Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suzyjane
    • By suzyjane 15th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 25Thanks
    suzyjane
    Any recommendations for eyelash growth serums?
    • 15th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    Any recommendations for eyelash growth serums? 15th Nov 17 at 5:13 PM
    Hi everyone.
    I have very sparse eyelashes and small eyes. In an attempt to have luscious long lashes I am wondering about eyelash growth serums. Having looked into this I'm shocked by how much money they can cost - several are well over the £40 mark So........ can anyone recommend a serum that they have found really works? If the cheaper ones are no good at all then I'd invest in a pricey one if they are any good at all. I just don't want to fork out for an expensive one if a cheaper version does the same job
    Thank you :beer
    Last edited by suzyjane; 15-11-2017 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Wrong emoji
Page 1
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 16th Nov 17, 3:32 AM
    • 12,258 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 16th Nov 17, 3:32 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 3:32 AM
    I'm yet to find a serum that's actually done anything! The latest I've tried is the growth mascara serum mascara from Superdrug. It didn't do anything.
    I have however had good results from the Rimmel Accelerator mascara (black tube, green writing). It took about 2 weeks to show but definitely did something.
    If it's any help my mum said she rated the "Rapid Growth" serum (I think this was the name! It's meant to be painted on like an eye liner and is clear). I can't vouch for it because it's one I've not tried.
    And finally, a friend I once had at school used to have really long lashes, she always used to credit them to applying Vaseline to her eyelids and lashes every night. To me I can't think of anything I'd like to do least but she used to swear by it. Her lashes were really long though!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 16th Nov 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:20 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:20 AM
    I have very fine and fair lashes and have used Revitalash for the past 2 years or so. Works great for me, but very expensive. I use it as directed then when lashes nice and long just once or twice a week. I use it sparingly and it lasts me for ages. Bought from qvc to try under money back guarantee and saw results well within the time, I usually try and look for one of their offers when I need more.

I have thought about trying to find cheaper versions, so interested to read if you receive recommendations.

Mascara is still tricky for me as most of the ones just make my lashes clump together, but have found a few that work OK.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 16th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    Yes the big one that does work is Revitalash, its best to buy from QVC when they have a todays special value, on easy pay.

I have read that castor oil is also really good(never tried it), you rub a tiny amount into the lashes at night.
    • suzyjane
    • By suzyjane 16th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    suzyjane
    • 16th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 4:19 PM
    Interesting recommendations everyone - I might try the castor oil and Vasaline suggestions. Nice and cheap! I like the idea of trying Revitalash via QVC - if it doesn't work I'll get a refund lol. More suggestions welcome ))))
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 16th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 11,341 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 16th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    In America they use glaucoma medication to increase eyelash growth, it’s starting to catch on privately over here but requires a private appointment with a consultant ophthalmologist plus the cost of the drug and lots of aftercare to monitor the side effects.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • asajj
    • By asajj 16th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 10,598 Thanks
    asajj
    • 16th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 6:27 PM
    I did use Castor Oil in the past. I think what it does basically was that it conditions/hydrates your eyelashes, so they won't fall as much thus you will have fuller lashes. I have a reasonable amount of eyelashes though. It is cheap enough to test and see if it works for you.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 8,981 Posts
    • 13,045 Thanks
    meer53
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    In America they use glaucoma medication to increase eyelash growth, itís starting to catch on privately over here but requires a private appointment with a consultant ophthalmologist plus the cost of the drug and lots of aftercare to monitor the side effects.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    I've been prescribed these drops, they do work, my eyelashes are fantastic, but i'd rather have sparse eyelashes than have to use these every single night.
    • cashewnut
    • By cashewnut 16th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    cashewnut
    • 16th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    In America they use glaucoma medication to increase eyelash growth, itís starting to catch on privately over here but requires a private appointment with a consultant ophthalmologist plus the cost of the drug and lots of aftercare to monitor the side effects.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Can't it permanent change your eye colour? Not worth it for longer lashes!
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 17th Nov 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    donnac2558
    yes, that is why it is prescription only in the US. If you have light coloured eyes, blue,gray or green they will turn a muddy brown it seems. Stop using and they go back to normal colour again.
    • Sephs
    • By Sephs 22nd Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sephs
    Seconding Vaseline. When we were in school, we used to apply it to our legs to keep our socks up. We would always have a ring of longer hairs where the Vaseline had been!
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 22nd Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    Originally posted by cashewnut
    I have to use one of these medications. I've had a lot of the side effects, including eye colour change (my irises are heading towards black at the moment, from dark blue) and wonderful eye lashes. I'm happy with that because the alternative is way, way worse.

As a cosmetic enhancement though, without the need for the medication, then I concur with your comments. I wouldn't choose to have these.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 22nd Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 11,341 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Originally posted by cashewnut
    You donít use it as an eye drop, it comes in an applicator like a mascara. Side effects are that it can darken the skin where the serum touches and also make hair grow anywhere else that the drug touches so if youíre like me and blink a line of mascara under your eyes youíll end up with a weird extra line of hair on the top of your cheek.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • paj1193
    • By paj1193 29th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    paj1193
    I use castor oil frequently for hair growth on my scalp. I typically do a hot oil treatment twice a week with a combination of Castor, Almond, and Vitamin E oils. I've also tested the formula on my eyebrows by applying a small amount before going to sleep. It has made a huge difference in my hair and eyebrows; it just requires consistency. I imagine it would have similar results for lashes as well. You just need to be patient with this treatment; it took about four to six months to see a noticeable difference in my hair growth.
    Lost is a lovely place to find yourself.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 1st Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I use castor oil frequently for hair growth on my scalp. I typically do a hot oil treatment twice a week with a combination of Castor, Almond, and Vitamin E oils. I've also tested the formula on my eyebrows by applying a small amount before going to sleep. It has made a huge difference in my hair and eyebrows; it just requires consistency. I imagine it would have similar results for lashes as well. You just need to be patient with this treatment; it took about four to six months to see a noticeable difference in my hair growth.
    Originally posted by paj1193
    paj1193. Would you mind giving me the approx % breakdown of the oils that you use please? I have recently started a prescribed medication, one of the main side effects is hair loss and I am keen to mitigate this as much as possible. It may seem shallow, but if it was severe I am of a mind to stop taking it, getting old is OK and reduced mobility may have to be lived with, but major hair loss
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 3rd Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 4,583 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Try this

https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Castor-Oil-for-Hair
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 3rd Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thank you, I will get mixing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter