Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 15th Nov 17, 11:14 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 25Thanks
    alankershaw66
    firewood fund
    • 15th Nov 17, 11:14 PM
    firewood fund 15th Nov 17 at 11:14 PM
    one of my daughters works in business partner development (called it sales back when i worked in an office)and from time to time sends me companies she's found that she thinks ill like

She sent me this one the other week and i was wondering if anyone has heard of them

firewood fund you can find it on google

there are 2 things that i believe in paying a bit more for one of them is wine and the other is good quality firewood goes back to my dad who used to work in a timber yard

ive signed up and the idea is t pay monthly until you need wine delivered - we always use our woodburner in the winter,so i like the idea of saving up until we need it

anyone else been tempted by this?
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    anyone else been tempted by this?
    Originally posted by alankershaw66
    Well.... Looked at their T&Cs....

On termination of subscription, we will refund your money saved to date only (minus 5% to cover transaction charges incurred).
    OUCH

Their prices are also quite steep, so no, I'm not even the slightest bit tempted. I save a bit each week via payroll deductions that goes in to a Credit Union account. It pays interest, the money is protected by the FSCS, and there are no admin fees if/when I want to make a withdrawal. It also gives me the opportunity to shop around for firewood and get it at a much better price.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 15th Nov 17, 11:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    • 15th Nov 17, 11:40 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 11:40 PM
    have to admit hadnt seen that my fault for glossing over small print having said that if theyre a growing business i can see why thatd be the case
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 16th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    • 16th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 10:11 AM
    FreeBear do you have the link to the ts and cs page? struggling to find it but thats probably user error than site error
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13,262 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    Terms and conditions...

https://firewoodfund.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

I'm not all tempted either.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 16th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    • 16th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    thanks gloomendoom - ill be placing an order either this weekend or next week so the proof as they say will be in the pudding

i'll let you all know my thoughts

hoping this will be a good solution
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 16th Nov 17, 11:55 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:55 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:55 PM
    Looking at their prices, I'd rather just buy a truckload of wood at half that price.

When I bought wood in bulk, I found it better to buy in the spring, then shove it in the log store for another summer's seasoning.

These days, i mostly scrounge the wood, and buy in small quantities to top up if needed.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 17th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    • 17th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 17th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    where do you get your wood from, out of interest? i use a couple of logburners rather than an open fire
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 17th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 17th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 17th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    In the past, it was just firms that advertise in the local papers. They would come round with a pick-up truck or trailer filled with logs, for about £70. The quantity was a bit vague, but must have been around 1 cubic metre. It's always sold as seasoned, but an extra summer in the log store seems to help it burn.

These days, most of my wood is scrounged. I do a lot of voluntary work at local nature reserves, and this is the time of year when we're often cutting down trees where they are not wanted. If I'm lucky, the work site will be within easy carrying distance to the car. The down-side is that I have to saw all the logs to the right lengths myself, split them if necessary and store them for 2 years.

If it ever looks like I'm running out of logs, I'll buy a boot-load of firewood from https://morghew.com/shop/honesty-stall/
    If it sticks, force it.
    • mumf
    • By mumf 19th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    mumf
    Most of my wood is scrounged,and I have landscaper/gardener/builder contacts who drop waste ( which they charge for) and it works.I am multi fuel ( this is our primary heating),and going back to the OP ,I have a coal fund.I chuck a fiver a week into a tin in the workshop,and when the coalman delivers,I pay him cash.Done!
    • Greenfires
    • By Greenfires 21st Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Greenfires
    Not a chance! £175 for a tad over a cube?!! And I have no idea why they say their wood is drier than seasoned wood. Kiln driers work to an average of 20%, which in many good drying years will be beaten by naturally seasoned wood. Just one more example of KD wood being flogged as the best you can buy - it ain't. If you have the money for a truckload, you can have a container full shipped from eastern Europe (which is stacked tighter than a really tight thing - not just thrown in a bulk bag) for much less per cube.
    Maybe I should start flogging my wood instead of burning it!
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 23rd Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Not a chance! £175 for a tad over a cube?!!
    Originally posted by Greenfires
    Good grief! (I hadn't checked their web site.). I'm another scrounger - picked up some more from less than 100 yards away yesterday - and have a couple of years on the go seasoning at any one time in my terraced house garden. Kindling is pallets from local workshops.

As I get older I might want to do less processing, but plenty of ads in our local free magazines and road side signs out in the country, it would just be a question of getting someone trustworthy. A moisture meter is your friend. Sounds like they're appealing to the Sunday supplement crowd.
    • Greenfires
    • By Greenfires 25th Nov 17, 9:58 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Greenfires
    A moisture meter is your friend.
    As is knowing how to use one! We've supplied a new firewood outfit near us with several hundred empty ibc cages for storage. Now he has a nice website with lots of pictures of all these cages sitting in the sunshine all full of logs - and a few videos with the moisture meter to help shove them out the door to easily lead buyers. Including one where the first reading he takes returns "OL" which I assume is "out of limit", and the second one where he sticks the probes into the end grain of a log. And he's the "professional"....sad ain't it?
    • alankershaw66
    • By alankershaw66 29th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    alankershaw66
    took a delivery from them yesterday, was a bit worried that the palatte wouldnt fit in my front garden but all was ok,

couldnt resist lighting the burner last night and it was worth it! Surprised at how many people scrounge their wood, from my experience that stuff does to the wood burner what too many microwave meals do to the body
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 29th Nov 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    No. We scrounge it then we season it. In the case of leylandia I also debark it, which is easy after it's been seasoned a bit.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 29th Nov 17, 11:17 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    Ectophile
    All my scrounged wood is cut up and stacked for a year. Then it goes into the log store where it sits for another year. Only then is it ready to burn. Except for the conifer that's taken 3 years to be any good.

The stuff I've been burning recently is going really well. Mostly willow, which isn't even supposed to be any good as firewood.
    If it sticks, force it.
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 30th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    Swipe
    from my experience that stuff does to the wood burner what too many microwave meals do to the body
    Originally posted by alankershaw66
    Nonsense, I've burnt all sorts of rubbish in my stove and it's still going strong 20 years later
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 30th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Nonsense, I've burnt all sorts of rubbish in my stove and it's still going strong 20 years later
    Originally posted by Swipe
    Same here.............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,653Posts Today

6,136Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin