Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 13th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,754Posts
    • 711Thanks
    littlewren
    Dynorod caused big leak in ceiling, asbestos query-urgent plse
    • 13th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    Dynorod caused big leak in ceiling, asbestos query-urgent plse 13th Nov 17 at 8:10 PM
    I am at my wits end. Dynorod caused a leak through my ceiling 4 days ago, which is about 5ft in width and approx. 2ft depth & I'm currently waiting for it to be sorted. My house was built in 1980-81 and I have asked British Gas (I have service care with them so Dynorod was sent out) if they can arrange an asbestos survey, which they have refused. I'm worried sick that the ceiling might contain asbestos because of its age. Dynorod want to just cut away the damaged part of the ceiling and do a patch repair. I don't want to get a home testing kit & they won't pay for an asbestos survey, I'm completely stuck. The house really smells, it's open plan so even though I have to sit upstairs most of the time the smell is carried upstairs

I'm being given different information from various websites. I posted elsewhere, a man more or less told me I was being stupid and that it wouldn't contain asbestos, a different man told me it could.

I feel like I'm going mad! I don't want to let Dynorod remove & patch repair until I'm confident there's no asbestos and nobody's willing to help me.

Can anyone advise further please?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by littlewren; 13-11-2017 at 8:18 PM.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Page 3
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 29th Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    littlewren
    Asbestos containing materials such as artex are unlicensed and can be dealt with by anyone taking precautions. No amount of air testing will get a high fibre count for cutting out a section of ceiling. And OP what was the mystery machine that someone wafted around your curtains and beeped?
    AWB
    Originally posted by A Wright-Burke
    He said it was a machine for testing dampness. The builder came out with one originally and basically said it was showing high damp levels but 'machines such as that were unreliable anyway.' He 'proved' it by testing it on his hand and showing that it had a high level of dampness. Then a bloke came out looking at the curtains & carpet and used another damp meter. This time, it beeped in certain areas, he said the ceiling couldn't be repaired until it was properly dry, which was why he left me a dehumidifier and air blower. Since then it has extracted a huge amount of water in the container.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter