Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 11th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,560Posts
    • 1,667Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Octavia or Superb?
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    Octavia or Superb? 11th Nov 17 at 7:07 AM
    Hello I've been looking into potential new cars for a while.

Our current car is a mk2 facelift Ford Focus (59) within the next year or so I'll be looking to replace it. Main reason being the need for more space.

We manage fine at the moment with myself, wife, 1yo son and all the extra stuff we have to bring along. But we've got another on the way so will lose the back seat and therefore have a lot more going in the boot.

We holiday in this country a lot, self catering cottages and it's insane how much you have to cram into the car for a two week holiday with a young one. We only just managed this summer. We wouldn't have been able to do it with two.

We've also go an extended rear facing car seat, it only fits behind the passenger seat and only if that's pulled all the way forward, which obviously isn't comfortable for the passenger.

I've looked at MPVs but theyre just not right. The best in theory are made by Citroen, and have awful owner reviews. Cars like the CMax only have ever so slightly larger boots than my current car. So instead I've looked at estates - much better running costs.

Skoda Octavia Estate mkIII and Superb Estate mkIII are very well reviewed by car reviewers and owners. They fare well in satisfaction surveys. And the both offer large amounts of space. The Octavia boot is over half again the capacity of my Focus.

What I'm trying to work out is whether it's worth paying extra for the Superb over the Octavia

Both cars offer decent drive, good passenger space, big boots and relatively low prices compared to over cars in their class.

From what I understand the main differences are:

Superb - longer and wider
    More rear leg room (good for extended rear facing car seat!)
    Slightly larger boot (30L)
    Quieter on the road
    More comfortable suspension set up

Downsides obviously being bit harder to park because of the extra size and costs a few thousand pounds more for te same engine.

I'm just asking if anyone has any experience of either or both cars to compare.

I'd be buying used - 15 plate probably as I'd be looking at c3 year old cars
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 11-11-2017 at 7:42 AM.
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
Page 1
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 11th Nov 17, 7:34 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:34 AM
    I was in a similar situation, had to let go of a Ford and now have 2 babies. So safety and boot space were considered but I went for the avensis hatchback t25 which has 510 litres boot space and I think it won an award for safety. There was a recall for an air bag but that is it.

Probably longer and wider than the Octavia.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 11th Nov 17, 7:34 AM
    • 6,092 Posts
    • 5,525 Thanks
    Herzlos
    You should be able to get by in the octavia but the superb is nicer. I'd take the superb.
    A roof box would give you more load space on top.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 11th Nov 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:39 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:39 AM
    You should be able to get by in the octavia but the superb is nicer. I'd take the superb.
    A roof box would give you more load space on top.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    That was first thought, but we really don't have anywhere to store a roof box when not in use. I'd also like the practicality of having one large boot for times when I'm carrying large items which I do quite a lot, as I do everything DIY.

• Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    I would go for the Superb, once you have the extra space I am sure you will use it.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 11th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    Ive got the Superb,love it,easy to handle and 60 mpg on a long run,ensure its not had emission fix
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    I would go for the Superb, once you have the extra space I am sure you will use it.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    I have found that the amount of cräp you take is directly proportional to the size of the boot. You will always fill it.

When I was child, my parents used to manage to fit two children and all the paraphernalia necessary for a two week camping holiday in France into a Hillman Minx saloon.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 10,302 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    If you're happy with Fords why not consider the Mondeo estate?
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 11th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    harrys dad
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    I have found that the amount of cräp you take is directly proportional to the size of the boot. You will always fill it.

When I was child, my parents used to manage to fit two children and all the paraphernalia necessary for a two week camping holiday in France into a Hillman Minx saloon.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    A Hillman Minx? I fitted a wife and three children into a Hillman Imp

Having said that I agree with you, bigger is better, get the Superb (assuming it is the new model).
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 11th Nov 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    If you're happy with Fords why not consider the Mondeo estate?
    Originally posted by neilmcl

I did, but for the same age/mileage car looking at a 2.0L diesel the mondeo is a couple of grand more expensive to buy, more expensive to tax (granted only a tenner!) and has a smaller boot than the Octavia.
    I would miss the quick clear windscreen though!

• JP1978
    • By JP1978 11th Nov 17, 10:41 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    JP1978
    I did, but for the same age/mileage car looking at a 2.0L diesel the mondeo is a couple of grand more expensive to buy, more expensive to tax (granted only a tenner!) and has a smaller boot than the Octavia.
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    Some of the higher up Skodas also have heated windscreens.

Out of interest have you looked at the Kia Optima - seem to be a lot of car for the money.
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 11th Nov 17, 11:20 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas
    FWIW, my last company car was a 16-plate Superb SE Business estate 1.6 diesel greenline. I’ve now got a 65-plate Octavia SE L estate 1.6 diesel. So I can make a meaningful comparison.

Superb had more rear leg room and a slightly larger boot. However, since having the Octavia, I’ve never thought that I’ve needed the extra space. They both drive nicely, and the interior layout is pretty much identical - the only difference being the Superb has an electric handbrake.

Over the 19018 miles I drove the Superb it averaged a real (brim-to-brim) 55.8 mpg. Over 14825 miles in the Octavia it’s done a real 61.9 mpg.

Hope that helps.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 11th Nov 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Over the 19018 miles I drove the Superb it averaged a real (brim-to-brim) 55.8 mpg. Over 14825 miles in the Octavia it’s done a real 61.9 mpg.
    Originally posted by Zero Gravitas
    That tallies well with the average on Honest John - Real MPG.

Was that mainly motorway? What sort of speed? If you don't mind me being nosey

• MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 11th Nov 17, 2:19 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 2,660 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    I've got an Octavia with 2 kids now 4 and 8 had it for 7 years so it's done fine through all the child care clobber years and we holiday in the UK mostly. Just got a roof rack for bikes this year. I feel the superb would be a bit big day to day. Mines a 1.4TSI petrol which gets about 40 to 44 mpg depending on driving type and style.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Tarambor
    and has a smaller boot than the Octavia.
    Wow. I know how much crap I can get in my Mondeo and I think the boot is huge. As for the quick clear windscreen, it is one of the main factors (along with cheap repair costs) that has kept me in a Ford since the first quick clear screen I had in a Ford Sierra many years ago.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 3rd Dec 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Worth considering the Passat too.

I hadn't actually looked at prices until now. But the used prices are £2000 cheaper than the Superb looking at 2.0 TDI SE Business

• Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 3rd Dec 17, 7:29 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    I've had both the Octavia and the Superb albeit saloons not estates and regularly did long trips with 4 adults.

The extra legroom is noticeable and made the journeys more comfortable.

So size DOES matter. A couple of inches makes all the difference
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 3rd Dec 17, 8:54 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas
    That tallies well with the average on Honest John - Real MPG.

Was that mainly motorway? What sort of speed? If you don't mind me being nosey
    Sorry- only just seen this. The mileage was over a daily commute of 75 miles, or which 70 miles was motorway/dual carriageway, and 5 miles was generally stop/start urban. Motorway cruising speed of 65 mph.
    Last edited by Zero Gravitas; 03-12-2017 at 8:54 AM. Reason: Forgot cruising speed.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 3rd Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Richard53
    Forget the C-Max. No more space than the Focus, just more upright and beige cardigan.

My wife has a newish Octavia hatchback and the load area is huge. The estate has a little more, but there isn't much in it. It's a nice car and drives well. I'd second the Ford Mondeo option, though. The estate is absolutely huge in the back. I had one for 7 years and it was a properly nice car to drive, as well as being economical and cheap to fix - not that it needed much. If you want a diesel, look for one made before 2007 (Mk III) and you won't have any of the DPF headaches that a modern diesel has.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 15,826 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    Worth considering the Passat too.

I hadn't actually looked at prices until now. But the used prices are £2000 cheaper than the Superb looking at 2.0 TDI SE Business
    +1

Loads of Passats about that are ex fleet and that prevalence has driven the prices down.

I was able to buy a year old Passat 1.6TDI SE Business Edition for considerably less than an equivalent Superb at the time.

The Passat to me is a better size than the Superb too.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter