Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rnickster
    • By rnickster 8th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 4Thanks
    rnickster
    Building Supplies Online - 'Attempted Delivery' a Joke!
    • 8th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    Building Supplies Online - 'Attempted Delivery' a Joke! 8th Nov 17 at 3:59 PM
    We ordered £240 worth of plasterboard from building-supplies-online.co.uk (on debit card sadly) with a delivery date of Friday 3rd. My girlfriend requested to work from home to accept delivery. She was in the house all day and nothing came. I suspect we could provide Google location history proof of this but have yet to check.

I had 2 missed calls in the morning of Friday 3rd whilst in meetings at work so I called them back (my number was their contact number as I made the order). I spoke to the driver who said that they 'attempted delivery' but no one was home and the neighbours 'refused delivery'. I explained this was impossible because my girlfriend was in the property all day, working in silence, waiting for them. She didn't hear a lorry/large vehicle ever pull up to our drive and no body rang the door bell or knocked on the door. The driver I spoke to said that I would need to call BSO to re-arrange delivery.

BSO have no phone number on their website. So I used their live chat to explain. I have the transcripts for these where I explain the situation and our disappointment that we've had to schedule a day to stay at home and in our experience, had no 'attempt at delivery' whatsoever.

I can provide the transcripts and emails since the initial chat and we have since been told that for re-delivery we need to pay another £50 because we 'were not in to accept delivery'. We argued this was unfair, someone was home all day and there was no attempt at delivery at all. We explained we expected a re-delivery at no additional cost to us. We waited for over 24 hours and have now been told (again) via email we have 2 options 1. re-delivery will be £60 or 2. Cancel the order and pay £90 re stock fee. We feel our polite and informative email has been completely ignored. We now just want a complete refund and never to deal with this company again.

I have transcripts of the whole discussion with them and can upload if required? The terms and conditions on their website are very contradicting so their supposed options seem complete unjustified.

What is the best way to deal with this company. No phone numbers, stubborn and seem to be money grabbers. I regret not checking TrustPilot reviews before ordering with them because it seems they are a sort of middle man with terrible customer service/after sales support.
    Last edited by rnickster; 08-11-2017 at 4:34 PM.
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Nov 17, 12:55 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Can't agree with that at all; the majority of drivers are hard-working, considerate and competent but also lots out there that are lazy and incompetent. We probably get one "no-one was in" every other month despite there always being someone at the property and CCTV proving no such delivery was ever attempted!
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    My point was that Google Location History is just as much evidence for the driver as it would be for the recipient. Drivers do have SatNav fitted to their vehicles and many delivery services do indeed use such location history to show that delivery was attempted at the correct address. Remember, this was a delivery of building materials, so not simply a courier in their own car.

confirmation by neighbours would rule out any such doubt.
    How would it rule out any doubt? Neighbours might not have heard the doorbell either. They might not have been in.
    Would you accept a bulk delivery of plasterboard on behalf of your neighbour?
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 09-11-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 9th Nov 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    harrys dad
    That's quite normal for a lot of sites.

Plus there is a telephone number listed on their site - 01295 701777
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    It can't be that easy to find then (waits for you to show me how poor I am at looking )
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 9th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    How would it rule out any doubt? Neighbours might not have heard the doorbell either. They might not have been in.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    The driver spoke to "the neighbours"...

the neighbours 'refused delivery'.
    Originally posted by rnickster
    Although of course no-one is quite sure whose neighbours the driver spoke to!
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Although of course no-one is quite sure whose neighbours the driver spoke to!
    The driver's SatNav log would show whether he was at the correct address (well, within a few metres)
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 9th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    Delivery drivers have location history as well, so it's also unlikely that he went to the wrong address.
    Drivers do have SatNav fitted to their vehicles and many delivery services do indeed use such location history to show that delivery was attempted at the correct address.
    The driver's SatNav log would show whether he was at the correct address (well, within a few metres)
    You are repeatedly stating as fact things that are only your guesswork. It's entirely possible that the driver has no SatNav location history or log.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 9th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    I'm sure they exist but I've never seen or used one that showed more than the very last journey; there's no guarantee this particular driver had such a one or if he did that the satnav can still show the exact journey taken almost a week ago.

Even if the driver was in the approximate area the OP lives in, depending on how built-up the area was, there's no proof there that he knocked on the correct door or correct neighbour. I can't remember who but one firm takes a photo of the front door when they leave a card as proof of the address visited.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 9th Nov 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    I wouldn't bother arguing as it seems like you're not going to get anywhere.

Contact you card provider for a chargeback - Goods not delivered.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    This.

They are making things up as they go along and ignoring their own terms and conditions. Go to your card provider instead.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Nov 17, 2:14 PM
    • 18,896 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm sure they exist but I've never seen or used one that showed more than the very last journey; there's no guarantee this particular driver had such a one or if he did that the satnav can still show the exact journey taken almost a week ago.
    I've just realised I'm countering your posts as if I am the delivery agent. My original point was that the customer's reference to having Google Location evidence was not proof of anything.

As an aside, I can assure you that large Hi-Ab type delivery vehicles do have SatNav fitted which logs their various locations throughout the day and makes it easy for them to find the delivery location. Such vehicles cost a lot to run and it's far more economical for even small firms to have these devices than not. As I said, we are not talking about a courier in his own vehicle delivering a small parcel.

Instead of arguing about his flimsy "evidence" the OP should have already instigated a Chargeback.
    • rnickster
    • By rnickster 9th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rnickster
    It is my understanding from this websites advice that before attempting a chargeback (via debit card), you should attempt to resolve with company. That is what we are currently doing.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 9th Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    It is my understanding from this websites advice that before attempting a chargeback (via debit card), you should attempt to resolve with company. That is what we are currently doing.
    Originally posted by rnickster
    The only direction they seem to be sending you in is circles.

You're obviously more patient then me. As soon as they started quoting a variety of re-delivery fees for something that was not my fault, I would have been straight on the phone to the bank.
    Last edited by powerful_Rogue; 09-11-2017 at 5:23 PM.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 9th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I've just realised I'm countering your posts as if I am the delivery agent. My original point was that the customer's reference to having Google Location evidence was not proof of anything.
    Balance of probabilities.

Your worship, I present to you the following information:

1) I arranged delivery for that specific day. I would not have chosen that date if I was not going to be in.
    2) I worked from home that day so I would have been in all day
    3) I have copies of my Google Locations, which shows I was at the address with my phone

Possible extras:
    4) I have a letter from work saying I was working from home that day
    5) I have copies of mobile/landline bills showing I made various work related calls from at home that day

etc etc
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 9th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    MataNui
    Just do a chargeback. Its a simple non delivery of goods.

That way you have the money and if they really want to be tossers over it they would need to take you to court to claim a restocking fee. They wouldnt get very far with that as the balance of probability seems to suggest they are lying about the original delivery. Additionally a judge would not see it favorably that they appear to be changing prices at will and acting against their own published T&Cs.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    If you look at their reviews there is a history of treating the customer with contempt and messed up deliveries and lack of communication.
    Eg
    “The most UNRELIABLE company that I have ever worked in the past. I run GBL studios and other hospitality business. We have bought a lot of material for several months with BSO and they were ALWAYS LATE WITH EVERY SINGLE DELIVERY. The managers and people that work in the office do not care about it and they are completely mess !
    Many times I explained to them that I had 7x builder in the site doing nothing because the material didn't turn up and the only thing i got was "apologies , excuses , excuses and BLAH BLAH " they have never even gave me a single penny as discount to compensate my loss !!!
    Now, I'm now buying straight from the suppliers that bso is buying from such as CCF , etc ! If you need any proof please contact me and I show you all the email .
    watch out ! ”

Had the driver simply put a card through the ops door all this would have been avoided ..
    Last edited by hollydays; 09-11-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    • rnickster
    • By rnickster 29th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rnickster
    Hi all, just a small update,

we contacted the bank regarding a chargeback, they sent a form which we filled out and returned with transcripts of all communication to support our case.

We were promptly refunded and sent an email from BSO saying it had been handed to the refunds department and apologies for inconvenience.

Will be posting our own trust pilot review and writing letter of complaint to the company.

Cheers for everyones help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter