Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • easygoing
    • By easygoing 13th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    easygoing
    OMG am I lighting up a town?
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    OMG am I lighting up a town? 13th Nov 17 at 6:33 PM
    We are having a nightmare with our electricity bills. We are a normal 3 bedroom detached bungalow. Heated by oil (just changing). we use Electricity for all the normal things and for cooking. Our electricity bills over the last 2 years have been rising steeply. We now have quarterly bills of 2.5k per quarter. Yes, you read that right.... 2.5k per quarter. We have lived here for 10years and had normal bills of about £400 per year, tops!
    6 months ago, we had an energy efficient electric water heater, but that was only 6 months ago.
    Two years ago, our neighbours.. its a smallholding, no house, had electric fitted, running off the transformer which is on our land.
    We have fitted at the moment, a check meter. An engineer called out before it was fitted and checked our supply. He said, that out of 4 readings of calibrated testing, 2 read false. Hence the test meter. Today, we have had a phone call, asking for the readings and they appear to be reading correctly.
    It works out that our electricity bills will be amounting to 8 - 10k a year!
    Now I am no expert of average use of electricity in a house, but it cant be that much... can it?
    To be fair SSE have been very supportive and have treated us with the up most respect and understanding.
    But seriously, where do we go now ?
    We live in a detached bungalow, no neighbours to speak of, there are 4 adults that live here. Two disabled, one of 83 myself and my husband. So there is someone in all day.
    We use lights, tv, computers, cooker, dishwasher and washing machines with dryer. We also now have a eco water heater, (only because our boiler wouldn't send the hot water to the end of the house for my mums shower. )
    Mum has eco heaters two of them in her part of the house but obviously they only run in cold weather. We also have air conditioning in her part for the summer, if we need it, but its rarely on.
    that's it!! nothing more.
    Where do we go next, anyone been in this situation themselves?
Page 3
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 2,115 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Robin9
    Easygoing - What did the electrician find ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    (Even if its embarrassing ) easygoing are you going to tell us ?

- then others can learn
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 10th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    at the moment no resolution...OP's mother not very well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,594Posts Today

5,223Users online

Martin's Twitter