Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • heken123
    • By heken123 13th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    heken123
    Scottish Power constant bills but not a customer
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    Scottish Power constant bills but not a customer 13th Nov 17 at 6:01 PM
    After 11 months of demanding letters from Scottish Power. Bills which dated back to 2013 but account had suddenly just been created. Ringing several different grids to find out who my supplier is, ringing Scottish Power at least 10 times stupidly didn't log calls.

They rang me on Saturday saying because I have been paying a different supplier they will clear the debt! Previous to this they had told me I would have to get the money back from my previous suppliers and pay them. I've had three energy providers since 2013.

I told her I would like compensation for all the stress and 0845 numbers I've called. She offered me £25, I said £50 which she then agreed.

However this morning I get an email from gtc telling me Scottish Power have never provided me energy.
    Really cross as women made out they were not really at fault, and had I of known that I would have asked for more!

Maybe that's greedy but this has really caused me a great deal of stress and lots of hassle going round in circles for 11 months getting nowhere!

If I have excepted £50, however now have the full picture would I have any leg to stand on asking for more
    Last edited by heken123; 13-11-2017 at 6:04 PM.
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 13th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    After 11 months of demanding letters from Scottish Power. Bills which dated back to 2013 but account had suddenly just been created. Ringing several different grids to find out who my supplier is, ringing Scottish Power at least 10 times stupidly didn't log calls.

They rang me on Saturday saying because I have been paying a different supplier they will clear the debt! Previous to this they had told me I would have to get the money back from my previous suppliers and pay them. I've had three energy providers since 2013.

I told her I would like compensation for all the stress and 0845 numbers I've called. She offered me £25, I said £50 which she then agreed.

However this morning I get an email from gtc telling me Scottish Power have never provided me energy.
    Really cross as women made out they were not really at fault, and had I of known that I would have asked for more!

Maybe that's greedy but this has really caused me a great deal of stress and lots of hassle going round in circles for 11 months getting nowhere!

If I have excepted £50, however now have the full picture would I have any leg to stand on asking for more
    Originally posted by heken123
    Sorry, I'm a little confused with what you think you have just learned.

Here is your thread from July with the same title
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5684224

In your OP there you clearly stated:

Hi
    Since Christmas last year I have been getting bills from scottish power. They have never been my provider since I became the first tenant of a new build nearly 4 years ago. ...
    • heken123
    • By heken123 13th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    heken123
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:29 PM
    Sorry, I'm a little confused with what you think you have just learned.

Here is your thread from July with the same title
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5684224

In your OP there you clearly stated:
    Originally posted by footyguy
    They said they supplied me gas when I took over the property even though I was told on handover date it was eon.
    They also said they were the named provider on national grid (gtc) told me last week they were as well but gave a wrong meter serial number and MPRN number.
    So I emailed GTC and told them it was the wrong serial number they then told me that Scottish Power had in-fact never supplied me with gas
    • brenda50
    • By brenda50 14th Nov 17, 3:41 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    brenda50
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:41 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 3:41 PM

I am having a similar problem with them. I moved into this property 6 months ago, and the landlord was unable to give me the suplier as the previous occupants had done a bunk, so I researched it myself and found it to be Scottish Power.

I read the meters and got a housing manager to verify them then rang SP and told them what was happening. They tried to give me a tarif but I said no I was going to continue with British Gas on the MSE collective fix from my old home. The switch took 6 days and BG used the readings I gave.

Then I started to get loads of demanding letters from SP with all sorts of wrong readings, one of them which they seemed to take as the final reading was in fact an actual reading they took about 10 weeks into my supply by BG.

I did not notice however, not bothering to read their bills closely that they had put me on a 2 year fix and were obviously still classing me as a customer though it said my account was closed online. I had different stories every time I rang and assurances that it was all sorted out and I owed them nothing. Then a third party got involved with threatening letters.

I was just about to go to the Ombudsman but had lost the letter with the date of the Stalemate or whatever its called. I had also not noticed till then that they had put me on a fix. My concentration is very poor as I have ME. I also read that I had to be clear what I was complaining about and had not said about the fix till then.

So I rang them asking for a copy of the original phone call to prove I had said no to a fix with them and sent scans of my final bills from BG to show the start readings which shoulkd have been their final readings for me and that I had been paying for my fuel since then.

They responded by opening my complaint case again and said they will sort it out in 2-3 days. I said I was going to the Ombudsman as I want compensation for stress. So that's where mine is so far.
    Last edited by brenda50; 14-11-2017 at 3:45 PM.
    • heken123
    • By heken123 15th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    heken123
    • 15th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    I am having a similar problem with them. I moved into this property 6 months ago, and the landlord was unable to give me the suplier as the previous occupants had done a bunk, so I researched it myself and found it to be Scottish Power.

I read the meters and got a housing manager to verify them then rang SP and told them what was happening. They tried to give me a tarif but I said no I was going to continue with British Gas on the MSE collective fix from my old home. The switch took 6 days and BG used the readings I gave.

Then I started to get loads of demanding letters from SP with all sorts of wrong readings, one of them which they seemed to take as the final reading was in fact an actual reading they took about 10 weeks into my supply by BG.

I did not notice however, not bothering to read their bills closely that they had put me on a 2 year fix and were obviously still classing me as a customer though it said my account was closed online. I had different stories every time I rang and assurances that it was all sorted out and I owed them nothing. Then a third party got involved with threatening letters.

I was just about to go to the Ombudsman but had lost the letter with the date of the Stalemate or whatever its called. I had also not noticed till then that they had put me on a fix. My concentration is very poor as I have ME. I also read that I had to be clear what I was complaining about and had not said about the fix till then.

So I rang them asking for a copy of the original phone call to prove I had said no to a fix with them and sent scans of my final bills from BG to show the start readings which shoulkd have been their final readings for me and that I had been paying for my fuel since then.

They responded by opening my complaint case again and said they will sort it out in 2-3 days. I said I was going to the Ombudsman as I want compensation for stress. So that's where mine is so far.
    Originally posted by brenda50
    Yes I would definitely contact Ombudsman, check Scottish Power has your correct serial number and MPRN number. Log all calls who you speak to etc and write them a letter stating you want compensation and how much you think you are entitled to. Hope you get it sorted soon
    • zaax
    • By zaax 16th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    zaax
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 16th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    Mobile phones can record the call. Keep all of them and save them to another computer (or cloud).
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Scottish Power
    • 16th Nov 17, 2:57 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 2:57 PM

Hi heken123,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced.

So we can arrange to get this investigated further for you, can you possibly please email us at social@scottishpower.com including your full address and or any account number that appeared on the correspondence you received from ScottishPower?

Kind regards
    Faye
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • honeyend
    • By honeyend 16th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    honeyend
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 16th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    I have has dealing with Scottish Power and my advice is save every bill, whether you think its correct or not. Do most of your complaints online so you have evidence of complaint, if you ring as for the persons name. Its amazing how they lose information although calls are supposed to be recorded. and logged.
    Do a timeline that you can refer to.
    I 'owed' them £80, the amount of fairytales I was told was unbelievable. Persistence paid off, but its a bit like groundhog day, they are being paid to **** you off and really could not care.
    I irony of all this was I got switched to SP by mistake and only didn't change sooner as I knew I was going to have problems.
    It wouldn't matter if they were giving away fuel for free, I would not use them.
    • charlyiiv
    • By charlyiiv 4th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    charlyiiv
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    Here's my wonderful experience, been ongoing for over 2 years even after Ofgem intervened and settled in my favour.

This is the third complaint due to you sending me a letter regarding my last complaint as follows:

31st October 2017

'We are dealing with some complex matters regarding your account and I will contact you as soon as I can to fully resolve your complaint'
    Signed Kirsty Webster

When I checked my complaint 2 weeks later it had been closed due to no contact from customer!!!!!! Absolutely disgraceful Scottish Power. What is worse I spent half an hour of my life on the phone with your clueless customer services team who promised to get some one to contact me and guess what?? No one did!

Originally Kirsty Webster was in contact with sort the final meter reads and final bill which she did well and issued me with a cheque for a £5 refund. You would think that this meant it was all sorted and I could relax and forget all about the nightmare which is Scottish Power, but alas no......... Around 2 weeks later I receive a further bill which now has a new meter read (supplied by me apparently!) with an extra 2000 KW hours added on and a new bill to compliment it. So there starts my second complaint which has been skillfully avoided by SP and closed as per above. So now I have a final demand which threatens a default on my credit record....thanks for that! I have today paid the bill despite this being completely of SP's making but must not allow you to completely wreck my finances.

I have photographic evidence of my final meter read of 63914 on the 15th September as agreed with Kirsty Webster. So why despite agreeing this and I have a letter to prove, has SP then billed me again with a reading of 65393 dated the 6th of September? The mind boggles, are your systems based on a bingo machine type technology?

As I am now more than used to your 'brush it under the carpet' attitude I am documenting this complaint on social media and will also present all this to the national press along with posting on various online groups etc.

Here's hoping!

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,228Posts Today

6,080Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin