Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 14th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Richmc
    what are Green Energy shares worth?
    • 14th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    what are Green Energy shares worth? 14th Nov 17 at 6:06 PM
    I've been with Green Energy for a little over a year, if I stay with them after three years I can access 400 shares in the company that I have been allocated.
    I now find I can switch and save £89pa but I cant find Green Energy shares listed on the London stock exchange, they could be listed under another name?
    Does anyone know what they are presently worth? do they pay a dividend if so how much. This will determine whether I stick with them or not.
Page 1
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 14th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Sarastro
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 7:31 PM
    There are four companies listed on the London Stock Exchange when searching for "Green Energy"
    Capman Green Energy Fund AD
    Green Energy Technology Inc (GETA:LSE)
    Green Energy Technology Inc (GET:LSE)
    Greentech Energy Systems.

2 and 3 are related to each other in some way. They could all be related, or separate; it's difficult to tell.

You need to find the company name, which must be on their website or a bill somewhere...If you can find the company registration number and look it up on companies house - this will tell you the exact name of the company, then search for that .

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/it-s-official-you-re-paying-too-much-for-energy

By staying with them, you are effectively betting that the higher price you will inevitably pay for your energy will be 'repaid' by the value of the shares. There's no way to know that. If you take the above £300, then your shares will need to be at least £2.25 each to make it worthwhile (and you could be overpaying by a lot more than that.

If you can find out who the company is and look at their share price history (try yahoo finance) then you could have a stab at saying whether they will be that high in three years time, but it's guesswork.
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 3rd Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Richmc
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    After a conversation with Green Energy it seems my shares are worth nothing and are not listed so not actually shares. So I'm switching, it's a shame an "eco friendly" company has acted in this way to attract my custom that the seem not to deserve. I'm now going with One Select.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 3rd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 15,296 Posts
    • 21,828 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    I've been with Green Energy for a little over a year, if I stay with them after three years I can access 400 shares in the company that I have been allocated.
    I now find I can switch and save £89pa but I cant find Green Energy shares listed on the London stock exchange, they could be listed under another name?
    Does anyone know what they are presently worth? do they pay a dividend if so how much. This will determine whether I stick with them or not.
    Originally posted by Richmc
    It's GREEN ENERGY (UK) PLC - Company number 04194006
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04194006

They have a customer share scheme. The shares are not listed. The company is profitable. The shares might be listed at some point in the future. They might decide to pay a dividend at some point in the future.

I'd guess that the current market value of a share would be close to 0p, but that they might be worth something in the future.
    • whiteslice
    • By whiteslice 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    whiteslice
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    I'm with Green Energy UK and frankly I'm not with them for the shares, but for their environmental cred. Both their electricity and gas are 100% renewable. I cannot find any information about OneSelect fuel mix (although I believe they are supposed to display this information on their website?). It's nice that they offer shares at all, imho, whatever their real value.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 27,105 Posts
    • 13,219 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    it's a shame an "eco friendly" company has acted in this way to attract my custom
    Originally posted by Richmc
    In many cases firms using the term 'Green' should add 'the term 'scam' to their adverts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,583Posts Today

7,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin