Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MRoss
    • By MRoss 11th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MRoss
    Job Seeking but scared
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    Job Seeking but scared 11th Nov 17 at 4:41 PM
    Firstly please be nice - no trolls, no benefit-bashing please.

OK so I'm on ESA support group which means therefore I am not required to partake in job-seeking activities BUT I want to. I don't know whether I will be employable but I don't want to be stuck on handouts forever. (Please note, I'm not going to discuss my medical history here). I have never had a "proper job" so my CV has a huge gap (i.e. the bit reserved for employment history) so I was thinking to start with going to my local job centre and ask for help with a CV, applications etc. Has anyone tried this.

I rang to make an appointment and got through to a central switchboard who said they couldn't out me through to my local centre. Then they started asking what benefits I was on, my NI number etc and I got worried. I asked if this would mean I lose my current benefits (I need them until I can get a job) and they wouldn't answer so I hung up. Before I go into the Job Centre on Monday I thought I'd ask here if I could be making things worse for myself rather than better.

Again, please be nice (I'm still fragile)
Page 2
    • MRoss
    • By MRoss 14th Nov 17, 12:17 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MRoss
    Only fair that I give a concluding reply. I am truly grateful for the majority of responses on here but, have been offended by a couple, even though I do believe they were said with the best intentions. It demonstrates however that stereotypes still prevail and this reinforces my view that it is best to avoid the Job Centre and tell the DWP when I have something to tell them.

So right now I am constructing a "general CV" which can then be tweaked to suit individual applications. I do have a range of qualifications and training, more than enough to fill 2 pages of A4, and whether it is "unrealistic " or not to thing I can get a job without some level of support - let's just say "support" isn't all its cracked up to be and can make matters far worse. So for now, its little old me against the world.

Wish me luck!
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 27th Nov 17, 9:01 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Sarastro
    Depending on where you live, there may be an Individual Placement and Support service offered by a local charity, or even the mental health NHS Trust. This has a very proactive approach to getting people (who want to) into employment - it might be worth talking to them first.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 30th Nov 17, 10:54 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    I would call up ESA and ask for an appointment with your job adviser. Then tell them that you are thinking that you want to go back to work and whether they can help you get a day a week work experience etc and then increase it as you feel able to do more. You don't want to overdo it. My jobcentre offered me a work experience placement at the jobcentre when I was on ESA it was really good to get me out of the house every day, learning about benefits, doing some display work, helping people with computers etc... About 8 weeks later the manager suggested applying for an actual job they had.

And that was how I got back into work after a few years of being on ESA.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 1st Dec 17, 12:00 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    Only fair that I give a concluding reply. I am truly grateful for the majority of responses on here but, have been offended by a couple, even though I do believe they were said with the best intentions. It demonstrates however that stereotypes still prevail and this reinforces my view that it is best to avoid the Job Centre and tell the DWP when I have something to tell them.

So right now I am constructing a "general CV" which can then be tweaked to suit individual applications. I do have a range of qualifications and training, more than enough to fill 2 pages of A4, and whether it is "unrealistic " or not to thing I can get a job without some level of support - let's just say "support" isn't all its cracked up to be and can make matters far worse. So for now, its little old me against the world.

Wish me luck!
    Originally posted by MRoss
    Offended? Stereotypes prevail?

Speaking as someone who has been on ESA in the past, every response on here has been supportive of you trying to get back into work.
    • Eagles1905
    • By Eagles1905 1st Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Eagles1905
    First of all, good on you! Too many trolls on this thing when you're generally seeking help/advice.

Have you considered modern apprenticeship or intern style work as a way of gaining experience in something new?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter