Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 6th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,402Posts
    • 34,598Thanks
    Natty68
    When is it too early for Christmas adverts?
    • 6th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    When is it too early for Christmas adverts? 6th Nov 17 at 11:05 AM
    I literally saw my first Christmas advert Saturday morning and ever since they are now nearly every other advert. I also noticed that one of the channels has "Festive moments sponsored by TalkTalk" when a programme is on.

I mean it's only 6th November, surely.this is too early for these things on tv. What do others think?

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 5
    • robin58
    • By robin58 14th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 2,098 Thanks
    robin58
    I've just seen the Christmas ad for Argos. I just want to go hide!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 14th Nov 17, 9:32 PM
    • 26,828 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    They do, if only in terms of brand recognition. The ad will embed the company name into your thought process without you even realising it. Meaning that when you do consider buying something, their name will pop into your head; it also has a hangover effect into the post-Christmas sales.

Q4 is big business in retail - you wouldn’t believe the detailed daily sales analysis, it’s a humongous operation - and every little nudge helps.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I think theres an element of they advertise so we had better too. You dont want a rival putting themselves in peoples minds and people forgetting about your stores.
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 14th Nov 17, 10:58 PM
    • 30,342 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Marisco
    An ad could have influenced your choices in some way without you even realising. I dont think they expect their ads to win over every person who sees them.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    No belive me, they don't. The sort of stuff I buy is never advertised as I don't shop in large department stores. Although I will be going to M & S, but that has nothing to do with Paddington, but more to do with the fact I have an M & S gift card
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 14th Nov 17, 11:34 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I think that it's the best one this year.
    What has been annoying me about the Christmas ads is the amount of people complaining. Supposedly, the Paddington one includes a naughty word, and the Amazon one where the bloke is walking through the house telling the pressies to 'ssshh' has upset parents. Apparently 'it has ruined Christmas for their kiddiewinkles, 'cos it suggests that Santa doesn't exist' (or summat)
    What gets me about the Santa thing is that when we had doubts as kids regarding the existence of Santa, our parents made stuff up. That lack of chimney was explained by a 'magic key'
    So, the complaining suggests to me that today's parents have no imagination. Either that, or our parents were bleddy good liars
    People/snowflakes/the very easily offended need to jog on. It's an advert - if you don't like it, turn the telly channel over.
    Grumble over.
    Originally posted by dontone
    I'm neither a telly watcher or a celebrator of 'Christmas' - it's only by chance that I saw the Paddington bear advert and I didn't 'get it' In previous years, I've only been interested in the chrimbo foodie commercials because that's the industry I've been involved in, and it's amused me that the same little factory can churn out spectacular lines for competing retailers - I love seeing how it's presented whilst knowing, at the same time, how it is made
    It's all hype . . and packaging . . and hard sell!

Santa doesn't exist -I never lied to my kids. Always told them that 'Some people believe . . . ' and gave way to many fanciful fairy stories in this way!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    • 24,161 Posts
    • 50,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    No belive me, they don't. The sort of stuff I buy is never advertised as I don't shop in large department stores. Although I will be going to M & S, but that has nothing to do with Paddington, but more to do with the fact I have an M & S gift card
    Originally posted by Marisco
    These ads are targeted at susceptible shoppers: those with disposable income and a wish to buy for Christmas and looking for quality (note none of the ads stress value at Christmas, we may see that from the supermarkets closer to the day). They are not aimed at people with their purses wired shut.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Nov 17, 7:08 AM
    • 24,161 Posts
    • 50,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Santa doesn't exist -I never lied to my kids. Always told them that 'Some people believe . . . ' and gave way to many fanciful fairy stories in this way!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    My niece is in no doubt, Santa is alive and well and visits every day....in the form of her auntie bearing gifts
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 15th Nov 17, 8:03 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    sillygoose
    They do, if only in terms of brand recognition. The ad will embed the company name into your thought process without you even realising it. Meaning that when you do consider buying something, their name will pop into your head; it also has a hangover effect into the post-Christmas sales.

Q4 is big business in retail - you wouldn’t believe the detailed daily sales analysis, it’s a humongous operation - and every little nudge helps.
    I see what you did there, admit it, your subliminally trolling for Tesco aren't you!
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 15th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 30,342 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Marisco
    These ads are targeted at susceptible shoppers: those with disposable income and a wish to buy for Christmas and looking for quality (note none of the ads stress value at Christmas, we may see that from the supermarkets closer to the day). They are not aimed at people with their purses wired shut.

My purse is certainly not wired shut, I sometimes wish it was. I'm a fraud on this site really, as I'm not really into "moneysaving" in a big way. If I told you my weekly grocery bill, you'd fall off your chair No, I don't shop in those stores, because I don't like the racks and racks of the same thing in different sizes.

I like handmade ethnic clothes (ethically made) that tend to be either one offs, or very few made, that you cannot buy in department stores. As they are not really cheap I don't have wardrobes full of clothes or follow fashion either. I do shop sometimes in Primark if I only want leggings or a T shirt though.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    My niece is in no doubt, Santa is alive and well and visits every day....in the form of her auntie bearing gifts
    So not Santa at all!
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Nov 17, 9:28 AM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I had to rack my brain to remember which store the Paddington advert was for even a day after I'd seen it!
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 15th Nov 17, 10:06 AM
    • 30,342 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Marisco
    I had to rack my brain to remember which store the Paddington advert was for even a day after I'd seen it!
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    I love that ad, I love Paddington and I like Mark Benton as well. They reckon if people cannot remember what the ad is for, it's a bad one.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 30,996 Posts
    • 114,205 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Saw the Debenhams ad a bit earlier, and I quite liked it.

Just sayin'.

Edit.....sorry, dekaspace, but it's another mixed race one!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 18-11-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Nov 17, 1:47 PM
    • 26,199 Posts
    • 33,249 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Illustrator Chris Riddell accuses John Lewis over Christmas ad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42024235
    Although JL deny it it does look remarkably similar to the book. Pieces less similar have been classed as plagiarism.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 19th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 6,657 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Just seen the Sainsburys ad, Best one so far.....

Last edited by barmonkey; 19-11-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 19th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 16,349 Posts
    • 42,990 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    It used to be when they showed the Christmas Coca Cola ad with the lorry then it was Christmas. They showed it last night and it didn't seem special.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • iltisman
    • By iltisman 22nd Nov 17, 1:44 AM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    iltisman
    If you like teddy bears you will like this years Heathrow ad
    https://youtu.be/Cheo1P22cUU
    It's only my cheerfulness that keeps me going
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 22nd Nov 17, 7:55 AM
    • 30,342 Posts
    • 85,946 Thanks
    Marisco
    If you like teddy bears you will like this years Heathrow ad
    https://youtu.be/Cheo1P22cUU
    Originally posted by iltisman
    Aww that's a lovely ad
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 18,545 Posts
    • 47,742 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Aww that's a lovely ad
    It really is.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 22nd Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Happy to say I never watch adverts. Only watch live on BBC, any programmes on commercial TV I record and jump through the adverts, bliss.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 29th Nov 17, 11:16 PM
    • 7,275 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb32Ego033o

Funniest one so far!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter