Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 12th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 708Posts
    • 457Thanks
    David Aston
    Samsung 204B
    • 12th Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    Samsung 204B 12th Nov 17 at 3:21 PM
    Hello Guys
    It appears to me that notwithstanding the impossibility of taking updates on my Vista enabled Dell, the blank screen start up problems could be relatively cheaply fixed, if I purchased a cheapish new monitor.
    However, this monitor connects to the Dell via - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD 15) 24+1 pin digital DVI. Sorry, I have just copied that from a web page with the monitor specs.
    Would a modern monitor fit, or would I have to see if I have HDMI on the back of the Dell?
    OK, I have just envisioned you guys saying, "For goodness sake, don't be so bone idle, move the PC and have a look!!!"
    So, no HDMI. There seems to be one spare socket which is identical to the current connector, and at the top, a blue coloured socket which seems to be a 15 pin version of the current one.
    Am I out of luck do you think?
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    I am really confused as to what you are actually asking here.

Getting a new monitor for a old PC?

Cheap monitors can still often come in VGA only (even if that makes no sense as it adds extra circuitry!).

DVI is basically HDMI without sound so if you gert something with HDMI only you can get a simple lead with HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. (certainly preferable to using VGA).
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 12th Nov 17, 4:00 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 12th Nov 17, 4:00 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 4:00 PM
    Sorry Carrot, yes I was asking about a new monitor to plug into an eight, nine year old Dell.
    I am thrown by your suggestion which appears to offer your preferred route, while giving no sound? I know, I must have that wrong. So a new monitor with a HDMI to DVI lead? And that plugs into my existing 21 or 15 pin sockets?
    Thanks for your response.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    Sorry Carrot, yes I was asking about a new monitor to plug into an eight, nine year old Dell.
    I am thrown by your suggestion which appears to offer your preferred route, while giving no sound? I know, I must have that wrong. So a new monitor with a HDMI to DVI lead? And that plugs into my existing 21 or 15 pin sockets?
    Thanks for your response.
    Originally posted by David Aston
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    Are you sure its a screen issue?
    What is the dell model no.?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Nov 17, 3:42 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 13th Nov 17, 3:42 AM
    • 13th Nov 17, 3:42 AM
    What relevance the subject title?
    An eleven year old monitor for an eight to nine year old PC? Is that the new monitor to which you refer?
    What is the Service Tag or Express Service Code of your PC?
    Perhaps time to move to Windows 7?
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 13th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    Thanks for your comments guys.
    It is a Dell Inspiron 530 32 bit.
    The service tag, and express service code are,
    CZ33W3J,
    My thread title refers to the current monitor. For six months or more, switching on may either produce the log in screen. More likely it will either stay black, or sequence between grey and black. Up to now, simply oiking the power plug of the monitor out of the mains, and then putting it back again, has worked.
    I certainly wouldn't mind having a crack at Windows 7 if I could work out which are the legit ones to buy, from Amazon, for instance.
    I will be grateful for any further comments.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 13th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    Also custardy, thanks to your very welcome image, I can confirm the current monitor is plugged in via DVI, the Dell also has a VGA socket.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    CZ33W3J,
    My thread title refers to the current monitor. For six months or more, switching on may either produce the log in screen. More likely it will either stay black, or sequence between grey and black. Up to now, simply oiking the power plug of the monitor out of the mains, and then putting it back again, has worked.
    I certainly wouldn't mind having a crack at Windows 7 if I could work out which are the legit ones to buy, from Amazon, for instance.
    right,so you have VGA onboard and a graphics card with DVI.
    Does your TV have HDMI? If so get the DVI to HDMI adapter to test before buying a monitor.
    Last edited by custardy; 13-11-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    CZ33W3J,
    You can either buy a licence for Windows 7 or use an internal DELL licence to activate Windows 7.
    Second option costs nothing.
    Either way a clean install is recommended. So you either need to store your data elsewhere or swap the hard drive with another.
    None of this is difficult to carry out. It just depends on whether you are capable of following a guide.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 14th Nov 17, 10:39 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thank you both. Is the relevance of the hdmi on telly, in order to test if the Adapter would work, in my circumstances Custardy? The tele is nowhere near the computer.
    EveryWhere, naturally the free from Dell sounds attractive. Could I load it onto one of my three external drives? Only at USB 2 speeds mind.
    I guess I should be able to follow a guide, although as I type this my wife is shaking her head!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 32,770 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    Thank you both. Is the relevance of the hdmi on telly, in order to test if the Adapter would work, in my circumstances Custardy? The tele is nowhere near the computer.
    EveryWhere, naturally the free from Dell sounds attractive. Could I load it onto one of my three external drives? Only at USB 2 speeds mind.
    I guess I should be able to follow a guide, although as I type this my wife is shaking her head!
    Its up to you. Just saves spending money on a 'fix' that might or might not work.
    All you need is the PC tower,power cable and cable to the TV to test it.
    so move the TV closer or PC closer.
    you dont really want your OS on an external drive day to day.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 14th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thanks Custardy!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    The operating system or the data currently on your boot drive?
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 15th Nov 17, 11:13 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    EveryWhere, I meant load the Windows 7 OS onto an external drive.
    Did spend all day yesterday researching around Dell, but couldn't come up with 7, free or otherwise.
    It may be that the many megabytes of updates which MS insists that I should download, but which won't download, are compromising everything.
    Thank you as always for your comments.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Nov 17, 7:55 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    EveryWhere, I meant load the Windows 7 OS onto an external drive.
    Did spend all day yesterday researching around Dell, but couldn't come up with 7, free or otherwise.
    It may be that the many megabytes of updates which MS insists that I should download, but which won't download, are compromising everything.
    Thank you as always for your comments.
    That is not how it works. The OS installs to your internal drive.
    You need to move all of your photos, documents etc to the external drive as you will wipe everything off the PC drive during a clean installation or just buy a internal HDD for £10 to £15 and swap them.
    Ideally you would swap to a solid state drive, But I hesitate to recommend spending the £50 it would cost to purchase such a thing, because of it's current age.
    But you have to decide on your path of action before we go through the steps of how to install the new OS.

The best option without spending too much would be to spend £8 on 2 x 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667 Desktop RAM taking your total RAM to 4 or 6GB and to effect the clean install of Windows 7.
    You'll get a much better than current performance out of that.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 16th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thanks EveryWhere,
    Dashing out for baby sitting duties just now.
    However, did manage to install Win 7 from a DVD my boy gave me.
    It sits on the C drive alongside the previous OS. The files of same show as windows.old and are accessible to view at least.
    As today's startup appeared to be not happening, the horrible fear that it was trying to boot up from the previous version formed in my mind. It got going eventually.
    Cheers for now.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Just to top and tail my own query, it was definitely the monitor playing up. So, new Acer, Win 7, and I'm rocking!
    Thanks again for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin