Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 18th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Dox
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    They used to be worth reading, but the advent of that ridiculous review site a year or two back meant everyone started to write overlong and overenthusiastic reviews to ensure they got more free items to review.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 18th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    • 18th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 1:21 PM
    They used to be worth reading, but the advent of that ridiculous review site a year or two back meant everyone started to write overlong and overenthusiastic reviews to ensure they got more free items to review.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Amazon have changed their policy on free items to review.
    I do have a competitor that has flooded their items with reviews. Most of the genuine ones are 3 stars and below it's fairly easy to see the fake ones. Ultimately they'll pay for it as it increases customer expectation and is more likely to end up with lower reviews from new customers.

It would help if reviews were more easily removed by Amazon only profanity seems to get them removed. I recently had a one star review on a product that said something along the lines of "Sorry for the low review but I purchased this item by mistake and it wasn't what I wanted".
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 18th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 3,830 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 18th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    Amazon reviews are pointless whether people are being paid to or not. Most people only leave reviews when they are unhappy. Even then sellers will try and bribe them to remove them.

I left a poor review of an item I brought, the seller sent me an e-mail every day asking me to remove and improving the bribe each day. I complained to Amazon about the harassment (after two weeks of daily e-mails) and they said sellers were allowed to follow up feedback. I left a review of the seller complaining about the harassment, Amazon removed this as they said you can't leave seller feedback when it is fulfilled by Amazon.

Having reviews from a wide range of people who are following guidelines and are subjective are far more useful than someone who hates something because they didn't read it needs a different kind of batteries to what they have. Amazon give out free stuff in return for reviews. They could easily manage third parties to allow this. with a warning added that it was given to a person free in return for a review.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 19th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 19th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 19th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    I did report this item to Amazon - will see what they do
    • RFW
    • By RFW 19th Nov 17, 12:00 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    • 19th Nov 17, 12:00 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 12:00 PM
    Amazon reviews are pointless whether people are being paid to or not. Most people only leave reviews when they are unhappy. Even then sellers will try and bribe them to remove them.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    There are quite a lot of people leaving higher reviews on products. It is the case that negatives are more likely to be left than positives. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it, but some products attract more reviews than others

I left a poor review of an item I brought, the seller sent me an e-mail every day asking me to remove and improving the bribe each day. I complained to Amazon about the harassment (after two weeks of daily e-mails) and they said sellers were allowed to follow up feedback. I left a review of the seller complaining about the harassment, Amazon removed this as they said you can't leave seller feedback when it is fulfilled by Amazon.
    It depends on the wording of the feedback but buyers can leave reviews for customers on Amazon fulfilled items. I know because I've had a couple of negatives that Amazon won't remove. If they do remove the rating they usually leave the comment and strike it through rather than removing it totally.

They could easily manage third parties to allow this. with a warning added that it was given to a person free in return for a review.
    It's mostly not allowed now, apart from media. Amazon tend to give freebies to high rated reviewers.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Nov 17, 3:53 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 19,863 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 19th Nov 17, 3:53 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 3:53 PM
    Does having reviews help your ranking at all?

I am a new seller and only have four reviews from 84 sales, I did wonder whether to message any of the buyers asking them to leave a review but should I just leave well alone?
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • RFW
    • By RFW 19th Nov 17, 5:30 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    • 19th Nov 17, 5:30 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 5:30 PM

I am a new seller and only have four reviews from 84 sales, I did wonder whether to message any of the buyers asking them to leave a review but should I just leave well alone?
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I can't really answer either of those questions with any accuracy and I'd guess others would have different experiences. However from experience good reviews seem to have some effect on rankings. I have had a product that was a really good seller for over 18 months with no reviews at all.

As for asking, some seem to do well at it. I always think it's going to annoy the customers. I know I get fed up of companies asking me for reviews.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,475 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    Bought a few things off Amazon recently and one seller has sent several messages for me to leave a review. Its made me more suspicious (a clone battery for a tool). I know its a clone and expect the Ah rating to be overstated, at the price i expect that and have no issues. But its made me want to test it and the first charge didnt go well. Ran the battery down a bit and charged it up, thought that charged really quickly but after leaving it in the charger its now flashing up as a bad battery.

Just because he pushed to me leaving feedback he may get some that states its a poor product and a return to boot.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 20th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    Fake reviews are certainly big business on Amazon (and elsewhere).

I follow a lot of true crime cases, quite a few times I have seen highly organised efforts on private forums, to manipulate the reviews. Few years ago with one high profile case, some people were paying significant amounts of money, well over £15-20 per hour, to anybody who wrote 5* positive reviews slanted to one side of the story, and 1* reviews (and attacks in comments) to any books that had a contrarian view.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 3rd Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork

I missed this. The answer has to be yes, as I tend to always change the order I display results by ranking. I discount items with 1 review....so if your 4 are 5* then that's still better than 80 3* reviews.

You should run your reviews through the review checker I referred to in post 1
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 3rd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Fakespot would mark down a cure for the common cold for 'too many positives'
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd Dec 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    I missed this. The answer has to be yes, as I tend to always change the order I display results by ranking. I discount items with 1 review....so if your 4 are 5* then that's still better than 80 3* reviews.

You should run your reviews through the review checker I referred to in post 1
    Originally posted by robatwork
    That's on managing your own search. I'd assumed 'ranking' was the chart placement for items. I've seen some items with really poor ratings do very well. I've been looking at TVs over the Black Friday deals and some on there with low ratings are doing quite well. That's mostly to do with people paying £700 for a TV and it not being up to scratch. When reduced to under £400 the ratings matter less.

Certainly a low rating can kill an item. I had a new item that was selling quite well and someone received the item damaged. It was sent by Amazon and they've all been perfect, so just a freak occurrence. The problem is the buyer left a one star review and it's the only one there is, I can barely give them away now.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    Fakespot would mark down a cure for the common cold for 'too many positives'
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    Searched all over and can't find it, is there a link?

I just used to check a competitor, they have 8 similar products and they all have the same amount of reviews (17) with a 5 star average and haven't been selling very long. Knowing what their product is I can't believe they'd get such a high amount of 5s, Fakespot gives them a 90% rating. So either they're surprisingly genuine or good at faking it. On the other hand my highest rated products with 30+ genuine reviews each are getting an 80% Fakespot score.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 3rd Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 19,863 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I did message about 50 people to request feedback and not one of them responded.

Purely coincidentally one that I hadn't got around to messaging left me my first 1 star, apparently despite the listing giving dimensions he thought it was going to be bigger.
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd Dec 17, 7:11 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    apparently despite the listing giving dimensions he thought it was going to be bigger.
    The majority of bad feedback/reviews I've had online have been that. I've had several on one item that some thought would be bigger and some thought would be smaller.

Back when I used to be mean to customers, I sold an item that was a "6 inch long wotchamacallit", the length being part of the title. The feedback said "thought it would have been longer", I replied "Did you expect it to grow in the post?".
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 3rd Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    Back when I used to be mean to customers, I sold an item that was a "6 inch long wotchamacallit", the length being part of the title. The feedback said "thought it would have been longer", I replied "Did you expect it to grow in the post?".
    Originally posted by RFW
    Could have been a courgette.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 3rd Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    nickcc
    Get fed up with Amazon asking for reviews on Christmas presents, how the heck do I know as I've not even opened them.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 3rd Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,239 Posts
    • 1,949 Thanks
    spud17
    The majority of bad feedback/reviews I've had online have been that. I've had several on one item that some thought would be bigger and some thought would be smaller.

Originally posted by RFW
    Back in the summer I was looking for a new 80/20 fridge/freezer. One review of the model I was looking at said the fridge part was too big and the freezer part was too small.
    Move along, nothing to see.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 3rd Dec 17, 9:17 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    RFW
    Could have been a courgette.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    How did you know? It couldn't grow though, I had to slice it in two for it to go as a large letter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,465Users online

Martin's Twitter