Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Summerly
    • By Summerly 16th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Summerly
    Debenhams PPI timescales.
    • 16th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    Debenhams PPI timescales. 16th Nov 17 at 10:08 PM
    Hi there everyone.

Looking for a bit of advice, if someone out there can help...?

I called Santander some time ago to see if they could tell me what my Debenhams account number was so I could check if I had been mis-sold PPI. At that point they did say I had a number of accounts with PPI attached and did I want to make a claim. I said I did and that the reason I felt it was mis-sold was because I was in full-time employment and regardless, I wasn't aware that PPI had been added.

They said that they would review my complaint and I would have a response within 8 weeks. At the 4 week point I had a letter saying that the response was taking longer than expected. It has now been over 8 weeks and I have been advised they are still investigating.

I can't find any info on how long claims usually take, or what percentage of claims take longer than 8 weeks. Is there an average claim time if a claim takes over 8 weeks?. I do understand that there is no legal timescale they need to adhere to but I'm not sure if I could be waiting 10 weeks or 10 months.

Someone also suggested that they would have rejected my claim by now if it was no, but I don't think that is correct?

I am keeping an open mind on success, but it would be good to know what timings I should be working to, and when I should seriously start getting pee'd off with it all,.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    Bank PPI complaint departments are currently overwhelmed due to the Plevin Ruling.

The lack of response, therefore, does not indicate that your complaint has been successful anymore than it means it's been rejected.

You'll have to continue waiting..
    • Summerly
    • By Summerly 16th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Summerly
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    Thanks for your response Moneyineptutude.

Am really interested in the original point though about timings and if anyone can help me understand how long the process may take post 8 weeks. Thanks in advance.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:18 PM
    if anyone can help me understand how long the process may take post 8 weeks.
    Originally posted by Summerly
    What you need to "understand" is that it will take as long as it takes. Now eight weeks have passed, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Ombudsman. However, since this will likely delay a response from the bank still further, it's probably not advisable at this stage.

• Summerly
    • By Summerly 16th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Summerly
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    Right - "It takes as long as it takes". Thanks again for your help MoneyIneptitude
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    Right - "It takes as long as it takes".
    Nobody on an internet forum can predict how long your individual complaint will take. However, as long as the Bank continue to keep you updated on progress (or lack of same), at least you know it hasn't been lost and will be dealt with.

• Summerly
    • By Summerly 16th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Summerly
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    Thank you again MoneyIneptitude.

I really wasn't expecting anyone to be able to predict how long my personal claim may take, rather hoping I may get an insight into others' experiences.

I really have no idea if their (Santander's) response may take another month or if this could go on for another year, and was hoping forum feedback could help me make a call on next steps

Again, thank you.
    • Kezzab198
    • By Kezzab198 17th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kezzab198
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    I am the same as you. I am now 11 weeks post initial complaint and no further forward than you. I referred the case to financial Ombudsman Service who stated they couldnít investigate (complaint or time issues) as the policy was pre 2005. I spoke to Santander again and explained this and stated I was unhappy not only at the time taken but also that since the Ombusman can not investigate either that itís unfair as a customer that I can not take the issue further. Santander apologised again and raised an internal complaint, I should add this will not make hurry and complaint descision, but rather to raise the unfair relationship.

Iím maybe being pessimistic about it but Iím Santander are aware that any claim pre 2005 will not be investigated by the ombusman that they use that to their advantage as theyíll be no repercussions for them if they go over the time scale set out by the policy and the FCA. Customers have no where to go.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 14,401 Posts
    • 15,197 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Nov 17, 12:36 PM

Iím maybe being pessimistic about it but Iím Santander are aware that any claim pre 2005 will not be investigated by the ombusman that they use that to their advantage as theyíll be no repercussions for them if they go over the time scale set out by the policy and the FCA. Customers have no where to go.
    Originally posted by Kezzab198
    It would be an extraordinarily odd strategy for Santander to seek to delay their processes.

It won't change the outcome yet it would cost them more.
    • Summerly
    • By Summerly 18th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Summerly
    Thanks for letting me know your timings kezzab198 - If anyone else wants to share their current timescales it would be really interesting to know. (Apologies if this exists somewhere on the forum and I have missed it).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Nov 17, 11:01 AM
    • 18,906 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If anyone else wants to share their current timescales it would be really interesting to know.
    As I told you up the thread, the experience of others in this regard is irrelevant to your particular case.

You'll simply have to continue waiting.
    • EOP
    • By EOP 25th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EOP
    Exactly same situation as yourself!!
    8 weeks were up on Thursday and informed of a delay!!!
    • fifi66058
    • By fifi66058 27th Nov 17, 8:55 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    fifi66058
    My PPI claim from Santander took about 12 weeks, refund finally received September this year. Initially I got 2 letters advising of delays, probably about 4 weeks apart. One they started investigating they sent me a letter asking for further info (I worked less than 10 hrs pw when sold PPI), before I had even sent the evidence I got a phone call from them asking for further details, then within 2 days I received a rejection letter, I rang them and they said 'another letter was sent out yesterday, we are refunding £10k'!. Had to pick me up off the floor!
    • Kezzab198
    • By Kezzab198 27th Nov 17, 12:56 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kezzab198
    It would be an extraordinarily odd strategy for Santander to seek to delay their processes.

It won't change the outcome yet it would cost them more.
    Originally posted by zx81
    The extra interest would be less than the fine imposed by Ombusman for investigating every claim over the 8 week window.
    • Kezzab198
    • By Kezzab198 27th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kezzab198
    My PPI claim from Santander took about 12 weeks, refund finally received September this year. Initially I got 2 letters advising of delays, probably about 4 weeks apart. One they started investigating they sent me a letter asking for further info (I worked less than 10 hrs pw when sold PPI), before I had even sent the evidence I got a phone call from them asking for further details, then within 2 days I received a rejection letter, I rang them and they said 'another letter was sent out yesterday, we are refunding £10k'!. Had to pick me up off the floor!
    Originally posted by fifi66058
    Thatís great Iím now 13 weeks from initial complaint not been asked for any further info so suspect complaint not even looked at yet. Iím in the same boat as you I was still at high school when ppi was added and only working 8 hours a week. Hoping I hear from them soon. Itís just frustrating.
    • EOP
    • By EOP 27th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EOP
    Have you phoned them to enquire about an update??
    • Kezzab198
    • By Kezzab198 29th Nov 17, 9:35 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kezzab198
    Spoke to Santander again yesterday, apparently they are waiting for advice regarding PPI on store cards from insurance company. They can’t tell you how long it’ll be.
    • cj1973
    • By cj1973 29th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cj1973
    I spoke to Santander yesterday (28/11/2017) as I have a claim ongoing regarding a Debenhams pre 2005 account. Santander stated to me on the phone that "We are currently in negotiations with our insurance company and until these negotiations are concluded we cannot make decisions on any of the Debenhams accounts". I asked when they expected negotiations to be concluded and was told they were unsure but hopefully at the end of the negotiations it should mean better outcomes for those making a claim. Now personally I am wondering (call me cynical) if this is a delaying technique so that eventually they do not have to pay out. Has anyone else been told similar?
    • Kezzab198
    • By Kezzab198 29th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kezzab198
    I spoke to Santander yesterday (28/11/2017) as I have a claim ongoing regarding a Debenhams pre 2005 account. Santander stated to me on the phone that "We are currently in negotiations with our insurance company and until these negotiations are concluded we cannot make decisions on any of the Debenhams accounts". I asked when they expected negotiations to be concluded and was told they were unsure but hopefully at the end of the negotiations it should mean better outcomes for those making a claim. Now personally I am wondering (call me cynical) if this is a delaying technique so that eventually they do not have to pay out. Has anyone else been told similar?
    Originally posted by cj1973
    Yeah I was told the same as well regarding other store cards, Topshop, river island and New look. Iím not sure if itís a delaying tactic but after several phone calls over the last couple of weeks thatís the first time Iíve heard this, not sure how itís going to be beneficial to those making a claim.
    • poppet23
    • By poppet23 29th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    poppet23
    I have been told the same, that they have ongoing discussions with Axa about the store card PPI complaints and are waiting on that being resolved. Going to hold out till after Christmas before escalating it further.
    October wins: casserole dish
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

475Posts Today

3,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin