rather than the many other architects/architectural technicians out there?
    • Nigel Stutt
    • By Nigel Stutt 8th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nigel Stutt
    I am also going freelance as an architect/visualiser so good luck.

Sounds like you have thought of most likely expenses. But dont forget NI payments and income tax - put away 25% of everything you get for this. You dont really need an accountant if just a small firm - just get a separate account and do your self assessment. If you are working from home you dont have much in the way of expenses.

Only thing to really think about carefully though is if you are packing in your full time job how you will get clients and how you will last until your firm takes off properly. Really you should have 6mths money behind you to avoid worry.

But the other things that took me ages were website, facebook page, invoice form, job log, contract, etc you need all those ready.
    Last edited by Nigel Stutt; 08-01-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,306Posts Today

9,819Users online

Martin's Twitter