Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 16th Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 198Thanks
    Tradcob
    A plan, a budget & a good life
    • 16th Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    A plan, a budget & a good life 16th Nov 17 at 12:46 PM
    Hello everyone,

My partner and I have just sold our first house we are moving in with parents whilst we find our ‘forever home’…. Which we may just have found! It is more money than we had ideally wanted to spend, but is achievable on our salaries, and with the deposit we have, if we make a few tweaks to our lives.

So, I thought I would start this diary to keep track of our spending, and keep me in the MSE frame of mind!

So, a bit of background, There is just myself and my OH currently, we enjoy the outdoors, walking, cycling etc. but also are very happy at home with a good book/ film. We have 2 cats who love to cause mischief whenever possible. And the plan of starting a family at some point in the near (ish) future.

We have recently got engaged, but are not planning a wedding until we are settled in our new home (I don’t think either of us will want a big fuss anyway- so when I start planning and panicking on here, please remind me of this!)

I know I’m probably starting this mortgage free thinking before we’ve even bought the place, but is it ever too early to start thinking budgets and planning for the future?
Page 3
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 9th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hi LadyGnome, the cats do seem to like the house, they can get up quite some speed whilst chasing each other around. Just waiting for some nicer weather and then i'll have to be brave and let them outside to explore, i must admit to being a little nervous about it as i dont want then getting lost!
    • Cariad71
    • By Cariad71 9th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Cariad71
    Hi Tradcob,
    Just wanted to say I've read all of your diary and I'll be following your journey. Hope you'll be very happy in your new home.
    Starting balance £173,000 (Sept 2012) interest only so if we do nothing We will owe this at the end of the term!!!128513;!!!128513;
    Balance as of Sept 2014 £165,803
    Balance as of Feb 2015 £163,360
    Balance end of July 2015 £159,050
    Balance as of Jan 2017.... £138,033
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 9th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Thankyou Cariad, first mortgage payment is due next week, first step to the very long paying off journey!!! !!!55357;!!!56834;
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 9th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Not quite sure what is going on with all of those numbers in my previous replys, i certainly didnt type them, must be gremlins haha
    • Cariad71
    • By Cariad71 9th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Cariad71
    How much is the mortgage overall? I think the numbers may be emojis?
    Starting balance £173,000 (Sept 2012) interest only so if we do nothing We will owe this at the end of the term!!!128513;!!!128513;
    Balance as of Sept 2014 £165,803
    Balance as of Feb 2015 £163,360
    Balance end of July 2015 £159,050
    Balance as of Jan 2017.... £138,033
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 16th Feb 18, 12:03 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Tradcob
    The first Mortgage payment came out today, I expect the first payments of bills to all start coming out over the next few days, so I'll be updating my spread sheet to make sure everything is all as expected.
    We'll be getting the sofa delivered tomorrow that we ordered before we moved in, so it'll be lovely to have that room sorted. and means no more furniture spending needed!
    Going to go food shopping tonight and stock up on some essentials, but other than that I shouldn't need to spend any money this weekend- yey!!!

We've been having a look at Wedding planning too- I thought we had found somewhere perfect but when we went to check it out they are not renewing their marriage licence- which is annoying! We are not wanting anything too big or fancy- just a relaxed day, ideally with the ceremony and reception at the same location. ah well.... we'll keep looking!
    • List Maker
    • By List Maker 16th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    List Maker
    Hey!
    Sounds like you have a lot figured out already.
    Something that I have seen on MSE Forums, that I am going to start doing next month in anticipation to starting a family within the next 2 years is to put those specific savings into Premium Bonds. The reasoning being that you have to apply to withdraw them (takes around 7 days), so can almost use it as a monthly income for when you are on maternity. Obviously you are not getting any interest on it, and slim chances of a win. But in my head I would rather have them there rather than in a linked savings that is too easily accessed.
    I have done some spreadsheet workings with OH salary, Mat Pay, PB savings at £200 pm and our monthly figure looks more than do-able!
    HOUSE DEPOSIT - £5,132.50/£42,000
    Debt Free since July 2016
    SPC #585
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter