Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andygb
    • By andygb 12th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11,931Posts
    • 25,743Thanks
    andygb
    Poison pen letters
    • 12th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    Poison pen letters 12th Nov 17 at 11:19 AM
    I have been the recipient of five malicious letters from one of my relatives over the past six years.
    In most cases, poison pen letters are from an anonymous source, because the senders are not stupid enough to make false accusations about others, leaving themselves open to possible legal action. However, the person sending these letters often acts in haste and is deliberately callous, as well as being a habitual liar.
    I have in the past week, found out that two other relations have also received what we now describe as "howlers" from this person. The result is that the person responsible for these letters (and also verbal communications where lies have been spread) has lost the friendship and trust of the three people concerned, and their families.
    I have scanned all the letters which I have received, and so have the other recipients.
    All the letters I received also had an element of blackmail in them, something which I ignored, because it was based on falsehood.
    I want the letters to stop, and I want the person to stop telling lies to other relations about myself and my OH.
    Bearing in mind the sender of these vile letters doesn't think they have done anything wrong, how do I go about this?
Page 2
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 13th Nov 17, 3:15 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    I actually contacted the latest two recipients a few years ago, to warn them, but at the time they thought the sender was a wonderful, kind person, a view which they have since corrected. The person in question has a knack of coming across as being very generous and kind - overly kind in fact.
    I have found out that the sender was spreading verbal lies about myself and my OH to other relations, something which the relations up until this point in time, were taking at face value. This resulted in some relations who I had previously had a good relationship with, becoming a bit off with me.
    From what I have learned over the past couple of weeks, it sounds as though the sender may have moved on to other people, and is spreading malicious gossip about them. If the sender is challenged then they send letters out.
    The sender has never been in a relationship before, and has never worked with others as a team. The sender has also boasted of hurting people before, seeing nothing wrong in reducing people to tears.
    Both I and my OH have asked the sender, verbally, to stop sending these letters, but that request has been ignored.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Reading all that it sounds like the sender has mental health problems.
    I'd be at least lodging a complaint with the police, and continue to do so if more arrive, it may result in at least a warning of harassment for them. And if the Police do think mental health may be involved (which hopefully you may have helpfully mentioned) maybe they will look into if this person could be a danger to others or themselves.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 6th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 11,931 Posts
    • 25,743 Thanks
    andygb
    Just a quick update.
    One of the other relatives informed me yesterday, that they have received another letter from the usual source. The letter started off wishing her well, and hoping that the original letters were "water under the bridge", then went on to blame the relative and other people (including myself and a couple of people who are not involved at all) for everything which happened - all the nasty letters being sent by one person.
    I think AylesburyDuck is right, this person has mental issues.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter