Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 3Thanks
    2004arron
    Received statement from creditor.
    • 9th Nov 17, 5:13 PM
    Received statement from creditor. 9th Nov 17 at 5:13 PM
    Good evening.

Iíve disputed a debt that I have from 2009 that lowell are now trying to collect.

Iíve been awaiting a statement from the original creditor. It arrived today and Iím sceptical that a company (provident) can be so lapse with the statement.

The statement is from 2009 to 2013. The statement looks like a someone with basic IT skill has put it together. E.g thereís no company details like a logo. Also the transaction dates are jumping randomly and in no order.

Iím sceptical as the amounts collected (apparently from an agent) range from 50p a week to £1 then a £3.49 payment.

How can I beat go about disputing the statement?

Can I ask for addresses attended?

Can I contact the original creditor?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    ‘I’ve disputed a debt that I have’. What are you disputing, if you say it’s your debt?
    ‘Amounts collected apparently from an agent’. Did the agent collect from you or not?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 9th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    I’ve got no recollection of the debt let alone someone knocking on my door for £1 payments
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    Iíve got no recollection of the debt let alone someone knocking on my door for £1 payments
    Originally posted by 2004arron
    Have you never had a doorstep loan, or is it more that you cannot remember this one in particular?

I wouldn't expect a computer printout to have a company heading on it. There's nothing sceptical or lax about that.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    Iíve got no recollection of the debt let alone someone knocking on my door for £1 payments
    Then the first thing you need from them is the address that the loan was registered at. Agents collecting from you had no more than a book to write the details in, but should have reconciled their collections on a sheet when they tallied up, took their commission and handed the sheet and takings into the office.
    There must have been a record of your name, address and loan amount if nothing else.

If they come back with an address that you have previously lived at, Iíd say itís your debt, so theyíll say itís your debt.
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    I’m still awaiting conformation of my prove it letter.

I’ve received this statement allegedly from the creditor saying that I gave the agent £1 every week he/she called.

This is nonsense.

The statement indicates

1x 50p
    96x £1
    13x £2
    5x £3
    1x£3.01
    1x £3.49
    6x £4
    3x £5
    1x £6
    1 x£7.50
    1 x £12
    1 x £ 17.50

Do these payments are and were not made by me.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    Well...The agent took your (or somebody’s) payment and wrote it in their little book, a most unsatisfactory way of doing business. Mistakes (a nice way of putting it) could well happen.
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 09-11-2017 at 8:07 PM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Nov 17, 8:04 PM
    • 11,517 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:04 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:04 PM
    You've got the statement

Have they sent a copy of the original agreement with your signature on it?

The former just 'proves' someone has been making payments to it. It is the latter that proves it's your debt.
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    So something has been brought to light. Another letter came through the post today (my partner has informed me)
    It seems to be the credit agreement.

Good news is that it’s not my signature
    Bad news is that it’s at my parents old house in 2009.

The debt was from sept 09 to Aug 13, I didn’t live there at that time.

What’s the next step?
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 9th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Sarastro
    Write to the debt collection agency and tell them it's not your signature and you weren't living there at that time.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    Can you make out the signature?
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    my first 2 intials are correct by the sir name is unreadable.
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 9th Nov 17, 9:01 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2004arron
    If I contacted the council and got a council tax letter stipulating I wasn’t living at this address, would that help?
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 9th Nov 17, 10:13 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    Good news is that it’s not my signature
    Bad news is that it’s at my parents old house in 2009.

The debt was from sept 09 to Aug 13, I didn’t live there at that time.
    If it wasn't you, then presumably it was another member of your family who took out the loan in your name.
    Last edited by bengal-stripe; 10-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 9th Nov 17, 10:31 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    If I contacted the council and got a council tax letter stipulating I wasnít living at this address, would that help?
    If you weren't living there, then the Council cannot give you a copy of the then-residents council tax bill.

Did you parents live there at the time? If so, it could be fraud on their part / another family member. If it was an old house at the time then it could be the new tenants committing fraud?

Either way, you need to state it's not your signature and that you never took the loan. If it's registered to an address you have been known for (parent's house means you may have had accounts there in the past?) then you'll be in for a fight. If you didn't take the loan out, then you'll need to report it as fraud and get whomever did it prosecuted for them to be held accountable.

If it is a family member and you don't report the fraud (because you don't want them in trouble), then for all intensive purposes, it will be your debt to pay.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Nov 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    IAmWales
    If I contacted the council and got a council tax letter stipulating I wasnít living at this address, would that help?
    The council cannot do this.

The people that were living at the house will be able to confirm it for you. What have they said about this?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 10th Nov 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    Candyapple
    So something has been brought to light. Another letter came through the post today (my partner has informed me)
    It seems to be the credit agreement.

Good news is that itís not my signature
    Bad news is that itís at my parents old house in 2009.

The debt was from sept 09 to Aug 13, I didnít live there at that time.

Whatís the next step?
    For everyone else, this thread provides some more info:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73244092#post73244092

Step 1: Obtain copies of all 3 of your credit reports to see if there are other accounts you don't recognise.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com

Step 2: Report ID theft to police in order to obtain a crime reference number:
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/identity_fraud

Step 3: Write to Lowells / any other lenders on your files for accounts taken out in your name which you don't recognise and inform them that:

a) the account was taken out fraudulently by ID theft. Where possible, if it shows on your credit reports that you were on the electoral roll elsewhere at this time, provide a copy of this and/or any bank/card statement during this time period showing a different address (blackout transactions etc, all they need to see is the address) to further backup your case.

b) supply them with the crime reference number so that they know you have reported it to the police and if they need to pursue costs they know who to contact

c) Ask them to remove the accounts from your files

Step 4: Sign up for CIFAS protective registration to prevent your mum from doing this again in the future.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    nic_c
    Was your family living there at the time, if so it could be fraud by family. If family had moved out it could be fraud by new occupants. As to the strange amounts, often there would be multiple loans (e.g. more than one member of the family, or additional loans taken out) and so the collector will divvy the £5 or whatever given amongst them.

You should report fraud, and as suggested, check all your credit files.

The other possibility is they have the wrong family member - was there family there with a similar name, or initials? It's just would weekly payments be made if it was fraud?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter