Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 15th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,449Posts
    • 1,239Thanks
    StopIt
    0 WOW
    Angel Delight: Making a comeback with sales up 30%
    • 15th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    0 WOW
    Angel Delight: Making a comeback with sales up 30% 15th Nov 17 at 9:53 AM
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/15/angel-delight-sales-mr-kipling-oxo-premier-foods

Angel Delight is making a comeback half a century after the whipped dessert first hit the shelves.
    Sales of the brand jumped 30% over the six months to the end of September, according to its maker, Premier Foods, as consumers were tempted back by a new ready-to-eat version of the milky dessert, first launched in 1967 by Birds.

So, aside from the Business Live section calling it "Retro", making me feel old, who here loves Angel Delight? Have you noticed the new ready made versions (I have not!) and have you tried the cheaper own brand alternatives?

On a related note, what other "Retro" foods would you like to make a comeback. The more obscure the better!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
Page 2
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 17th Nov 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,428 Thanks
    MMF007
    Er, sugar-free chocolate with a good generous sprinkle of coffee granules added on top
    Makes a change when low carbing, as it is difficult to get a dessert with no sugar in.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 18th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 8,543 Thanks
    chanie
    I didn’t realise it was coming back. I’m pleased I’m ahead of the trend, as my children enjoy it. They call it ‘Pudding’ and we buy it from Lidl.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 19th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Does anyone remember the other product sold at the time, Instant whip.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Now you mention it, I think that was my favourite. Much better than Angel Delight.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th Nov 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    The only angel delight I ever liked was the coffee flavour. It stopped selling in the early 70s.It was silky smooth and tasted so good chilled. Does anyone remember the other product sold at the time, Instant whip. My kids used to be forever mixing a packet up. It did'nt have the density of flavour angel delight had and I always thought it was quite gloopy but kids loved it.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Angel delight pales into insignificance compared to Instant Whip.

https://easyontheeye2.wordpress.com/packaging/instant-whip/

We also used to have Junket, (made with rennet).
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • lily117
    • By lily117 19th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    lily117
    It's sold in tins of the powder as well as the packets now, works out better value. Home Bargains sell it.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 19th Nov 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    Callie22
    Angel delight pales into insignificance compared to Instant Whip.

https://easyontheeye2.wordpress.com/packaging/instant-whip/

We also used to have Junket, (made with rennet).
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    We were never allowed Instant Whip as it was apparently 'a bit common' , although Angel Delight wasn't, for some odd reason! I do occasionally eat it now but it's definitely not the same as it used to be. It used to be really, really thick but now it's much thinner and 'foamy'. I still love the butterscotch flavour but I miss the original version.

I have tried junket a couple of times and I love the flavour (milk and nutmeg, yum) but I do find the texture a bit 'challenging'. It's a shame it's not more well known but I'm guessing that's because of the rennet.
    Last edited by Callie22; 19-11-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 19th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    artyclarty
    I used to love the supermarket own brand banana but all of a sudden a couple of years ago they all disappeared from literally! I may still have a few considerably out of date ones hanging about for a rainy day!

But I absolutely refuse to spend an extra 20p to buy the "branded" for something I will ultimately shovel in my mouth within the space of a minute or so!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's sold in tins of the powder as well as the packets now, works out better value. Home Bargains sell it.
    Originally posted by lily117
    Thanks, worth investigating.

I wouldn't want my niece to miss out on such retro delights as I enjoyed in the 1970s/80s
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 20th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Oh you wicked people I read this thread yesterday and was in home bargs today so just had to get a tub of butterscotch and a tub of strawberry Angel Delight,to complete the going back in time malarkey above them were litre bottles of Crusha milk shake mix strawberry and raspberry so got one of each,feels like being a teenager again
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Nov 17, 12:23 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Oh you wicked people I read this thread yesterday and was in home bargs today so just had to get a tub of butterscotch and a tub of strawberry Angel Delight,to complete the going back in time malarkey above them were litre bottles of Crusha milk shake mix strawberry and raspberry so got one of each,feels like being a teenager again
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Ah, The Trouble With Goats and Sheep
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 20th Nov 17, 12:25 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Ah, The Trouble With Goats and Sheep
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Made me grin
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    Originally posted by PLRFD

I'll take my commission cheque now please!

Also, I loved Crusha!

*makes another note for next shop*
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 30th Nov 17, 12:17 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    We were never allowed Instant Whip as it was apparently 'a bit common' , although Angel Delight wasn't, for some odd reason! I do occasionally eat it now but it's definitely not the same as it used to be. It used to be really, really thick but now it's much thinner and 'foamy'. I still love the butterscotch flavour but I miss the original version.

I have tried junket a couple of times and I love the flavour (milk and nutmeg, yum) but I do find the texture a bit 'challenging'. It's a shame it's not more well known but I'm guessing that's because of the rennet.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    we were common then... loved instant whip and yes I'm a junket fan too. Just got some rennet off Amazon and have gone back 40 years to when my Gran made it.

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Saving for Jersey 2018 - it's a challenge...
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 17,162 Posts
    • 102,609 Thanks
    maman
    This takes me back.

I remember as a teenager being taken home for tea by my then boyfriend. I struggled through a bowl of Angel Delight, horrible sloppy stuff, to be polite. At home we always had home made puddings.

Some years ago I tuned into a WAG version of Come Dine with Me just to be nosey with the tasteless blingy houses. There was a WAG on there and the pudding she made was a disaster so she whipped up some of the stuff, called her French husband for a quick translation and passed it off as Delice des Anges.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 30th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 97,795 Thanks
    missprice
    Oh I hadn't had angel delight for decades, then I got into baking cakes and biscuits. For lava cake you need angel delight----other brands available, I did chocolate lava cake with butterscotch AD <<<makes the lava bit
    Lovely. Must now go buy giant tins of it in home bargains and make more cakes, some milk shakes and maybe the actual dessert.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin