Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 17th Nov 17, 11:10 PM
    • 480Posts
    • 2,982Thanks
    lynwestie
    Update to firefox
    • 17th Nov 17, 11:10 PM
    Update to firefox 17th Nov 17 at 11:10 PM
    My Firefox has suddenly updated itself tonight to an all new singing & dancing version. I dislike change because I'm rubbish at understanding anything technical but it's selling itself to be super duper fast & ready for the advents

I did have both Referrer Control & refcontrol as add on's. I much preferred Referrer (green logo), from memory Target domain selected & refcontrol disabled

Question for the techies ? Both are no longer supported by this new updated version so where do I go from here ? Is there a suitable replacement ?
Page 1
    • topaz13
    • By topaz13 18th Nov 17, 10:10 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    topaz13
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:10 AM
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:10 AM
    Mine updated, disabled all of my add ons and lost all of my comping folders too!
    I waved it bye bye and changed to Chrome, which is much faster and still supports all of my add ons, although I am not running the ones you mention, so don't know if they are available on Chrome.
    • ness13
    • By ness13 18th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 6,595 Posts
    • 322,010 Thanks
    ness13
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    I'm so glad it's not just me experiencing this!
    It might be a little faster and I'm willing to work with the (unnecessary) new features, but it's ruined a lot of my Add-Ons, particularly Autofill. Very annoying.
    I'm reluctant to shift to Chrome full-time as I do like Firefox.
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.

An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness.
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 18th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    • 18th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 9:06 PM
    Me too! The speed is good as my mags had been hanging & freezing with the new videos but I don't like change when I haven't got the time to try & understand a totally new layout.

I do have Chrome too & have been swapping between the two this last couple weeks whilst Ive had the freezing problems but I'd really become fond of firefox!
    Last edited by lynwestie; 18-11-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    • Badrick
    • By Badrick 18th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Badrick
    • 18th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    Managed to turn mine back to version 56.0 and prevent it from updating again, as my Roboform saved data wouldn't update to work with Firefox Quantum and most of my security add ons and form fillers were disabled with no alternatives available as yet.
    They'll have to get a lot more compatible addons before I'll be updating.
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 18th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    Might see if I can do the same then Badrick. Was it easy enough to do?
    • Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 18th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    • 15,735 Posts
    • 817,810 Thanks
    Daphne01
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    The one ad on I miss is Lazarus, it hasn't been updated since FF 32 or there abouts
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 18th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    Ok managed to turn it back & set it to ask me before it updates

Spoke too soon! It's gone back to Quantum again! No idea what I did or didn't do properly. Give up tonight I think.
    Last edited by lynwestie; 18-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    • Marmaduke123
    • By Marmaduke123 18th Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    Marmaduke123
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    • 18th Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    I think you need the extended support version of Firefox 56, and then disable automatic updates. Apparently only about 19% of add-ons and extensions will work with Firefox 57.

It's only a temporary fix though, only a matter of months, so you do need to find alternatives.
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 19th Nov 17, 12:14 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    I think so. My old version isn't working well either. Just hanging & freezing. Been like it for a week or two. Tried refreshing it, no difference.

It's either the new version without my referrer Control or the old version & lots of patience.

Back over to Chrome maybe for the time being until there's a solution
    • Painkiller
    • By Painkiller 19th Nov 17, 12:20 AM
    • 4,700 Posts
    • 2,082,468 Thanks
    Painkiller
    What about a firefox-based browser like Comodo IceDragon?

https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php
    • Badrick
    • By Badrick 19th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Badrick
    Might see if I can do the same then Badrick. Was it easy enough to do?
    Originally posted by lynwestie
    Alas, only easy if you took a backup ( I use AOMEI Backupper) plus KLS Mail Backup for emails + ff bookmarks.
    If you're able and want to get back to v56, try disconnecting your internet prior to reverting back, then disable update options in Firefox (it's what I had to do after it updated again straight after 1st rollback ).

What about a firefox-based browser like Comodo IceDragon?
    Originally posted by Painkiller
    Thanks Painkiller, I'm going to look at giving IceDragon a try, as like lynwestie, my Firefox had also been occasionally freezing up for a few months now.
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 19th Nov 17, 12:17 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 3,250 Thanks
    booklover500
    My Mozilla updated all by itself on my netbook just after I had finished doing my comp entries on my work break on Friday. My screen layout, tabs etc were all messed up and I could then no longer access my hotmail account - I was really p***ed off but didn't have time to do anything about it as I had to get back to work.

I haven't used it to comp since but I am dreading when I use it again next week (I use my macbook at home) after reading all your comments.

So frustrating - why do they have to change it and mess it up for everyone and not give us a choice?!
    • starrybee
    • By starrybee 19th Nov 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 17,532 Thanks
    starrybee
    I've turned off automatic updates because in the past I've found roboform isn't compatible with them - is anyone using it successfully with the new version?

• lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 19th Nov 17, 3:03 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    Alas, only easy if you took a backup ( I use AOMEI Backupper) plus KLS Mail Backup for emails + ff bookmarks.
    If you're able and want to get back to v56, try disconnecting your internet prior to reverting back, then disable update options in Firefox (it's what I had to do after it updated again straight after 1st rollback ).
    Oh my days, that sounds way beyond my capabilities Badrick

If anyone manages to find something to replace my referrer control on the new version please shout. If not I will look through & see what peeps are recommending to use on Chrone

Flipping pain in the backside
    • f300
    • By f300 20th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 10,709 Thanks
    f300
    If anyone manages to find something to replace my referrer control on the new version please shout.
    I'm using Smart Referer https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/smart-referer/. It's not quite as customisable but it seems fine for comping.

Ok managed to turn it back & set it to ask me before it updates

Spoke too soon! It's gone back to Quantum again! No idea what I did or didn't do properly. Give up tonight I think.
    It could be dangerous to disable updates as you would no longer get any security patches. If you can't use 57 then you could download the Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release). ESR is staying with version 52 (but with security updates) so old addons will continue to work until July 2018 when it will update to version ESR 59 and stay on that for about a year. However ESR 52 will be significantly slower than 57 (Quantum).

I've turned off automatic updates because in the past I've found roboform isn't compatible with them - is anyone using it successfully with the new version?
    Originally posted by starrybee
    The newest version of Roboform (Roboform 8) is compatible with Firefox 57. If you are on Roboform 7 you should probably check this out before updating it: https://help.roboform.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005752328-Upgrading-from-RoboForm-V7-to-V8. Also, Roboform 8 puts the Roboform toolbar at the bottom of the browser rather than the top, which takes a bit of getting used to!

Here is some info about the Quantum migration and how to set certain things to look like the previous version : https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/wiki/quantum_migration
    Here's a Google Doc listing old addons with WebExtension alternatives : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/

And a couple of articles:
    https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/11/entering-the-quantum-era-how-firefox-got-fast-again-and-where-its-going-to-get-faster/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/333230/why-firefox-had-to-kill-your-favorite-extension/
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 21st Nov 17, 12:09 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    lynwestie
    Thanks F300, that's really useful. I'll have a proper read through tomorrow
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 30th Nov 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 24,410 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    There is me updated and ready to go looking at roboform and where the bar is and its at the bottom of the page LOL DUH lol thank you for this thread its helped.
    DEC Wins: £25 Cash Winneroo, £50 for Rockfish, The goldbergs 3+4 DVD, Dove Gift Set. William Hartnell Years DVD, R4 Integrated Music System, 4 Glass Tumblers, Snow Globe, The Rules of Magic book, Bottle of wine, tech sticker sheet. soup spoons viners, World Airport Playset, Bake-O-Glide Simmering circle, audew 12V Seat Heater.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter