Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DarrenJInglis
    • By DarrenJInglis 11th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    DarrenJInglis
    Paying default that isn't on credit report
    • 11th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    Paying default that isn't on credit report 11th Nov 17 at 3:14 PM
    Hi all,

I recently received a letter from 1st Credit regarding a debt from LloydsTSB (unplanned overdraft), to which I phoned them up to set up a payment plan so it doesn't turn into a CCJ. But upon inspection of my credit report on Noddle and Clearscore I see that this particular default isn't listed. I'm going to continue paying it anyway but it means that I don't know the default date or any other details of the debt. Would 1st Credit have these details? And do I have to keep paying it if it's not showing on my file?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 11th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 11,517 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 11th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    There are a variety of reasons why it might not appear on the two CRAs you have checked.

And nothing just turns into a ccj - there has to be a court claim first, which you have the opportunity to defend.

If you are happy with the payment plan, accept this is your debt, and there was never a 6-year period when you did not acknowledge the debt by payment or in writing, then keep going.
    • DarrenJInglis
    • By DarrenJInglis 11th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DarrenJInglis
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    Yeah that's what i meant regarding the debt turning into a CCJ, i didnt want to just assume it would disappear after 6 years and then i get hit with a surprise CCJ on a years time. But yes it's definitely my debt and i'm going to keep paying it. thanks for the reply!
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 11th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    Is it on your experian report?
    If the default is now over six years, then it could have fallen off, but if the last payment is less than six years then still liable. People think that once 6 years has gone its magically wiped. Lets say you had a default, then went had a debt management plan for a couple of years that stopped. Four years later some company comes-a-knocking, then they could still chase the debt because although the default was over six years and no longer on CRF the last payment was only 4 years ago.
    • DarrenJInglis
    • By DarrenJInglis 11th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DarrenJInglis
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    Is it on your experian report?
    If the default is now over six years, then it could have fallen off, but if the last payment is less than six years then still liable. People think that once 6 years has gone its magically wiped. Lets say you had a default, then went had a debt management plan for a couple of years that stopped. Four years later some company comes-a-knocking, then they could still chase the debt because although the default was over six years and no longer on CRF the last payment was only 4 years ago.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    I know the debt itself is over 6 years old but i don't know when the default date is. I've never paid anything towards it before until now but i do remember getting default notices for it years back. I think i'll phone the company and ask for the default date and details of the debt. As far as i know it's never shown on my reports either, but i've only been looking at them over the past year or so.
    Last edited by DarrenJInglis; 11-11-2017 at 7:19 PM. Reason: mistake
    • DarrenJInglis
    • By DarrenJInglis 13th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DarrenJInglis
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    So I'm just off the phone to 1St Central re the debt details, the default date was in June 2010 so it dropped off in June 2016. I acknowledged the debt during the six year period though so I'm still liable for it regardless. I'm paying it off monthly and I'll just let it tick over until it's cleared.

If I wanted to go for a mortgage in the future (not for a few years at least anyway but I'd like to have that option) would a payment plan like the above affect my chances? Like if it isn't visible on my credit reports and I'm just paying a monthly amount then can the mortgage lender see this?

Thanks again
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 14,049 Posts
    • 14,749 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    They may ask about it when they see it on your bank statements.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 13th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    So I'm just off the phone to 1St Central re the debt details, the default date was in June 2010 so it dropped off in June 2016. I acknowledged the debt during the six year period though so I'm still liable for it regardless. I'm paying it off monthly and I'll just let it tick over until it's cleared.

If I wanted to go for a mortgage in the future (not for a few years at least anyway but I'd like to have that option) would a payment plan like the above affect my chances? Like if it isn't visible on my credit reports and I'm just paying a monthly amount then can the mortgage lender see this?

Thanks again
    Originally posted by DarrenJInglis

Nope.

If it's off your files, it is gone.

The only thing that can be found by other means is Bankruptcy.

However, as you have learned, being off your files, does not mean it'll be statute barred.

The mix up is because both take 6 years, but for differing reasons. A debt is statute barred after 6 years of no payment of acknowledgement. However, paid or not paid, defaults drop off your file 6 years after the default date.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,323Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter