Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 16th Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 184Thanks
    Tradcob
    A plan, a budget & a good life
    • 16th Nov 17, 12:46 PM
    A plan, a budget & a good life 16th Nov 17 at 12:46 PM
    Hello everyone,

My partner and I have just sold our first house we are moving in with parents whilst we find our Ďforever homeíÖ. Which we may just have found! It is more money than we had ideally wanted to spend, but is achievable on our salaries, and with the deposit we have, if we make a few tweaks to our lives.

So, I thought I would start this diary to keep track of our spending, and keep me in the MSE frame of mind!

So, a bit of background, There is just myself and my OH currently, we enjoy the outdoors, walking, cycling etc. but also are very happy at home with a good book/ film. We have 2 cats who love to cause mischief whenever possible. And the plan of starting a family at some point in the near (ish) future.

We have recently got engaged, but are not planning a wedding until we are settled in our new home (I donít think either of us will want a big fuss anyway- so when I start planning and panicking on here, please remind me of this!)

I know Iím probably starting this mortgage free thinking before weíve even bought the place, but is it ever too early to start thinking budgets and planning for the future?
Page 2
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 8th Dec 17, 1:19 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hi VDOT, I get what you are saying with the student loan, and to be honest, I'll be dedicating all spare cash to saving up for wedding/ mat leave for a while anyway! It would just be lovely to know that the only debt OH and I have between us is the mortgage!

It'll be a low cost weekend I think with the only planned spend being lunch out with my best friend tomorrow (we agreed on chippy lunch) :-)
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 20th Dec 17, 7:54 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hi all!!!
    Well, the bank account is looking very healthy at the moment- it wont last-it currently has in there the money out of selling our old house, the remainder of the deposit for the new house and payments in there with nothing going out for bills etc. whilst we are living with parents.
    I can enjoy looking at the number all I want for about the next 2 weeks, but after that it'll be winging its way off to the solicitor and we'll be getting the keys to our new house! oh I cant wait!
    I do keep wondering if we are doing the right thing, we could have gone for a less expensive house, but this is the one that we really loved and wanted to live in and could see a future in- that has to count for something doesn't it?! I almost feel like it will be a new way of life! Previously we would have thought nothing about meals out, holidays, expensive trips just because we felt like it- now we will be watching the pennies, building up savings for some pretty exciting things! I cant wait to be cooking properly in our new kitchen, making things from scratch and hopefully eating healthier as a result!
    I've sorted my saving targets out, and I've got a bit of a plan to get a promotion at work (hopefully by this time next year).... I don't know, things seem to be coming together- I'm sure that means that something will happen to try and mess us up, but I guess we'll deal with whatever when we have to!
    Last day at work before Christmas today, roll on tea time- tomorrow will be a day with my mum- making Christmas Puds and watching Christmas films!

Tradcob
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 20th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Created my monthly budget spreadsheet today, cant wait to start filling it in, why has it taken me so long to create one? Feeling all organised for the new year!!!!
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 21st Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Bought some ingredients today to make Christmas pudding, the first time ive made from scratch, hope it tastes alright! Watched a couple of Christmas films as well. Tomorrow ill just need to pick up a tin of biscuits each for the grandparents, and having my hair cut, then that should be it for spending til after Christmas
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 21st Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 9,041 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    OOOooh I love a spot of Christmas baking, I’ve not ever made a Christmas pudding before- you’ll have to tell me whether it’s easy enough to do
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £391.44/ £3000 13%

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 21st Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Its super easy Kittenkirst...
    4oz of each of the following
    Self raising flour
    Sugar
    Suet
    Cherries
    Sultanas
    Breadcrumbs (brown preferable)
    Dessert spoon of bicarb of soda
    1 egg
    Dark rum (enough to bind the mixture)
    Mix it all up, put in a round pudding shaped prirex dish, cover with baking partchment (fold the centre to allow room to expand), tie with some string... then steam for 2- 2 1/2 hours, just gave to keep topping up the pan with water so you dont run out. Ill be heating mine up on Christmas day by steaming again for 45 mins and serving it up with some white sauce. Cant wait!!! This recipe make the pudding a bit more cakey rather than stodgy which is what i find bought puddings to be, and i prefer rum to anything else.
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 22nd Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hi! Been and had my hair done, picked up a few last minute items like milk and cornflour so i can make white sauce to have with the Christmas pud on Christmas day. But thats it, i dont envisage any more spending before Christmas! Going to head out to my family for our Christmas meal this evening as we are cooking for OH family on the 25th.
    All lovely stuff, and i refuse to stress about anything right now
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 23rd Dec 17, 9:31 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    I've had a NSD
    Had a fab day, went for a walk this morning then been watching films for the rest of the day, had a fish finger butty for tea, which was so simple yet yummy
    Tommorow should be a NSD, just have to deliver mums present and visit the grandparents. Theres plenty of food in the house so shouldnt need to buy anything.
    A friend of mine has spent the last 18 months growing her hair for the little princess trust, who make wigs for children who have lost their hair from medical treatment. Im considering doing this myself, its a great cause, just wonder how long it would take to grow the required length!
    Anyway, going to carch up with some other diaries before bed
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 29th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Well, what a lovely Christmas its been! Lots of family time, movies, tv, food and lots of reading of other mse diaries!
    I've got into the habit of transferring the odd amounts of my online accounts into one account, and i believe from reading other diaries this is called Tilly Tidy... you learn something new everyday! As a result of this, and previous savings have increased from £2000 to £2399! Amazing!!!
    I've got a few more days of freedom before I'm back at work on Tuesday, and hopefully will get a moving in date for our house when everyone is back to normal after the break.... cant wait!!!
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 29th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    Blibble
    Sounds like you've made a fantastic start! Don't forget to save for the wedding as well as OPing the mortgage - me and OH are in the same boat. I keep seeing the amount we're saving for the wedding and thinking how much I want to put it towards the mortgage!
    OnePoll: £109.45 - Populus: £145 - LuckyPhone: £42.40 - FBL: £27.80 - Crowdology: £4.88 - Prolific Academic: £11.03 - Research Opinions: £3.04 - Quidco: £0
    Total extra income: £343.60
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 2nd Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hi Blibble, what type of Wedding are you planning? Do you have a large guest list? I'm hoping to bring the Wedding in at £5k or less (preferably less!!!) as we really want an intimate day with family and a couple of friends- might end up having the reception at home as we are not really party people (so therefore I refuse to spend a fortune on a party!!!)
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 2nd Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Happy New Year!!!

Here is my plan for 2018 (and beyond)

Plan for 2018

• Keep a spending spread sheet- understand what I spend money on and where I can make improvements
    • Save for and plan our Wedding (yey!!!) (Target : £5k)
    • Put as much money as possible towards Maternity savings (to ensure I can have as long off as possible but still able to pay the bills for whenever the time comes!)
    • Ensure that I cook more homemade meals- especially things that I can take into work for lunches….. in fact on that point- NO spending at vending machines at work
    • Have a go at growing some vegetables (when we move into new house)- something I’ve always wanted to do!
    • And of course…. Lose weight, I’ve not stepped on the scales in a while, but I know what my target is- and I think I’m about 1 Ĺ stone away from that! But with the Wedding planning and homemade cooking, it’s bound to help? Isn’t it?!

Longer term plans to include
    • Pay off Student Loan (ideally I’d love to have this paid off before we have kids, but may not happen around £4K to go)
    • Build up a house savings pot in case anything were to happen to either of our jobs (3 month pot)
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 9th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Dear diary,

I stepped on the scales... for the first time in about 3 months.... and as a result of our living situation, the weather, Christmas and (insert other suitable excuses here) I have piled on the weight. so not so good there!!!

But on the positive, we have a moving date, in fact, its in 2 weeks time!!! and seriously, it cant get here quick enough!!! We are so excited!!!!

Work has become a bit of a pain recently, I'm thinking of finding a new job (within the same company) we have some emotionally draining people in my team who like to vent at me, I mean, they never listen to my opinion or suggestions to improve thing, they just want to whinge- I've had enough of it! I don't see why my energy should be sapped by these people so, I'm thinking of finishing the project I am working on (probably takes about 6 months) then find something new.
    • Tradcob
    • By Tradcob 15th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Tradcob
    Hello!

Iíve been quite busy at work this past week, lots to do and lots of people to try and keep on side despite differing opinions!

We are 1 week closer to moving in day (1 week to go!!!), weíve paid up at the cattery so when we pick the darlings up that bit is all sorted (it came in at 3 digits rather than 4Ö. So that was good) it sounds a lot, but they have been there since November, and Iíve not had to worry about them being looked after- so I think part of the cost is piece of mind! Looking forward to having them back though.

Iíve managed to add some more cash to the Savings pot- which stands at £2436 which has increased due to Tilly Tidying bits and bobs every few days- I do like my banks accounts to look tidy!

Iíve also sent a token amount off to the student loan- because it makes me feel good- Iím looking forward to not having that anymore! Iím also looking forward to the account updating with how much I owe- they only do this once a year and I find it annoying.

I made overnight oats for the first time last night, I think this may become a favourite for breakfast on workdays, its simple to make, and means that I wonít go looking for something more substantial than fruit in the dreaded vending machine/ coffee shop! Iíll also be having lunch that I have brought in- Carrot and Parsnip soup- and Iíve brought fruit in for snacksÖ. So it should be a good day for eating healthy and not spending!

Other things- I need to call the storage people and let them know when we are leaving- see if they will do me a 3 week bill rather than the 4 week they sent me at the beginning of the month- and check out bedding that is available from Next to spend some more Christmas vouchers (I magically found another £20 voucher in my purseÖ. No idea where this came from, but I checked and it still has the full £20 on it- so itís like a bonus!

So thatís about it for now, hope everyone has a great day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

9,375Users online

Martin's Twitter