Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 11th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,559Posts
    • 1,666Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Octavia or Superb?
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    Octavia or Superb? 11th Nov 17 at 7:07 AM
    Hello I've been looking into potential new cars for a while.

Our current car is a mk2 facelift Ford Focus (59) within the next year or so I'll be looking to replace it. Main reason being the need for more space.

We manage fine at the moment with myself, wife, 1yo son and all the extra stuff we have to bring along. But we've got another on the way so will lose the back seat and therefore have a lot more going in the boot.

We holiday in this country a lot, self catering cottages and it's insane how much you have to cram into the car for a two week holiday with a young one. We only just managed this summer. We wouldn't have been able to do it with two.

We've also go an extended rear facing car seat, it only fits behind the passenger seat and only if that's pulled all the way forward, which obviously isn't comfortable for the passenger.

I've looked at MPVs but theyre just not right. The best in theory are made by Citroen, and have awful owner reviews. Cars like the CMax only have ever so slightly larger boots than my current car. So instead I've looked at estates - much better running costs.

Skoda Octavia Estate mkIII and Superb Estate mkIII are very well reviewed by car reviewers and owners. They fare well in satisfaction surveys. And the both offer large amounts of space. The Octavia boot is over half again the capacity of my Focus.

What I'm trying to work out is whether it's worth paying extra for the Superb over the Octavia

Both cars offer decent drive, good passenger space, big boots and relatively low prices compared to over cars in their class.

From what I understand the main differences are:

Superb - longer and wider
    More rear leg room (good for extended rear facing car seat!)
    Slightly larger boot (30L)
    Quieter on the road
    More comfortable suspension set up

Downsides obviously being bit harder to park because of the extra size and costs a few thousand pounds more for te same engine.

I'm just asking if anyone has any experience of either or both cars to compare.

I'd be buying used - 15 plate probably as I'd be looking at c3 year old cars
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 11-11-2017 at 7:42 AM.
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
Page 2
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 3rd Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Looking at reviews the main differences seem to be - Passat slightly smaller but also quieter at speed.

Other than that they're basically the same car other than styling.

So if I can indeed get one for a couple grand cheaper I'll go for the VW.

I was surprised as I was expecting the Passat to be more expensive. It definitely looks to be the better value proposition second hand - even if the Superb makes more sense buying new.

motorguy - it's actually the same width as my current car - just longer so much bigger boot. So I'd also probably be happier with that size
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 03-12-2017 at 6:10 PM.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Dec 17, 6:09 PM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,474 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Octavia or Superb, Superb if you can afford the Estate. If not buy a Mondeo Estate.

Huge amount of car for the money.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    Looking at reviews the main differences seem to be - Passat slightly smaller but also quieter at speed.

Other than that they're basically the same car other than styling.

So if I can indeed get one for a couple grand cheaper I'll go for the VW.

I was surprised as I was expecting the Passat to be more expensive. It definitely looks to be the better value proposition second hand - even if the Superb makes more sense buying new.

motorguy - it's actually the same width as my current car - just longer so much bigger boot. So I'd also probably be happier with that size
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    Yes, it surprised me too. Theres not many new model Superbs about therefore demand is high and prices are high, however there are loads of Passats about so even though demand is high, prices are lower. It tends to work best at a year old as lots are coming off ex fleet.

SE Business spec is a good balance IMHO - you get Nav, active cruise, parking sensors front / rear, better infotainment system, the bigger 17 inch alloys, as well as the usual climate, electrics, DAB, etc.

Cheapest reasonable miled 2016 Passat 2.0TDI SE Business (with NAV) estate - £14,799

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712011731502?aggregatedTrim=SE%20Business&radiu s=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&make=VOLKSWAGEN&body-type=Estate&model=PASSAT&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&ones earchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&postcode=sn251ta&page=1

Cheapest reasonable miled 2016 Superd 2.0TDI SE with NAV estate - £16,494

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705045071349?body-type=Estate&make=SKODA&model=SUPERB&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&year-from=2016&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&postcode=sn251ta&onesearchad=Used&onesear chad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&page=1
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 3rd Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    I did look at the Ford Tourneo connect - just while generally looking at cars with good boots - can't beat a van lol

But found similarly that because there are so few of them for sale second hand - like 70 in the country. Considering how cheap they are to buy new at three years old they're pretty expensive! retaining their value purely because of how few of them there are available.

• mobileron
    • By mobileron 4th Dec 17, 1:44 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    mobileron
    I have a Superb and find it a first class car,now 4.5 years old and never had any problems. The most important thing is to ensure it has not had the[B] VAG emissions fix done.

There are big issues of perfect vehicles running badly after the upgrade, check out the Skoda forum.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 6th Dec 17, 6:19 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    How have you found the 1.6 engine motorguy?

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    How have you found the 1.6 engine motorguy?
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    The engine itself has been great. Its not the worlds most powerful unit at 120BHP but it can keep the car going at a decent turn of speed. (our other car is a 380BHP Mercedes so anything else doesnt feel quick anyway)

The one thing i would flag is that it has already had DPF problems and has had the DPF / Catalytic Converter (?) emissions unit replace at what would have cost £2,350 had i been paying for it. That happened 2 weeks after i bought it, so even though it had covered 16,000 miles in its first year, clearly the driving style of the previous owner(s) didnt suit it.

Thats now in the back of my mind as a "worry" now, although it might have been a one off. The 1.6 does get a bit of a name for being more sensitive / more likely to suffer from DPF related issues. How much that absolutely impacts them (as a percentage of cars out there) i dont know.

It can do 55mpg if ran with economy in mind, but i'm getting around 47mpg but i do drive it on. A lot.

I'd probably personally go for a 2.0TDI if your budget will stretch, however the 1.6TDI is fine generally in terms of performance.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 6th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    My current car has a reputation for blowing turbos (1.6 tdci pug)

Luckily I've had no problems with it. Although servicing regularly and only doing long runs has probably helped.

I get average of 60mpg over the year (measured myself over time)

55 doesn't sound too bad for a larger car.

I'm going to hold off til Spring or summer and hopefully get a 2015/16 car. If I can get as close to 10k once my cars part ex is taken off as possible I'll be happy.
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 06-12-2017 at 7:04 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter