Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lili2008
    • By lili2008 17th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 550Posts
    • 281Thanks
    lili2008
    A few thoughts about this forum
    • 17th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    A few thoughts about this forum 17th Nov 17 at 10:01 PM
    I came here a few months ago in a distraught state, seeking intelligent advice and comfort.

What I got was a 'management is always right'mentality, by a little clique who seem to crouch here, leaping on every thread and taking pleasure in that mindset.

So, a few things. Are there no 'real' board guides here?

Also, in my journey towards having employment law implemented, there are so many grey areas that you won't hear about on this board. There are too many people with too much time on their hands here to tell you off. Ignore them, go elsewhere for advice and if there are any real board guides on this forum, put this post as a sticky at the top.
Page 3
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 21st Nov 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 28,296 Thanks
    bugslet
    Only if you bring your Schnauzer.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I'll do better, I'll bring two - a mini and a giant!

Edit: I think we are a clique of two now!
    • Cazzaswfc
    • By Cazzaswfc 21st Nov 17, 7:47 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Cazzaswfc
    I'm not in the clique

I want to be in the clique

Who's in the clique

I hate everyone in the clique because I'm not in it.

Booooo cliques
    MFW 2017 No 41 £835.79/£1000
    Mortgage at December 2015. £55003.41
    Mortgage at December 2016. £51173.04
    Current MF date November 2034
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 21st Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 28,296 Thanks
    bugslet
    I'm not in the clique

I want to be in the clique

Who's in the clique

I hate everyone in the clique because I'm not in it.

Booooo cliques
    Originally posted by Cazzaswfc

You can be in a clique with me, I'll be cliquey with anyone.....oh hang on, that's not a clique if anyone can join in.

Have you got a schnauzer? That might help.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 21st Nov 17, 9:33 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Is there even a clique?

This area is more friendly than others. I’m sure bugs can back this up being another regular discussion time poster but it’s far more brutal over there!
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 21st Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    I came here a few months ago in a distraught state, seeking intelligent advice and comfort.

What I got was a 'management is always right'mentality, by a little clique who seem to crouch here, leaping on every thread and taking pleasure in that mindset.

Also, in my journey towards having employment law implemented, there are so many grey areas that you won't hear about on this board. There are too many people with too much time on their hands here to tell you off. Ignore them, go elsewhere for advice and if there are any real board guides on this forum, put this post as a sticky at the top.
    Originally posted by lili2008
    Have you ever heard the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"?

I ask because I actually posted on your thread last month and since then I have NOT ONCE thought about you or your predicament. Not even a half thought!

A bit concerning how you've made a SEPERATE THREAD just to have a bit of a rant at some random internet strangers (you don't even name any usernames!) who, frankly, haven't given you a second thought in the past month.

It just sort of suggests that you're not the most amicable of people and could well be contributing to the negativity around the office. Maybe just chill out a bit and just go with the flow?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 21st Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 6,920 Thanks
    sangie595
    You can be in a clique with me, I'll be cliquey with anyone.....oh hang on, that's not a clique if anyone can join in.

Have you got a schnauzer? That might help.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    If the clique will have me, I don't want to be a member
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 21st Nov 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    Twopints
    op is correct. its a clique. the one thing they do is bring up old posts and questions you've asked to use as a stick against you in your current post.

they know its wrong and the posts will get removed if you report it. they will have a go at me - but I've never brought up peoples previous posts. what's the relevance?

they must actively search out peoples previous posts. they must not have anything better to do
    Originally posted by tir21
    Well, anyone who starts a thread with:

would surely expect any sensible poster making a reply to actually go and look at that previous post? I expect you didn't.
    Not even wrong
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 21st Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 6,920 Thanks
    sangie595
    op is correct. its a clique. the one thing they do is bring up old posts and questions you've asked to use as a stick against you in your current post.

they know its wrong and the posts will get removed if you report it. they will have a go at me - but I've never brought up peoples previous posts. what's the relevance?

they must actively search out peoples previous posts. they must not have anything better to do
    Originally posted by tir21
    Posts are removed, without any judgement, solely because someone doesn't like them. It doesn't make them wrong. Previous information is relevant. Past events are always relevant. Most of us have lots of better things to do - but we just keep on helping people anyway. The fact that some people aren't grateful for that says more about them than it does about us.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 21st Nov 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    hyubh
    Past events are always relevant.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Oh aye!

Most of us have lots of better things to do - but we just keep on helping people anyway.
    You heroine you

The fact that some people aren't grateful for that says more about them than it does about us.
    I shall add 'humble' to the attributes I apply to your good self! Along with 'super-thick skinned', 'always thinks the best in people', 'is always cautious of what she doesn't know', 'can take as much as she gives', etc.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 22nd Nov 17, 6:24 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    tealady
    Hyubh. I agree entirely.
    Does that make us a clique orgroupies?
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Nov 17, 6:58 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 28,296 Thanks
    bugslet
    Is there even a clique?

This area is more friendly than others. Iím sure bugs can back this up being another regular discussion time poster but itís far more brutal over there!
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    No there isn't a clique.

As for DT

If the clique will have me, I don't want to be a member
    Originally posted by sangie595
    What you can't even be in a clique of one.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 22nd Nov 17, 7:31 AM
    • 30,848 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Have you ever heard the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"?

I ask because I actually posted on your thread last month and since then I have NOT ONCE thought about you or your predicament. Not even a half thought!

A bit concerning how you've made a SEPERATE THREAD just to have a bit of a rant at some random internet strangers (you don't even name any usernames!) who, frankly, haven't given you a second thought in the past month.

It just sort of suggests that you're not the most amicable of people and could well be contributing to the negativity around the office. Maybe just chill out a bit and just go with the flow?
    Originally posted by stuartJo1989
    Kind of my point early in the thread, the OP came with this snippet in that first post.

Also, in my journey towards having employment law implemented, there are so many grey areas that you won't hear about on this board.
    Would have been far more productive for the OP to have just gone with explaining what they were doing and how it was going.

rather than pick up on what could be the useful part of that post(ignoring the rest) and encouraged the OP to share, what has happened which is fairly regular on here posters just backed up what the OP was moaning about, they went on the defensive we are right you are wrong mode.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 28,296 Thanks
    bugslet
    TBH, get morefor, I CBA being nice to someone whose principle aim was to be unpleasant and judgemental.

I think I manage to be nice, but if a poster can't be, then I don't feel any obligation to rise above the situation.

Besides, previous experience says that engaging with the OP in a positive fashion is not reciprocated.

I know, I should do better......
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 22nd Nov 17, 8:25 AM
    • 30,848 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    TBH, get morefor, I CBA being nice to someone whose principle aim was to be unpleasant and judgemental.

Look how many stooped to the same level

I think I manage to be nice, but if a poster can't be, then I don't feel any obligation to rise above the situation.

Besides, previous experience says that engaging with the OP in a positive fashion is not reciprocated.

I know, I should do better......
    You don't have too, best to do what you would do in real life with relative strangers in these circumstances, ignore avoid.

I suspect unintentionally the OP has proved their point with this thread we have a bunch of people in a circle patting each other on the backs on how right they were/are.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Nov 17, 10:17 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 28,296 Thanks
    bugslet
    We are going to have too disagree partly on that one.

I can say you are nicer than me, or more patient. Or both!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 22nd Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 30,848 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    We are going to have too disagree partly on that one.

I can say you are nicer than me, or more patient. Or both!
    Thanks, but I can go off on one as well sometimes...

I suspect you are a lot nicer than you give yourself credit for(I don't bump into you on the other boards I frequent)

All we need now is one more to make our own little circle.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 22-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 22nd Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    pmduk
    If only the OP had found, and used the ignore function for those who didn't have the "emotional intelligence" to know she was right all along!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    Anthorn

Originally posted by lili2008
    How on earth did I miss this thread for so long. I really must stop going to France so much. LOL.

What you have on most of the forums on MSE are people with no qualifications and no experience giving advice, some of that advice related to quite serious financial matters. Yes there are board guides but they are not themselves experts in their chosen field. Personally I do give my opinion and I also give advice but mainly based on my own personal experience. I think that personal experience especially if it's accompanied by a personal recommendation is very valuable. However it is glaringly obvious from some threads that some of those replying and giving advice have no knowledge of the subject and no experience of it. That's the major problem of this forum and others like it: You get opinion and not expert advice. Personally, I treat it as entertainment and nothing more than that.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 5th Dec 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    How on earth did I miss this thread for so long. I really must stop going to France so much. LOL.

What you have on most of the forums on MSE are people with no qualifications and no experience giving advice, some of that advice related to quite serious financial matters. Yes there are board guides but they are not themselves experts in their chosen field. Personally I do give my opinion and I also give advice but mainly based on my own personal experience. I think that personal experience especially if it's accompanied by a personal recommendation is very valuable. However it is glaringly obvious from some threads that some of those replying and giving advice have no knowledge of the subject and no experience of it. That's the major problem of this forum and others like it: You get opinion and not expert advice. Personally, I treat it as entertainment and nothing more than that.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I need to ask you something and i want you to be totally honest with me, it might be awkward after this but i have to know how you feel, i have kept this in for a long while and it's about time i was straight up and just confront you about it. i hope this doesn't ruin things. i just need you to know and i can't see any other way to get over this, it just doesn't seem fair on me if i don't get an answer, i want you to tell me truthfully no matter what it is. i want an honest opinion... do you know the muffin man?
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 6th Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    I need to ask you something and i want you to be totally honest with me, it might be awkward after this but i have to know how you feel, i have kept this in for a long while and it's about time i was straight up and just confront you about it. i hope this doesn't ruin things. i just need you to know and i can't see any other way to get over this, it just doesn't seem fair on me if i don't get an answer, i want you to tell me truthfully no matter what it is. i want an honest opinion... do you know the muffin man?
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Is that a man who Muffs...or Mutated Muffin that thinks its a man (other genders including Gender neutral available and just as important).

You cant muff a man as a man doesn't have a muff to muff...unless he is now a she and would have a muff but not a real muff so the question is can you muff a muff thats not really a muff.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,465Users online

Martin's Twitter